Posted by Tom B 
Tom B
Tom B
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

2012 Doo Wops?
November 29, 2011 02:37PM
Any word if it is on? Any guess to what day(s) it will be held?

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Anders Green
Anders Green
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: 2012 Doo Wops?
November 29, 2011 04:47PM
I think the conversation was "even if the event happens, it won't be called Doo Wops, because that was Ray's thing."

But I don't think anyone has stepped up to take it over. sad smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 30, 2011 09:18AM
perhaps call it "Rallying Memorial Rally" in honor of rallying
heymagic
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

November 30, 2011 10:47AM
I left a message with Barker but haven't heard back. I believe as of right now there will be no DW in 2012. I haven't heard anything otherwise, McQuaid hasn't heard anything.

Could be time for a new organizer to step from the shadows...it is a bit of a drive for Anders to come up here to do it so maybe someone more local??

I can provide some assistance with the local infrastucture. The name of the event might be different. Funny how things work tho. We've had 3 events crowded so close together that it hurt the sport. People would choose one or two due to economics or car issues and now we have one gone and one moved. OT in the spring and Olympus in the fall.

People lament the loss of DW but the last few years there were less and less cars showing up. People had all winter to get their ship together and still regularly missed the event. Kind of like the old dog laying by the fireplace. Been there forever, people still love it but no one throws the ball any more....

Notice how quiet it is these days? No idle chat or BS on SS forum (irregardless of virus'). There are more Canadian and CRS posts in the NW forum than NW stuff, other than Eklunds ocassional grass-o-rama post. No trash talk before events, no talk of new cars, no excitement or anticipation. makes it very hard to want to go through the trouble and effort to put on an event. I have no theory that holds water btw, just a general malaise affecting rally in the PNW.
Jay
Jay Woodward
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
November 30, 2011 11:56AM
Money came in too slow. I bit off more than I shoulda. Car spent way too long as a hangar queen. Now that it's ready there' way too few places to play. Dammit dammit dammit. I dunno if we'll run OT. I wanna be sure the car is well and truly sorted. Sux that Oly moved to fall. I simply have to take off of work and run it come hell or high water but doan wanna wait that long dammit dammit dammit...
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 30, 2011 12:50PM
heymagic
Notice how quiet it is these days? No idle chat or BS on SS forum (irregardless of virus'). There are more Canadian and CRS posts in the NW forum than NW stuff, other than Eklunds ocassional grass-o-rama post. No trash talk before events, no talk of new cars, no excitement or anticipation. makes it very hard to want to go through the trouble and effort to put on an event. I have no theory that holds water btw, just a general malaise affecting rally in the PNW.

Colorado has been the same way.
There are three rally cars in Denver for sale right now.
I was up at shop working on rally cars. Invited anyone and everyone to come hang out and talk at me and drink a beer. Mark came up, but mostly because he knows I need him to finish the cage feet to send of to William.
I'm slowly getting the shop into nicer shape. Hoping Mitch can sell through more of his inventory. Want to convert the upstairs showroom into a more bar/hang out area with a TV for watching WRC, some couches, and some stools and such. Anyone need a case of Autoart junk? Or a box of 3-4 foot Samco 4-6" tubing? Or a box of random strut bars? That's the kinda shit we have laying around taking up space.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 30, 2011 01:07PM
i should be in colorado in the next couple years, im certainly planning on helping organize there. I do rather envy your CHCA series
DaveK
Dave Kern
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

November 30, 2011 01:12PM
NoCoast
That's the kinda shit we have laying around taking up space.

You forgot to mention the GC8 rally car that's been robbed of parts, that gutted merkur, and 2 or 3 dissassembled engines. winking smiley

BTW, got the go ahead from CHCA guys to run a CRC type thing for 2012 if we want...no costs to do it this time. I also think I've found a good event for a rally-x and rally car tie-in, just got to see if the cone dodgers are interested.

Dave
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 30, 2011 01:38PM
The Merkur got some stuff added to it last night. Would have gotten more but have something to weld and Mitch didn't bring the extension cable back when he brought back the welder.
I'll never complain about his GC. But I do wish we weren't using the two nice rooms as storage rooms.
Tom B
Tom B
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

November 30, 2011 09:22PM
Well, I just got some new parts in, so now I wanna know what days I need off next year to run events....with nothing before May, I may want to run a lapping day or something like that to test out the car...

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks

Jay
Jay Woodward
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
December 01, 2011 09:08AM
hmm, if you find any such, lemme know willya?
Tom B
Tom B
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

December 01, 2011 01:11PM
Of course, I'm thinking a lapping day or time attack at Pacific raceways should help with our teething issues...it'd be great if they had some kind of time attack at evergreen raceways

-Tom

Morison
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

December 10, 2011 06:52PM
Tom B
Well, I just got some new parts in, so now I wanna know what days I need off next year to run events....with nothing before May, I may want to run a lapping day or something like that to test out the car...

There is always the Cochrane Winter Rally, March 10/11... we know how to host good events up here :-)

http://g.co/maps/kznx4

or closer to home don't forget about Mountain Trials in Merritt BC - about the same distance as Portland from Seattle.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

December 14, 2011 11:44PM
There was talk of that at Evergreen. The Ridge looks very entertaining, and hoping to hit that track in the spring.
MikeColangelo
Michael Colangelo
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Spec Miata

December 15, 2011 07:04PM
phlat65
The Ridge looks very entertaining, and hoping to hit that track in the spring.

This.

BTW, there will be Lemons and ChumpCar races there in 2012.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login