Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

Posted by Anders Green 
Francois
Francois Poirier
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

Re: Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!
February 16, 2011 01:39PM
If you think that to be saved, rally need to come back to the level it was a few (many?) years ago, well then yes that will save rally.

But if you want it to "grow" from where it's at now, and keep the same "format", I think that rally cross will kill it instead.

the "top" competitor pool is so small that I don't think you can have 2 different kind of premiere series targeting the same (too) small comptetitor group.

But like I said, that might really be the next "this will save rallye" if all the big budget teams leave in favor of rallycross and that only the die hard rally competitors stay. It would cause a big drop in entries for a while, but I do think it would make rally more affordable and though bring some more (new or retired) competitors to the stages.

Won't be so good for guys like Antoine if he wants to continue stage rally instead of going stadium racing like almost all the others.

my 2 canadian cents!

Francois
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 16, 2011 03:39PM
Francois
If you think that to be saved, rally need to come back to the level it was a few (many?) years ago, well then yes that will save rally.

But if you want it to "grow" from where it's at now, and keep the same "format", I think that rally cross will kill it instead.

the "top" competitor pool is so small that I don't think you can have 2 different kind of premiere series targeting the same (too) small comptetitor group.

But like I said, that might really be the next "this will save rallye" if all the big budget teams leave in favor of rallycross and that only the die hard rally competitors stay. It would cause a big drop in entries for a while, but I do think it would make rally more affordable and though bring some more (new or retired) competitors to the stages.

Won't be so good for guys like Antoine if he wants to continue stage rally instead of going stadium racing like almost all the others.

my 2 canadian cents!

Hey Fransie I just got a PM over on Turbobricks from a Quebecoise boy who seems serious about building a 240 8v turbo. He's lining up good small support sponsors like the local bar, a beer distributor and a garage where he was manager before, but he also said something about some cheesy probably made in China but labeled as some (of the million) "Japanese' suspension---to me it looks like same ol shit---non-inverted, weak, TOO SHORT junk.
I think we should "love bomb" him, whaddya think---maybe get your car started too, eh?

Funnily enough he has a cousin in New Jersoir who did the "Soooooper Production" class (ya know 2.5 Subie non turbo class) and won a bunch with my JVAB Sooooper Bitchin Suspenders who's been on here named Mark Piatowski--and his name is also Mark or Marek en Polonaise (il est Polonaise d'origine mais Canadiene maintenant)

I have a whole lot of guys with my stuff doing real good in Onterrible, but i want to get it seen in Quebec aussi.

Are you on Turbobricks???

(To make this connected to this vitally important thread) maybe with more 240s we can save rally in Eastern Canada!

240s will Save the World!
Or a nice part of it....
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 16, 2011 03:43PM
fiasco
Jens Larsen's vision comes true...or was that Kurt Spitzner's?

It wasn't really the horribly misappropriately mis-named Spitzners' idea, he "polished it up" for somebody else, some grouch who corrected us collectively once on the appropriately named SS.com years ago.

all I can say is
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 16, 2011 03:58PM
Francois

my 2 canadian cents!
The only way to save rally is to get as many people locally to enter events. The focus needs to be on regional and local events since regional people are so crucial to organizing, running, and obtaining roads. If each region for rallying had a solid 50-100 competitor base then events would be on more stable ground. Local companies would have a reason to sponsor local events and local drivers.
The way I see to achieve this is by having multiple events and types of events and a structured and linked step ladder but with none being the premiere or claiming focus. (rallycross, stage rally, TSD)
Every event weekend should be two of these with the competitors providing the staffing back and forth. Stage rally Saturday run by the competitors from the rallycross on Sunday which is ran by the stage rally guys.
I'm in the early early stage of planning for a two day event of this format. Rallycross competitors that work the stage event get free entry. Stage rally guys get a rebate if they stay to work on Sunday. Any competitor that tows more than 1000 miles one way will get free entry to the event. Both events will be shown on local free public television stations.
Anyhow, I have other ideas but I've got to go play with the kids before I head back to Denver.
Francois
Francois Poirier
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

February 17, 2011 08:48AM
john vanlandingham

Hey Fransie I just got a PM over on Turbobricks from a Quebecoise boy who seems serious about building a 240 8v turbo. He's lining up good small support sponsors like the local bar, a beer distributor and a garage where he was manager before, but he also said something about some cheesy probably made in China but labeled as some (of the million) "Japanese' suspension---to me it looks like same ol shit---non-inverted, weak, TOO SHORT junk.
I think we should "love bomb" him, whaddya think---maybe get your car started too, eh?

Funnily enough he has a cousin in New Jersoir who did the "Soooooper Production" class (ya know 2.5 Subie non turbo class) and won a bunch with my JVAB Sooooper Bitchin Suspenders who's been on here named Mark Piatowski--and his name is also Mark or Marek en Polonaise (il est Polonaise d'origine mais Canadiene maintenant)

I have a whole lot of guys with my stuff doing real good in Onterrible, but i want to get it seen in Quebec aussi.

Are you on Turbobricks???

(To make this connected to this vitally important thread) maybe with more 240s we can save rally in Eastern Canada!

240s will Save the World!
Or a nice part of it....

