Posted by fabianp 
fabianp
PIERCE FABIAN
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'96 Jetta

MK3 Jetta build
March 20, 2015 01:52PM
Picked her up in late February, Ive got myself a '95 MK3 Jetta GL thats hopefully...eventually... going to be ready in time for Radium Springs in May and other CARS events.

Why the Jetta... well, basically it was just too hard to find a golf in good nick, and I like that realtively uniqueness factor.
Why the early mk3? Well, the forged crank is one reason and the slightly different head is another. 2P is the goal for now, but it is nice to leave room for the step to 2O if need be down the road.

Here she is in her glory to start off with.

DISCLAIMER: If you have some great advice please PM me to share. Real life prevents me from replying to every message/feedback, so I do appologize in advance.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5902.JPG (37.3 KB)
IMG_5902.JPG
fabianp
PIERCE FABIAN
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'96 Jetta

Re: MK3 Jetta build
March 20, 2015 02:00PM
The car is getting caged up at Custom Metalcraft in Port Coquitlam, BC. Canada.
If you need some custom fab work, or even just general maintenance on any vehicle, those are your guys.
Incredibly honest and practical, they will certainly tell you about possible options where there are some.

Here is their number and website
604-468-7702
http://www.custommetalcraft.ca/

Tell them Pierce sent you.

winking smiley

Car is emptied, engine is already out, transmission is off getting rebuilt with Wavetrac diff and 4.25 final drive (against JVAB's reccommendations for a higher final drive) are being installed and prep for cage has begun. Seat has been fitted and so so much soudn deadening and bracketry has been removed.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5925.jpg (61.4 KB)
IMG_5925.jpg
open | download - IMG_5926.JPG (56.7 KB)
IMG_5926.JPG
open | download - IMG_5928.jpg (47.2 KB)
IMG_5928.jpg
open | download - IMG_5927.jpg (62.4 KB)
IMG_5927.jpg
open | download - IMG_5932.jpg (57.1 KB)
IMG_5932.jpg
open | download - IMG_5967.JPG (49.1 KB)
IMG_5967.JPG
fabianp
PIERCE FABIAN
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'96 Jetta

March 20, 2015 02:01PM
Anyone else agree that the wavetrac is way to good looking to be hidden away in the transmission?
Nearly bought another one for a fancy paperweight.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_5862.jpg (27.3 KB)
IMG_5862.jpg
fabianp
PIERCE FABIAN
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'96 Jetta

March 20, 2015 02:03PM
Spoke to JVAB yesterday about going 50mm front and rear soooper bitchin suspenders...hopefully there is no back order with Bilstein
(Sending the cash today John winking smiley )
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 20, 2015 02:16PM
fabianp
The car is getting caged up at Custom Metalcraft in Port Coquitlam, BC. Canada.
If you need some custom fab work, or even just general maintenance on any vehicle, those are your guys.
Incredibly honest and practical, they will certainly tell you about possible options where there are some.

Here is their number and website
604-468-7702
http://www.custommetalcraft.ca/

Tell them Pierce sent you.

winking smiley

Car is emptied, engine is already out, transmission is off getting rebuilt with Wavetrac diff and 4.25 final drive (against JVAB's reccommendations for a higher SHORTER aka LOWER final drive) are being installed and prep for cage has begun. Seat has been fitted and so so much soudn deadening and bracketry has been removed.

Have you maybe printed out the details of doing little stubby tube around the rear top mount as the place to terminate the diagonals and main hoop back stays?

Recently I re-posted a nice piccie how Gord Olsen i think did his after we'd talked.. Its a good way to disperse shock loads coming into the car.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Towona
Tony P
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

March 20, 2015 02:20PM
Welcome and congrats on getting into rally.

Quick question... how much experience does Custom Metalcraft have with making rally cages?

Runamuck Rally
Towona
Tony P
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

March 20, 2015 02:26PM
My rear struts for reference.

John, how did Gord's compare to these?

Runamuck Rally
fabianp
PIERCE FABIAN
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'96 Jetta

March 20, 2015 02:46PM
Cheers!

The guys at Custom Metalcraft are former racers, although not specifically in rally.

Over the years they have done cages to various specs and regulations for different racing groups. I am sure there are some pics on their site in teh performance section, but as most shops, they are probably spending their time workign and less time uploading pics.

