Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

Posted by Anders Green 
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

Re: Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!
December 15, 2015 01:28PM
It will be interesting to see how many of those new tow rigs and trailers in western CA will continue to show up now that oil is sub $40 per barrel

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

December 15, 2015 01:33PM
In other news, there are now two North American rally events in the next couple months that allow WRC-style studded tires. I would love to run both events but doubt I can make it happen. And not sure what use the tires would be sitting in the corner of my garage in Virginia dry-rotting.

Rally is saved!

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Dante
Allan Dantes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

December 15, 2015 01:54PM
2 Wheel Drive Deluxe Discounts will save RALLY!

yUSSSS!!!

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Godlike Moderator

December 15, 2015 02:03PM
Josh Wimpey
In other news, there are now two North American rally events in the next couple months that allow WRC-style studded tires. I would love to run both events but doubt I can make it happen. And not sure what use the tires would be sitting in the corner of my garage in Virginia dry-rotting.

Rally is saved!

Not sure I'd get too excited about that yet. I have a feeling not all hoops have been jumped through for that to happen, in the Quebec event at least.
You also don't have to worry about the tires sitting in the corner of the garage because it appears a spec-tire deal so you'd have to buy new pirellies at $310 ea. (in fact, it could be a spec tire deal for the entire championship)

Spec fuel and Spec tires will save rallye?

First Rally attended (2000), First Rally competed in (2001)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Driver (8), Co-Driver (47), Drivers (19)
Clerk (29), Steward (1), Official (17), Volunteer (5)
WRC Spectator (1), WRC Photographer (6), WRC Observer (4)
Rallies attended (120) Countries attended rallies in (11)
Last Updated, May30, 2022

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2015 02:13PM by Not Trolling.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

December 15, 2015 06:03PM
Josh Wimpey
It will be interesting to see how many of those new tow rigs and trailers in western CA will continue to show up now that oil is sub $40 per barrel

CAN, not CA. You had me confused and scratching my head wondering who around here had gotten a new rig.

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 15, 2015 06:28PM
Not Trolling
Josh Wimpey

Rally is saved!

Not sure I'd get too excited about that yet. I have a feeling not all hoops have been jumped through for that to happen, in the Quebec event at least.
You also don't have to worry about the tires sitting in the corner of the garage because it appears a spec-tire deal so you'd have to buy new pirellies at $310 ea. (in fact, it could be a spec tire deal for the entire championship)

Spec fuel and Spec tires will save rallye?

I was wondering if it was a spec typre and a requirement to use ONLY these tires---meaning clever boys with less budget can't just search for and get 4-6 second hand tires like
http://www.blocket.se/vasterbotten/Avon_rally_dack__compomotive_63755102.htm?ca=1_6&w=3

or
http://www.blocket.se/jamtland
/Nya_15__och_begagnade_16__rallydack_64224401.htm?ca=1_6&w=3
Ä6 st begagnade 16" Pirelli rally däck. 2 dåliga som funkar på isbanan lr som reservhjul för rally för 250kr/st

4 st bra som går många ss mil till för --->500kr/st ''<-----500 Kr each

Or
http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Isdack_wrc15_ford_63973069.htm?ca=1_6&w=3

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Godlike Moderator

December 15, 2015 06:32PM
Josh Wimpey

Few of the teams with the big rigs are in oil related industries, but that isn't really the point. (The economic challenges will likely impact our volunteers more)

More to the point is that if you are chasing to event costs by a hundred dollars here and there in order to attract a lower budget team... you likely aren't attracting a sustainable team. One big off and they're either done, or think they'll be back until they realize they're done.

Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

December 16, 2015 09:33AM
Not Trolling
Josh Wimpey

Rally is saved!

Also worth noting, that the NASA "infographic" anders posted says only studs less than (or equal to?) 5mm - and it seems like most of the WRC-spec tires are a bit longer than that, 6.5-7mm. I know the WRC boys swear up and down that they can feel the 0.5mm difference (that's what she said!), I'm not sure I could tell the difference there. BUT, I think you'd have a much stronger argument that a 7mm stud is an advantage over a 5mm stud, and I don't think anybody wants to be checking studs on tires to make sure they're not 1-2mm longer than legal...

No idea how long the studs are (were?) on the links JVL posted, but adjusting the NASA rules to allow the same length that the WRC boys are using would definitely make it easier to use second-hand tires - and that's grassroots-friendly, isn't it?

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

December 16, 2015 01:06PM
The SCCA will save rally!

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

December 17, 2015 04:32PM
Not Trolling
Josh Wimpey

Few of the teams with the big rigs are in oil related industries, but that isn't really the point. (The economic challenges will likely impact our volunteers more)

More to the point is that if you are chasing to event costs by a hundred dollars here and there in order to attract a lower budget team... you likely aren't attracting a sustainable team. One big off and they're either done, or think they'll be back until they realize they're done.

