Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Growth touted again in a sport that's down 20%.

Posted by webkris 
webkris
Kristopher Marciniak
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2003 Dodge Neon

Growth touted again in a sport that's down 20%.
January 22, 2013 05:07PM
http://rally-america.com/news/entry/rally-america-adds-2013-manufacturers-national-championship

Rally America
"The re-introduction of a manufacturer’s title signals a positive development for Rally America and growth for the series."

"Over the last few years we’ve seen the level of manufacturers, competition and competitors grow and we are excited Rally America is helping reignite the manufacturer rivalry in the sport"

"Interest in rally racing is growing, as evidenced by Microsoft’s inclusion of the Honda Fit B-Spec Rally in their new Forza Horizon video game."

WUT? confused smiley
I get the PR embellishment, but most of this stuff is just made up.

- Kris
* is not running outside to turn his Fit into a rally car just yet...
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

Re: Growth touted again in a sport that's down 20%.
January 22, 2013 05:15PM
The LEVEL of the mfrs, competition and competitors has grown.

They're saying the guys who quit were not top performers.

You know, chaff...like Travis and Ken and Chris D.

Aside...how are competition and competitors two different things in this context?
webkris
Kristopher Marciniak
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2003 Dodge Neon

January 22, 2013 05:34PM
More Onion headlines:
"Rally America continues to signal positive development. Signal lost on 92% of competitors."
"Competition for competitors grows as manufacturer championship heats up."
"Video game responsible for people going outside and doing things for real."
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 22, 2013 06:35PM
Hilarious, Foggy Junior, presumably the person churning out the "Media Content" is quoting Daddy Fogg...maybe we should dub him "Bigg Fogg"..

This creates even more excitement for the manufacturers, fans and teams this year,” said Bill Fogg,

even more? They were excited before? and Now before this has happened this creates EVEN MORE?

Will their heads explode from excitement soon?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 22, 2013 06:54PM
Ugh. I hate sales and marketing.

I worked for a company that touted that their software was used in over 200 countries. Aaaand wikipedia said there were 196 countries at the time, and I know of at least a dozen countries we explicitly didn't do business with, let alone the ones we simply didn't market to.

All bs trying to impress ignorant people.

Tim.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

January 22, 2013 07:18PM
TronDD
at least a dozen countries we explicitly didn't do business with, let alone the ones we simply didn't market to.

Well, with that poor attitude, you'll never be selling in 500 different countries!!!!

winking smiley

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 22, 2013 07:22PM
That's why they are out of business now. You can't expect to keep up by only being in 200 countries when your compeditors are marketing to thousands!

Tim.
EricW
Eric Wages
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 WRX

January 22, 2013 10:01PM
webkris
http://rally-america.com/news/entry/rally-america-adds-2013-manufacturers-national-championship

Rally America
"The re-introduction of a manufacturer’s title signals a positive development for Rally America and growth for the series."

"Over the last few years we’ve seen the level of manufacturers, competition and competitors grow and we are excited Rally America is helping reignite the manufacturer rivalry in the sport"

"Interest in rally racing is growing, as evidenced by Microsoft’s inclusion of the Honda Fit B-Spec Rally in their new Forza Horizon video game."

WUT? confused smiley
I get the PR embellishment, but most of this stuff is just made up.

- Kris
* is not running outside to turn his Fit into a rally car just yet...

heymagic
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 22, 2013 10:10PM
Brings back those warm memories of Big Enos and Little Enos

MConte05
Matthew Conte
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

January 23, 2013 10:15AM
How is it an incorrect statement? Last year nearly every single event had a huge turnout compared to 2011 except for NEFR which had a few less entries.

That was just quickly skimming the entry list from 2012 to 2011 for a few events on the RA homepage.

I know you guys really really hate RA on here, but they aren't stretching the truth much....
HiTempguy
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

January 23, 2013 10:23AM
MConte05
How is it an incorrect statement? Last year nearly every single event had a huge turnout compared to 2011 except for NEFR which had a few less entries.

That was just quickly skimming the entry list from 2012 to 2011 for a few events on the RA homepage.

I know you guys really really hate RA on here, but they aren't stretching the truth much....

Yes, but I think everyone can have the realistic expectation that RA entries will TANK this year.

Interestingly enough, a lot of my reading indicates that while it APPEARS the economy in the US is getting better, it really isn't anything to write home about... and the worldwide economy is about the same, if not worse than last year!
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

January 23, 2013 10:33AM
HiTempguy
MConte05

Yes, but I think everyone can have the realistic expectation that RA entries will TANK this year.

Interestingly enough, a lot of my reading indicates that while it APPEARS the economy in the US is getting better, it really isn't anything to write home about... and the worldwide economy is about the same, if not worse than last year!

Not sure I would agree with that. Yea, Sno*Drift this year isn't doing so hot. I skipped out on it compared to last year just because I didn't want to run another Ice*Drift, though now that I see they are getting record snow up there. I kinda wish I was going. I am sure a lot of people feel the same way.

100AW already has 36 entries and still a month out. The Subaru contigency certianly is helping a ton. That $900 regional entry fee is now $600 for me (already paid!), with notes and recce included. That's cheaper than last year for me. So at least in my eyes, I am quite happy with things. tongue sticking out smiley
HiTempguy
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

January 23, 2013 11:11AM
MConte05

100AW already has 36 entries and still a month out. The Subaru contigency certianly is helping a ton. That $900 regional entry fee is now $600 for me (already paid!), with notes and recce included. That's cheaper than last year for me. So at least in my eyes, I am quite happy with things. tongue sticking out smiley

I didn't actually take this into account either. It definitely makes me interested in competing at Oregon vs Olympus.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 23, 2013 11:12AM
MConte05
HiTempguy
MConte05

Not sure I would agree with that. Yea, Slo*Drift this year isn't doing so hot. I skipped out on it compared to last year just because I didn't want to run another Ice*Drift, though now that I see they are getting record snow up there. I kinda wish I was going. I am sure a lot of people feel the same way.

100AW already has 36 entries and still a month out.
The Subaru contingency certainly is helping a ton to have the entire entry field be nothing but a boring parade of clone-cars driven moderately

Elucidated that for you.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

January 23, 2013 11:34AM
At least it is people out there having a blast for cheaper than trying to run some hard-to-find car. Sometimes it pays not to be an automotive hipster.

There are zero Volvos out here in the midwest, and hardly any Xratties. Subarus alone are tough to find.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login