Posted by Mulvey14 
Mulvey14
Liam Mulvey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
84 Mazda rx7

Rx7 glse rear axle?
March 14, 2015 05:09PM
Does anyone on here have one they would sell or know where I could get one.any help would be much appreciated

Liam Mulvey
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mekilljoydammit
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

Re: Rx7 glse rear axle?
March 14, 2015 05:35PM
It's been a while since I messed with the axles, but is there any reason you can't just redrill? At least that's what we used to do.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 14, 2015 05:45PM
Mulvey14
Does anyone on here have one they would sell or know where I could get one.any help would be much appreciated

Hi Liam, you killed yours?
Get hold of Alex Staidle here, he's a total first gen RX7 whore...And he's just dotten done shoving a Toy-otter 8" 4 runner axle under his so he should know where in what corner of his garage he has some old buggers...

Everything alright otherwise?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

March 14, 2015 05:53PM
I got a bunch of axles. They're so good that I'm saving my pennies and going to a floater 9" Ford rearend. They're thick but the bearing-hub face distance is HUGE so a lot of force flexing the axle, which the bearings don't like. Axle bearings last about two rallycrosses for me before they are fucked. And the housings themselves bend, bracing just makes them bend more slowly.

Moser supposedly sells new beefier axles for $350/pair, which is about what good used axles go for. I found a place that will do a 9" floater with hubs in the correct 4x4.5" bolt pattern. Floating hubs get the wheel supported by a pair of bearings and the axle itself is just a shaft that sends torque from the diff to the hub, a way better design.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2015 05:55PM by Pete.
Mulvey14
Liam Mulvey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
84 Mazda rx7

March 14, 2015 08:47PM
hi john, very thing is good.No its not dead but it's real close.Pete that floater sounds interesting,i'll have to get more info on that sometime but for right now I want to try and stick with the glse if I can get one.The original owner of the car did really nice job strengthening the axle and I can copy that on to the next one.The original has a full logbook of rallies on it and i don't see any repairs it held up good until now.What housing did you have issues with?

Liam Mulvey
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

March 15, 2015 07:01AM
I'm using GSL-SE bits mainly so the back end is the same bolt pattern as the front end. The housing itself is the same as all other '84-85 ("large bearing"winking smiley disc rears, they're interchangeable and I think Mazda even had the same part number for the bare housing.

I have three sets of axles and I just keep rebuilding them and keeping them ready to do. At least they are easy to change.

The housings themselves twist for me so the pinion angle climbs up over time. I also have had them where the linear weld on the front side split open where the Watts pivot is and the tube started to crack its way around, and I split another one up the backside like cracking an egg. Back when these were $200 used parts I would grab every one I could find, now they're not so easy to find anymore.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2015 07:05AM by Pete.
Mulvey14
Liam Mulvey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
84 Mazda rx7

March 15, 2015 01:08PM
Yes they are not ideal for what we are trying to do with them,but the buget is nonexistent and while I wait for the "factory backing" to come through it will have to do if I can find one.

Liam Mulvey
mekilljoydammit
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

March 15, 2015 02:54PM
Like I was implying, in the short run 12A big bearing rears are easier to find than GSL-SE ones and only take some redrilling to be the right bolt pattern.
Mulvey14
Liam Mulvey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
84 Mazda rx7

March 15, 2015 07:54PM
Ok that's good,i though the gslse was the only one with the big bearing

Liam Mulvey
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

March 15, 2015 08:05PM
ALL '84-up 7" rears are big bearing. The trick is, disk rear housings have one flavor of bearing retainer (three bolt) and drum rears have another flavor (four bolt). And the GSL-SE axles are different not just because of the bolt pattern, but they are also 15mm longer outside of the bearing. The GSL-SE rotors have correspondingly deeper rotor hats. You wouldn't be able to redrill GSL axles to 4x4.5 and use on a GSL-SE setup for that reason. (I'm pretty sure there isn't enough meat on the axle anyway) 12A axles need 12A drums/rotors and GSL-SE axles need GSL-SE rotors for this reason.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

mekilljoydammit
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

March 15, 2015 08:50PM
You can redrill the 12A rear rotors to 4x4.5 too though. Yeah, slightly annoying. For roadrace use, we wanted the smaller rear rotors anyway.

Yeah, actual GSL-SE axle is easier, but I've had like, 10:1 better odds of finding 12A axles.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login