Oh I know Marek! A nice guy, bought some wheels from him when I bought my Volvo. But sometimes he got some weird ideas. That being said, I'm guilty of having weird (even stupid) ideas too!

Last one I got is to swap the 850R engine in the 240... Seems pretty stupid I know, but since I only got the 2.1 and that I want a T5 and a nicer rear diff, is it really that much more work to put a 5 cyl engine in at the same time? I have the complete 850 to get anything needed and I can make some nice $ by selling the M59 trans that came in it as well as selling the interior and other bits that fwd volvo owners seems to love! Oh and I love the sound of a turbo 5 at wot, so maybe having an engine that sound so nice when floored would help me keep the go fast pedal to the floor a little longer!

Oh and I'm on Turbobrick too, I have a fancy nickname there, it's Frankypoo.

Grant, I'm with you on that. It looks like everybody else want to build rally from the top, but without having a solid base, it just can't work.

I'm even wondering why the USA and Canada have national championship? We should have multiple regional series and then have a big final where all the top of each regions go against each other. Kind of like max attack but for all classes and with more events.

We have an event like what you are talking about. It's the Sanair rally. It's tarmac event at a local race track. On Saturday it's the stage rally and on sunday it's a rallycross. I don't think there's any incentives to either group to work the event, but a lot of them already do it.

Francois
Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 17, 2011 11:02AM
Francois
I'm even wondering why the USA and Canada have national championship?

Yeah, I think two big regions would be cooler. One east, one west. Cut the country with the Mississippi River.

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 17, 2011 11:11AM
Anders Green
Francois
I'm even wondering why the USA and Canada have national championship?

Yeah, I think two big regions would be cooler. One east, one west. Cut the country with the Mississippi River.

Anders

Yeah!
Then some smrat soul could like invent a series with some "local" relevance and come up with a name that means something like....like Oh I gots it:
Howz zis?
"Atlantic Cup"

That's the ticket!

Whaddya stink?
Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

February 18, 2011 03:29PM
Oh my begenious! Then you could have a "Pacific Cup" too!!! It would be like winning the whole ocean! smiling smiley

Anders

Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

March 03, 2011 02:00PM
Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

And it will show up Monday!

fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 03, 2011 03:41PM
How the hell is my sister's birthday going to save rally??
Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

March 03, 2011 03:52PM
The "how" is what's going to make it amazing! smiling smiley

fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

March 03, 2011 03:57PM
You bribed your congressman to put a rider in some federal budget legislation to give a $50,000 stimulus grant to every Rally Anarchy member to be used for the construction and campaigning of 2wd rally cars?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 03, 2011 05:24PM
fiasco
You bribed your congressman to put a rider in some federal budget legislation to give a $50,000 stimulus grant to every Rally Anarchy member to be used for the construction and campaigning of good 2wd rally cars?

fix that fer ya beeeeg fellah
offcamber
David
Junior Moderator

March 07, 2011 04:56PM
It is my belief that wheel to wheel racing incorporated into the rally is what is needed to grow rally in any significant way. Only the Olympics has managed to get anyone excited about competition that does not involve non head to head racing. And even then, its only on every two years and fueled mainly by nationalistic pride, not love of that particular sport (downhill skiing for example). Think about how much fun it would be to watch offroad truck racing or motocross if it were set up as a time trial.

Come to think of it, adding a requirement that you prominently show your home state flag on the car would not be a bad idea.

Adding a euro rallycross stage into the rally would be a promising way to get the masses exited about rally but the added risk/expense to competitors and less sleep for the crew is something to consider as well. ;-) Even throwing in a roundy-round stage wouldn't hurt. Incorporate a SCCA rallycross stage that locals would be encouraged to participate in after the rallycars ran and shizam, more local support.

As a n00b to the sport i'm not here to tell anyone how the sport should be run. I just hope i can add to the conversation and pose the questions:

How far should we go to make the sport more popular and what principles are we not willing to change/give up?

Another component that effects myself in rally as well as other interests of mine is liability. With as smart and influential as many motorsports enthusiasts are, it amazes me that there is not really any political push to make sensible tort reform a reality.

-David
Central Texas
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 07, 2011 06:35PM
offcamber
It is my belief that wheel to wheel racing incorporated into the rally is what is needed to grow rally in any significant way.

Rally only needs saved from the capitalists. It seems to do fine in other countries and world wide. The difference is that people rallying in other countries seem to be smart and do things like own construction companies to fund their rallying rather than try to make rallying into a career. Or they rally cars that aren't 250K and they don't get these wild ideas of grandeur.

Regarding EuroRallyCross nonsense.
I'm still not really sure why people care. This is just another form of circuit racing. Throwing the word rally into it doesn't make it rally. Sure a few mildly successful rally people are trying to figure out a way to make a living driving cars. Notice they have realized that stage rallying is not a place to do that in the USA and are looking at new options. Rallying is a grassroots, privateer sport. You will never make money. You will always spend more than you receive. If we could get 200-300 competitors per region that realized this and looked toward competing sustainably and trying to beat their competitors on stage instead of with money then we'd have a product that would be locally marketable and local companies would see a worthwhile reason to maybe cover some entry fees or tires.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login