Keith,

I take some offence at that... winking smiley

I am that team worried about $100 here or there per event. I've been rallying since 2004, and hope/plan to for a long time. I'm probably "more sustainable" then most $20 000 teams... My guess is half those drivers won't work an event, or at least be there in 10 years.

For sue I'm not the only one where $100 is a make it or break it. It's not I can't "afford" it. I can't JUSTIFY it... and may people are in the same boat, lives at home etc.

I know many organizers have the low budget teams perspective in mind, but many don't. More of "us" means more rally is saved...

Cheers

Matt
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

December 17, 2015 06:04PM
Mad Matt F
Not Trolling
Josh Wimpey

Keith,

I am that team worried about $100 here or there per event. I've been rallying since 2004, and hope/plan to for a long time. I'm probably "more sustainable" then most $20 000 teams... My guess is half those drivers won't work an event, or at least be there in 10 years.

For sue I'm not the only one where $100 is a make it or break it. It's not I can't "afford" it. I can't JUSTIFY it... and may people are in the same boat, lives at home etc.

I know many organizers have the low budget teams perspective in mind, but many don't. More of "us" means more rally is saved...

Cheers

Matt

I was going to ask Keith if I should just give up now until I read your response Matt. Very well put, sir.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 17, 2015 07:47PM
Paul Buck
Mad Matt F
Not Trolling
Josh Wimpey

Keith,

Cheers

Matt

I was going to ask Keith if I should just give up now until I read your response Matt. Very well put, sir.

Well maybe you're right...If you have to worry about only another $150 for some tracking playthings, and just another $180 for Notes because nobody can possibly drive along at 45-50mph without notes cause they'll die, or another full day off work at $XXX just so you can make notes---and anothe $XXX charge for another motel night then maybe I'm wasting my time talking without about your build project...Look, its only money...
Have you even tried to get some sponsorship? Oh wait time off from prep costs money, write 150 proposals costs money and takes you away from working and working on car....

Who the fuck am I to talk about costs, anyway? I obviously didn't learn anything in those 30 years of very intense racing---I must have misunderstood something cause even when I was racing for good money...I still watched the expenses...and saved about 76% of what I earned....that's why I drove a FRENCH diesel when I was in France....never could be cheaper transport? Why was I fretting over a mere 500FFr here and 1000 franc there when i was making 3-3.5 times the national average wage for just riding a bike and doing some wheelies?
Obviously I should have concerned myself, likely I wasn't a sustainable team. One big off and they're I was done, or tthought I'd be back until I realized they're done.

Oh wait, I did have serious offs----every single time I'd ride...confused smiley sometimes 4-5 in a day...I can't count the ligaments, cartilages, toes, fingers !!! arms, legs, teeth broken...And I raced for 20 years..
before i started with rally---and flipped on SS6, but was back NEXT event...

Whatever! Obviously you're not serious...I was drafting up the order (just checked inventory at 4PM) for your front suspensders..
Damn I guess we should be thankful to have Morison straighten us out...I'll cancel the order and when you've decided to not worry about the entry fees going up 10x, and more and more truly indispensable ideas nobody can live without and are ready to just drop off your checkbook (cause you'll never need it again) then we can order stuff..

You reprobate.

I want you to thank Morison humbly and graciously for clarifying the errors and arrogance in your thinking..or I will taunt you a second time!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Not Trolling
Keith Morison
Godlike Moderator

December 17, 2015 08:51PM
Wut-evs.

As an organiser I do everything I can to make sure entry fees are 'reasonable' and that teams feel they get good value from the events I run. For the most part I think I'm successful.

I guess the comparison I'm making is that the regional events in the west are pulling 25 to 30 entries as $700 two-day (recce/rally) events while the eastern events in both Ontario and Quebec are sub $500 one-day events in a much denser population and are drawing half that number or, in the case of one Ontario event, being cancelled.

Of course there are other factors at hand... but my point was that lower return for lower cost isn't always the right answer.

Dante
Allan Dantes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

December 18, 2015 08:20AM
Mad Matt F

Cheers

Matt

Amen brotha! I will do every event I can "Justify". If I want to do an event I WILL make it happen. Make me feel like an "also ran", field filler, or jack up my entry fee? F$ck you. I'm not coming. Treat me like a friend, with respect, and let me know you've done everything to encourage me and my friends to come play on your roads?? I WILL be there! Volunteering or racing, I will support you as well!

Rally on!

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 18, 2015 12:21PM
Not Trolling

Everyone here are mostly exceptions to that. And we are mostly the minority at most events. Often half the entry list is unknown names and are gone within 1-3 events.

Probably 3/4 that have a big off are never seem again after that first wreck.

Here are three stats that improving would help save rally.
Percentage of drivers returning to rally after first large accident (defined as requiring extensive body repair or new shell). I'd hypothesize that those that DO return, remain for 2 - 3 times longer than average. ( I bet that is a testable hypothesis Anders. )
Percentage of drivers completing at least four events within a two year period.
Percentage of drivers ignoring advice to prep a car to 1989 WRC specifications and instead just getting a car onto stage as quickly and safely as possible.

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login