Posted by Eric Ewert 
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Volvo 1030 axles
October 07, 2014 08:39PM
I am having a hell of a time finding quality info on these bloody things. Every internet post seems to contradict the other so if someone who knows the differences between these and the 1031 please chime in. If you know exactly what they came in please share.

This is what I got so far.

1030- same r&p as a jeep dana 30
1031- 1200$ order to sweden if you want good ratios

1030 ring gear is 7.2 inches
1031 is 7.5

If someone could verify this stuff that would be great.

Now here's where I get lost. I understand 1031's have a "dual rib on them and 1030's single… but then apparently some 1031s also have a single rib.

1030 came in 1981 and earlier 240s?
But then according to some sources it also found is way into 740's…???

Better yet if you have one of these damn things and are willing to sell it for reasonable please help me out.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

Re: Volvo 1030 axles
October 08, 2014 10:52AM
That sounds about right. A good rule of thumb, though not always true, is that if it has an electric speedo pickup then it's a 1031 diff.

Carriers are the same between 1030 and 1031, but there are 2 different ones depending on gear ratio of the R&P.

3.73 and lower gearing (4.11/4.88/etc) are one size of carrier.
3.53 and higher gearing (3.53/3.31) are another size.

Axles should be mostly the same with the later (90+) ABS cars having a slightly shorter axle on one side. These diffs you can easily swap in the Volvo clutched locker. Otherwise you will have to cut one axle ~0.25.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

October 08, 2014 02:01PM
I thought you were doing the whole 'yota axle thing? Too much work?
alkun
Albert Kun
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

October 08, 2014 07:36PM
Eric Ewert
I am having a hell of a time finding quality info on these bloody things. Every internet post seems to contradict the other so if someone who knows the differences between these and the 1031 please chime in. If you know exactly what they came in please share.

This is what I got so far.

1030- same r&p as a jeep dana 30
1031- 1200$ order to sweden if you want good ratios

1030 ring gear is 7.2 inches
1031 is 7.5

If someone could verify this stuff that would be great.

Now here's where I get lost. I understand 1031's have a "dual rib on them and 1030's single… but then apparently some 1031s also have a single rib.

1030 came in 1981 and earlier 240s?
But then according to some sources it also found is way into 740's…???

Better yet if you have one of these damn things and are willing to sell it for reasonable please help me out.

All sound right, except I've never heard about 1030 in a 740, doesn't sound right..

1030 came on non-turbos until '83 or so, all turbos had the 1031.

no volvos in the yards up there? I might be able to find one for you, but shipping will be $$.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

October 08, 2014 11:37PM
I pulled the axle out of an 82 at the yard up here and before I actually brought it out of the yard I thought "hey maybe I should pop the cover off and measure the ring gear" It looked like a 7.5 ring gear and I felt very stupid. Also had the bump on the top of the housing so pretty damn sure it was a 1031.

So to answer your question Al all the volvos of that era rotted away long time ago up here. an 82 up here in the yards was a very rare sight. If you can find me one that would be sweet. Id pay the shipping and whatever you want for it.

Matt… yea the yoda axle is gonna be a pain. I found adapters for disc callipers but still… custom driveshaft, re drill axles, re drill rotors (great, those never wear out or warp), weld pan hard mount on, hope like hell toyota callipers clear volvo wheels. It starts adding up and I really doubt a 1030 is going to break. If I break it well then I will look at this. Or I will slowly build a yoda axle up on the side. For now fuck it.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

October 08, 2014 11:39PM
Also Al I was suspicious of a 1030 in a 740. I was talking to chapman motors in vancouver and sent them photos of what I am after and he said he has got one that matches one of my photos but its out of a 740. He sent a pic and it actually looked like a match.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

October 08, 2014 11:46PM
Oh also would a 140 axle work? its the same rear suspension is it not? I thought 140's were the same from the doors back?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 09, 2014 12:47AM
Eric Ewert
I pulled the axle out of an 82 at the yard up here and before I actually brought it out of the yard I thought "hey maybe I should pop the cover off and measure the ring gear" It looked like a 7.5 ring gear and I felt very stupid. Also had the bump on the top of the housing so pretty damn sure it was a 1031.

So to answer your question Al all the volvos of that era rotted away long time ago up here. an 82 up here in the yards was a very rare sight. If you can find me one that would be sweet. Id pay the shipping and whatever you want for it.

