Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

pic of a reinforced subframe on a vw mk2

Posted by ReluctantGolf 
ReluctantGolf
Kevin Andrade
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Mk2 Golf for my rookie year in SCCA RallyX...MK2 GLI with 1.8T for my first event..

pic of a reinforced subframe on a vw mk2
January 20, 2015 01:05PM
hi guys/gals,

I am looking for a little help in getting a pic of properly done reinforcement for the subframe for the vw mk2. Does anyone have a link to a pic or can post a pic of this reinforecement done correctly?

thanks in advance!

- kevin
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Chris Eyre
Chris Eyre
Mega Moderator

Re: pic of a reinforced subframe on a vw mk2
January 21, 2015 05:42AM
It really depends what you're looking for.

The works cars will have seam welded anything that wasn't already. Potentially plating - have a look at the pics below and compare.

The main structural changes were to remove the subframe engine mount posts, since they weren't needed with the engine hung off chassis mounts added to the inner wings, A1 Rabbit style.

Plus adding a rear engine mount, which required some subframe fabrication, and seen in production cars as the 'dogbone' mount on the Golf 4.

These pics should do the talking smiling smiley

Works Golf Rallye:

The exact design will depend on the engine block used, since the area around the sump had more metal on later Mk3-on engines.

Mk3 Golf Kitcar:

As things iterated further, there was the Seat Ibiza Kitcar which, mounting point-wise, was essentially the same. This is an Evo 1 subframe, but as you can imagine by this stage, the gains versus the time spent are likely way out of hand...

Maybe, just maybe, it’s down to the driver.

VWMotorsport.info | SeatSport.info | 4 VW Golf Mk3 A59s exclusively revealed > here <
ReluctantGolf
Kevin Andrade
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Mk2 Golf for my rookie year in SCCA RallyX...MK2 GLI with 1.8T for my first event..

January 21, 2015 11:06AM
Thanks for these! Yes, I saw these from my earlier reading. It took me several hours but I bookmarked every page that had vw mk2 and vw golf in it......my head is still spinning.

I was actually looking for pics of either plating or seam welding the actual subframe itself....which if i am seeing it right, some of those photos do show. Thanks again!
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

January 21, 2015 11:10AM
The left side of the subframe where the front of the control arm mounts is the place where they break most often. If you look, the subframe is asymmetrical and the right side has more bracing built in stock due to the motor mount. The left side is un-braced stock and also a place where rust forms between the sandwiches of 3-4 pieces of stamped steel that come together here.

Opposite side of what is highlighted in the picture below

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
ReluctantGolf
Kevin Andrade
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

January 21, 2015 11:22AM
Thanks Josh!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login