Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Build a rallycar they said, it will be easy they said... (2002 WRX inside)

Posted by HiTempguy 
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

Re: Build a rallycar they said, it will be easy they said... (2002 WRX inside)
October 28, 2014 04:31PM
Do It Sidewayz
A cheap clean bugeye like that is screaming for one thing...Production4WD.

USDM 6 Speed - No brainer
Motor - Whatever complete, low km motor you can put your hands on.

Upon further reading, I think this is the way to go (I had to clarify in my little brain what the rules for production were as I haven't really focused on them lately). I can get my hands on a running EJ205 for practically nothing. There is even a usdm 6 speed plus all the additional parts for $3k here in Edmonton... oh the wheels be turnin! smileys with beer

So, anyone want to buy the black STi after BigWhite? winking smiley

Edit-
Want the contact info for the guy in Saskatoon? I'm under the impression he'll do an FIA legal cage for $2k (possibly less). Our good friend Niall has a jdm sti with one of his cages in it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2014 07:34PM by HiTempguy.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

November 02, 2014 02:41PM
HiTempguy
On top of all of this, we can't import rallycars into Alberta anymore, so there is a SERIOUS lack of rallycars available here, and if they are for sale, they are very high priced. If we could still import from the US, I'd import a car in a second and say screw building!

Just curious, because I have someone asking about the Swift who I think is from Alberta, what's this all about? You can't import rally cars anymore? WTF?
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 02, 2014 04:30PM
Pm'd
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

November 02, 2014 09:04PM
it was me alex, and no, you can lose your buisness licensce if you pass a rally car on an out of province inspection. i checked everywhere then cried, i love that car...

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

November 02, 2014 09:19PM
Well that blows. Sorry to hear, not for just you Jeremy but for Adam and everyone else in Alberta. That'll put a serious hurt on Alberta rallying.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

November 03, 2014 01:08AM
judging from rmr turnout this weekend its not that hurtin. 28 cars all pretty competitive within classes. alotta fun wrenching, recovering cars off stage, creeping on fabrication and cool cars. was a great experience as well as eye opening to the costs to rally. saw first hand for the first time how it would be worth every penny of it

HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 03, 2014 10:07AM
AlexeiS
Well that blows. Sorry to hear, not for just you Jeremy but for Adam and everyone else in Alberta. That'll put a serious hurt on Alberta rallying.

There are ways around it (some rallyists are using cars registered/insured in the US it seems), however, it definitely is propelling the sport into the "gentlemens" category of racing quickly it seems... if you don't have a minimum of $10k to buy a car (actually, more than that right now), there is nothing for you. Only 5-10 years ago, cars for $5k or less were available if you waited. As those have gotten used up, there haven't been many grassroots/lower end builds being done lately as building a car costs the same whether a STi or Honda Civic (as I found out).

Snidewhips
judging from rmr turnout this weekend its not that hurtin. 28 cars all pretty competitive within classes

Depends on your point of view. In Alberta, its not hurting because $$$$$$$$$$$$. But look at the PFR entry list (which had 36 entries); over 75% of entries were from out of province. I consider Rocky an "Alberta" event, especially being only 3 hours from Calgary where 75% of Alberta rallyists are located near. Most competitors were also from Alberta. We also have the largest portion of competitors that travel outside our region to compete (or the last time I checked, which was a while ago, we did), and I squarely put it on the fact that we can afford it better than almost anyone else.

Haha, anyways (going off topic in my own build thread!) I'd like to build this blue WRX cheap, maybe run it, maybe not, and then be able to sell it to another up and coming rallyist grinning smiley
Morison
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

November 03, 2014 10:11AM
Build it and rent it out...

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 03, 2014 11:17AM
Morison
Build it and rent it out...

Distinct possibility, I will have a 24' aluminum trailer available soon (hooray for business debt?). Wonder if there would be a way (via ramps maybe?) to get two imprezas on it...

That would be a good way to go. Would keep costs super low (basically build it the way it currently is, simply stick a ej205 with the current tranny in it and call it a day). Good backup car, parts are dirt cheap if people break it, I'd have to do a serious business model to see if it can be justified... and beyond that, are many people renting? Only Mr. Nickel appears to be at the moment.
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

November 03, 2014 11:29AM
Adam did you buy the parts car with the race car? meaning the swift?

HiTempguy
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 03, 2014 11:45AM
Snidewhips
Adam did you buy the parts car with the race car? meaning the swift?

I have the old Mike Elhard/ERC swift special that is caged in the garage. No parts car I am aware of though! I don't have the space!