Matt… yea the yoda axle is gonna be a pain. I found adapters for disc callipers but still… custom driveshaft, re drill axles, re drill rotors (great, those never wear out or warp), weld pan hard mount on, hope like hell toyota callipers clear volvo wheels. It starts adding up and I really doubt a 1030 is going to break. If I break it well then I will look at this. Or I will slowly build a yoda axle up on the side. For now fuck it.

Turn the Toyota axles flanges down to Volvo dimensions, drill 5 holes.
Use Volvo rotor, Volvo calipers. make simple caliper mounts..
Simple flange yoke on diff, then a 1310 u-joint, simple weld you into rear tube..

You making it too hard.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

October 09, 2014 01:13AM
K get the calipers to line up properly, hours later.
build panhard mount... hours later
Plus all the other shit... more time
Edit: I also forgot, an ebrake for the street would be nice.
I am not welding a driveshaft. That is an item that needs to be balanced. That driveshaft is not going to be a 150$ Its not going to be 300$. Remember... calgary.
For a guy of my abilities, its going to take a shit load of time. It is not a weekend project for me. Perhaps down the road when my fab skills are farther along yes. For now 1030 works... if I can find one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2014 01:22AM by Eric Ewert.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

October 09, 2014 02:59PM
Ah. K.

Once/if you end up going that way, I am pretty sure my lathe is big enough take the yota axle shafts (and I bought the right hand tooling), so you can always feel free to text me and we can run the axles. Or for that matter any other reason you need some lathing done smiling smiley

We'll have to get together sometime in the future and have another beer. You can look at my glorious orange peel smiling smiley
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

October 09, 2014 04:44PM
Cool, i'm still down to build the yoda axle just not right off the get go. other shit to do first.

Haha at least yours has orange peel!

Yes I agree on the beer thing!
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

October 09, 2014 06:15PM
The stock volvo one has held up so far in 2 rallies with a welded diff in the blue volvo. You'll be fine for a while. Gearing and/or getting rid of the stock trans is a much higher priority.
Stock 4.10 gears are okay, but the m45/46/47 trans have terrible gaps, especially 2-3.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 09, 2014 06:54PM
Robert Culbertson
The stock volvo one has held up so far in 2 rallies with a welded diff in the blue volvo. You'll be fine for a while. Gearing and/or getting rid of the stock trans is a much higher priority.
Stock 4.10 gears are okay, but the m45/46/47 trans have terrible gaps, especially 2-3.

Everything RWD stock just about had the 2 to 3 canyon....they all seemed to be copying eachother..

Why do you suppose i like the ONE T5 gearset?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

October 09, 2014 10:53PM
Robert Culbertson

The m47 is going in the bin. I hate that gearbox.

I could get a 4:10 for the 1031 for reasonable but why? Just need a 1030, 4:88. Done. I may have sourced one finally. From a 140. Can anyone confirm that 140 rear suspension is the same as 240 before I go and buy this thing? I have to ship it hear as it is not local so I can't see it.

Also do all 140's have disc brakes on the rear?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2014 10:57PM by Eric Ewert.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

October 10, 2014 09:50AM
john vanlandingham

Turn the Toyota axles flanges down to Volvo dimensions, drill 5 holes.
Use Volvo rotor, Volvo calipers. make simple caliper mounts..
Simple flange yoke on diff, then a 1310 u-joint, simple weld you into rear tube..

You making it too hard.

No one disputes they can be easy, but I think for most it really comes down to cost.

The last one I did was

$150 axle 4.3 gears
$120 supra LSD
$160 machine axles and have redrilled
$100 sitting with someone to designed and cut caliper brackets
$100 driveline

That's over $600 for a toyota axle into pretty much anything, assuming you are cutting off your old tabs and reusing them. This also didn't give me an e-brake other then a hydraulic one.

If someone made the caliper brackets I could see the rest being rather straight forward, and done over time to not hit the pocket book so hard.

You'll shit on me for this, because well, it's what you do, but I have seen more successful 8.8 swaps than I have toyota swaps. Other than shortening one axle tube it's a similar swap in terms of what you have to do, but at least I have bolt on brake options and honestly I can't tell you the last time I saw a complete toyota axle at the junkyard, I see 31 spline Explorer with LSD and factory discs all day long.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login