Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Qualifying...
January 28, 2013 01:14PM
http://www.sopwithmotorsports.com/blog/indycar/item/179-indycar-whos-qualified-and-whos-not?.html&fb_action_ids=10151429324426635&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map={%2210151429324426635%22%3A481339498568886}&action_type_map={%2210151429324426635%22%3A%22og.likes%22}&action_ref_map=[]

Good read.
For any of you that paid attention to Pikes Peak this year this was at the forefront of discussion, especially in the Time Attack class.
Dave could give you more details, but basically, the rule book has a qualifying rule. I think it says something like within 10 or 15% of fastest class time.
This was first year that it was put into place. Had they actually used it, something like 3 people of the 25 or whatever would have qualified.
So Friday night, right before the big Fan Fest thing downtown, they decided on a new rule that excuded 5-10 drivers. Then a few of these drivers that shouldn't have qualified were put back in as organizer selections, which basically boiled down to drivers that had generated some press or had a lot of twitter followers or ??? There were some pissed off people. Caswell didn't qualify and apparently went to the bar and proceeded to rial up his twittersphere of followers. There were other drivers that OWN companies that provide monetary support in form of sponsorship dollars that didn't qualify. In the end, they changed their mind, let everyone run, the day ran late, ended up gettting shortened, some people ended up having to compete in snow, etc. It was a clusterfuck.

Remember the old seeding system of the SCCA. Where you actually had to do something impressive to move up to higher seeds to qualify for competing in the national championship.
Maybe a qualifying system is REALLY what US rallying needs.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Anders Green
Anders Green
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: Qualifying...
January 28, 2013 01:34PM
For an even with a high level of international exposure, and oversubscribed (given the amount of time they have to race) entry field, some kind of qualification would seem to make sense, given their goals.

Just from your description here, it sounds like last year was a mess... do they have new rules this year?

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 28, 2013 10:50PM
Fast cars on a closed course like Indy need to be driven by qualified people, same with Sprint Cup cars. The ability to go fast in qualifying isn't the same as going fast in traffic. I used to crew for a guy in stock car racing that was very fast alone, but not so much in traffic. He could cause a wreck if there were only two cars on opposite ends of a parking lot.

RA could be said to require qualifying in rally by the requirement of co-efficients for novice drivers in the faster classes.

PPIHC sure sounded like a cluster from everything I've read from the troops in the trenches. Be interesting to see where USAC goes with their rally program and novice drivers.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

January 30, 2013 10:33AM
heymagic
PPIHC sure sounded like a cluster from everything I've read from the troops in the trenches. Be interesting to see where USAC goes with their rally program and novice drivers.

Hopefully they take a page from the PP rule book - the rules are optional and restrictors aren't required! That will save rally fer sure!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 30, 2013 05:52PM
I thought there was a qualifying rule already: the bank balance.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login