If you need some work done they are great guys and are incredibly pragmatic when it comes to fab work or even maintenance.
fabianp
PIERCE FABIAN
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'96 Jetta

March 20, 2015 02:49PM
This is how John means...
Attachments:
open | download - dscf0022-0.jpg (59.6 KB)
dscf0022-0.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 20, 2015 03:32PM
Towona
My rear struts for reference.

John, how did Gord's compare to these?

Tony see just above?
I say the red car way---I did a cage like that back in I think'96
is much better in terms of safety and helping the car live..
I never liked learing the backstays to a weld on tower made of 1mm thick stuff which is really spossed to see force up and down like ^ and V just force from damper really and pulling on sheet metal ^ and V is OK....

When guys run the tubes to the side---because all the grumpy old Dino scrutineers say "That's how we did it and I dominated with blah blah blah"...I liken it to the old trick of standing on a beer can and you can stand till you're cross-eyed...But just touch the SIDE of the can > that way and it collapses.
And i see intentionally leading what one day may be a whole fawkin lotta force into the side of that tower as similar..

So leading the force in the direction its already going and dispersing the force into the diagonals and back stays "resolves" the loading nicely...

No a big fawkin deal but its so easy to do better, at this point,, then why not..

And "we always did it that way and I dominated ..." is a shit answer..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

March 20, 2015 03:35PM
RETURN the Wavetrac ASAP if you can. If not, sell it to someone not doing rally. Reports are that they only last a couple events between rebuilds.

Buy a Kaaz or Gripper clutch-type diff.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

March 20, 2015 03:38PM
fabianp
Cheers!

The guys at Custom Metalcraft are former racers, although not specifically in rally.

Over the years they have done cages to various specs and regulations for different racing groups. I am sure there are some pics on their site in teh performance section, but as most shops, they are probably spending their time workign and less time uploading pics.

If you need some work done they are great guys and are incredibly pragmatic when it comes to fab work or even maintenance.

That attitude has sent many would be rally cars to craigslist for road racers... Seriously. If you don't want to cry about wasted money later, make sure they have drawings run by a RALLY scrutineer before any welding starts.

One. Class -- 2WD

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

March 20, 2015 03:46PM
Josh Wimpey
RETURN the Wavetrac ASAP if you can. If not, sell it to someone not doing rally. Reports are that they only last a couple events between rebuilds.

What needs rebuilding? If the clutch plates go, wouldn't they just revert to being a regular torsen?

Self-righteous douche canoe
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

March 20, 2015 03:54PM
fabianp

Car is emptied, engine is already out, transmission is off getting rebuilt with Wavetrac diff and 4.25 final drive (against JVAB's reccommendations for a higher final drive) are being installed and prep for cage has begun.

I think you will be happy enough with a 4.25 R&P especially if you haven't driven something with proper gearing. You will leave a lot on the table but the car will still be more fun to drive than a stock box. The higher numeric drives have been known to fail more frequently anyway.

BUT, since you are starting from scratch, why saddle yourself with OK while spending a bunch of dough when you could by the 3-4-5 gearkit from MTS (there is a thread here with links) and run your stock R&P instead and end up with a much better gearbox -- ratios -- strength --- gaps. In hindsight, this is what I would do (wasn't available in 2003 when I built my Golf though).

Not sure what the going price for a 4.25 R&P is but here goes:

Option #1 -- Frustratingly big gaps between gears. Top speed of ridiculous 135mph+ with 62cm tires
4.25 R&P
0.91 5th gear from 16v

Option #2 --- Motorsports gear spacing for 2-3-4-5. first to second is still big but you rarely use this anyway. Top speed about 115 with 62cm tire
stock R&P
3-4-5 MTS gearkit

On the differential--- especially if you are paying someone else to do the gearbox work & setup. With the Wavetrac, plan to pull the box apart every couple of events to replace the itty bitty friction plates. Otherwise, it will work like a Quaife or Peloquin --- badly for rally --- I tried that too back in 2002 when the only option was that or unobtainable VW-Motorsports parts.

One. Class -- 2WD

Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Godlike Moderator

March 20, 2015 03:56PM
hoche
Josh Wimpey

What needs rebuilding? If the clutch plates go, wouldn't they just revert to being a regular torsen?

I'm also curious about this. The new version of the Wavetrac also incorporates a locker, which sounds neat if it can actually be abused.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login