A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

November 03, 2014 02:46PM
HiTempguy

I guess what I am saying is I can easily get it on stage, properly built for under $10k. Thats no ej207 6 speed dccd car, but do I really need that? Who answers that question?

It turns out I answer this question.. part of my duties as moderator on here... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

If you are a really bad driver who can't rotate their car, and hits "understeer" But yet you are taking the corners at about the right speed. it would help a TON!!!

Also if you just need to shave a few seconds off to catch the guy in front, it would help a bunch too. ...

Have you played with a stock DCCD on an sti ? (you would be surprised how many STI owners in the Us never ever have tried a setting other than automatic) .. in the dirt drive around on full lock, and see if you can still get rotation. (also try the 85% lock setting which should "mimic" what a 20kg center diff feels like , that won't be exactly what it feels like. but should be close)

One interesting thing to note is with the dccd fully locked and steady state cornering with a good amount of wheel, violent stabs of the throttle , Usually just gives you a big understeeer push,
but on Auto, or fully open, the same throttle stab is way more likely to rotate the car.

so with it locked (or NO DCCD) there are some situations where you will have to Scandy flick, or weight transfer to drift.

and while that's a skill that i personally can do well enough to teach others, I'm not good enough to never be caught in a bought of under steer, and you have to slow down a bit, miss your apex and sunday drive around the corner. boooo lame!

So personally i would Love to have one, cause it makes rally driving easier / more side ways and more fun. But i'm not really willing to spend more than what a 20kg costs to have a fully functional DCCD in my car. and i think i found a deal on a $300 used 20kg, which means i'm not very likely to get a DCCD.

ya the 6 speed can handle way more HP/ TQ . an insane amount if you have mechanical sympathy. and can probably handle anything a restricted motor could put out, even if you drive like you hate your transmission.

Adam if you are rough on your transmission , and making a lot of power the 6 speed with dccd would be a great option and a lot of fun. but with out a final drive / gear swap there's no way it will be as Quick as a 5 speed.

any of the JDM Spec RA 5 speeds has closer gear ratios and usually higher final drives. the 95 spec RA comes with a .968 5th (holy crap) that's like a 125 to speed with 7k red line.

also it appears Doug is selling a 4.44 for 6 speed. i think its about $1800 (holy dollar signs bat man)

so i lied at the top, lol you have to answer if you need a 6 speed / DCCD.

subie gear ratios :O

http://mnsubaru.com/threads/learning-to-choose-your-gear-sets-ratios.24396/

JDM
3.454 / 2.062 / 1.448 / 1.088 / 0.825 / 4.111FD - '93-'96 JDM Impreza WRX/STi
3.454 / 2.333 / 1.750 / 1.354 / 0.972 / 3.900FD - '93 JDM Impreza WRX RA
3.454 / 2.333 / 1.750 / 1.354 / 0.972 / 4.111FD - '94-'95 JDM Impreza WRX RA/STi RA
3.454 / 2.062 / 1.448 / 1.088 / 0.825 / 4.111FD - '93-'00 JDM Impreza WRX Wagon
3.083 / 2.062 / 1.545 / 1.151 / 0.825 / 4.444FD - '97-'00 JDM Impreza WRX RA/Type R/STi RA/22B STi
3.166 / 1.882 / 1.296 / 0.972 / 0.738 / 4.444FD - '97-'00 JDM Impreza WRX/STi

US 6 SPEED
3.636 / 2.235 / 1.521 / 1.137 / 0.971 / 0.756 / 3.90

how much Wheel HP and wheel TQ does your car make?
Morison
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

November 04, 2014 10:45AM
HiTempguy
...and beyond that, are many people renting? Only Mr. Nickel appears to be at the moment.
Mr. Nickel isn't renting. (anymore)

One of the reason so few people are renting is because there is no grassroots rental available out there. That said, I'm not convinced it would work. If you had the spare car kicking around, I'd definately talk to someone like Azam about being the pimp in the rental.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

November 05, 2014 08:43AM
TRF has been getting plenty of renters for their Gr. 2 Mitsubishi. I'd talk to Ryan about it.
tmachnik
Tom Machnik
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1985 VW GTI

November 06, 2014 01:32PM
Snidewhips
it was me alex, and no, you can lose your buisness licensce if you pass a rally car on an out of province inspection. i checked everywhere then cried, i love that car...

Used to be that your ordinary garage mechanic wouldn't sign the OOP for a rally car anyway, for fear of loosing his ticket, so what's different now?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login