Posted by zack13277 
zack13277
Zack Rondeau
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Mazda RX7

Re: Project 83 RX7 Stage Car
May 04, 2015 07:23PM
Ok, that works, III call tomorrow at that time.

-Zack
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 04, 2015 07:24PM
zack13277
Ok, that works, III call tomorrow at that time.

Gloovy

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Pete
Pete Remner
Professional Moderator

May 04, 2015 07:54PM

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 04, 2015 07:56PM
Pete

No Japanese can't for the life of them get the l vs r sund right..hell it turns out Cantonese--like my wife---have trouble too.
Maz-dog is Japanese, so its gloovy..

Light?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Pete
Pete Remner
Professional Moderator

May 05, 2015 07:06PM
IIRC it's because they are the same sound, with a little D thrown in for good measure, so whether it sounds like an L or an R depends on your regional accent.

That's not as bad af the F, though, which is more like a forced H sound, sorta kinda maybe...

I can pick up the language, but I'll be damned if I'll ever be able to read it.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
zack13277
Zack Rondeau
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Mazda RX7

May 25, 2015 01:07PM
Hay John V, I may be changing my mind and getting a easier and more part available car, like a neon or something. So I would probably hold off of making those coilovers, I can pay you for your time if you already did stuff though. I'll let you know when I find a different car to build and need coilovers.

Thanks

-Zack
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 25, 2015 10:05PM
zack13277
Hay John V, I may be changing my mind and getting a easier and more part available car, like a neon or something. So I would probably hold off of making those coilovers, I can pay you for your time if you already did stuff though. I'll let you know when I find a different car to build and need coilovers.

Thanks

Listen, don't worry about suspensionfrom me yet, worry about things like alternate final drive, strength of available stuffs..

Remember I have ONLY driven a single FWD car in rally...but when I started I got a factory rebuilt close ratio trans with 5.83:1 final; drive and a nice all steel multi-disc clutch plate LSD for a whopping $365---and paid $345 to airfreight it in.

So when I say EVERY FWD car has the same built in "show-stopper" of either
A) no alternate final drive
cool smiley no clutch plate LSD
or
C) limited--mostly useless alternates for final drive for too much $
D) $1000-1200 min for LSD

And that's not even touching on gear box ratios

THEN you should see why I say STAY THE COURSE...
You're on the right track...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
zack13277
Zack Rondeau
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Mazda RX7

May 26, 2015 04:40AM
I understand what your saying, but if I continue the RX7 I don't know how reliable the rotary I'd going to be, I still have to get a carburetor and rear end, which would cost almost the same as a different car, and it's a lot more work to make the stuff for the rear suspension and front subframe. I'm just thinking for my first rally car I should make it easy and just buy a car that all I have to do is put a roll cage, seats, and safety stuff in, and bolt coilovers in and I'm good to go. Also fwd seems to be more competitive.

-Zack
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 26, 2015 09:59AM
zack13277
I understand what your saying, but if I continue the RX7 I don't know how reliable the rotary I'd going to be, I still have to get a carburetor and rear end, which would cost almost the same as a different car, and it's a lot more work to make the stuff for the rear suspension and front subframe. I'm just thinking for my first rally car I should make it easy and just buy a car that all I have to do is put a roll cage, seats, and safety stuff in, and bolt coilovers in and I'm good to go. Also fwd seems to be more competitive.

Reliability is a function of time x money x effort...

And a carb and a rear end---that could be what? 100-150 for each? + work installing, whoooo!

Oh buying a whole car for under a 1000 bucks?

Who said "it" whatever it is, who said anything worth a damn "should" be easy?

Should is such a problematic word...I've listened to so many brilliant ideas of what "should" be...I think the whole goddam word should be forbidden.

If you do think you "should" be able to "just put a roll cage, seats, and safety stuff in, and bolt coilovers in and I'm good to go"

Then perhaps your impression of what a rally car and what is involved is in error...
Or your expectations of the work at the beginning versus laughs on the stage is wrong..

Zack, "everybody' says "buy a car, you'll be in the woods sooner" notice that the subject is time?
How SOON you'll be "in the words"......
Not a peep about in what.

Maybe to you driving a Yaris down the street is reeeeeeeeaaaaaallly exciting..
Somehow the idea doesn't seem particularly exciting to me..

Plenty of others will tell you it's a brilliant idea---note that its a brilliant idea for YOU to spend the more or less fixed cost of cage/suspension/seats/harnesses/etc on a newer car for which there is as far as we know ZERO chance of changing the final drive to make it accelerate quicker, possibly, PROBABLY ZERO chance to ever find a LSD...so basically no point in EVER thinking about any engine mods for any more power..

not them.
We get a lot of guys with lifetime projects for obscure or weird ass junk--who will probably never do a mile of SS with their personal pet projects---who encourage others to build ANYTHING--doesn't matter, build anything---they don't care---because they aren't spending the money---or driving the thing---you are..

Also fwd seems to be more competitive

Anybody who says that is bullshitting..And a major proponent often quoted is a bullshitter..

IT IS THE SPECIFICATION of the car that is decisive...
power
torque
weight
brakes,
steering
suspension
final drive ratio
(for n.a.) Gear box gear spacing
Diff

It is UNIMPORTANT which end drives

It is an OBVIOUS FACT that the COST to build an equivalent spec FWD car is 3 or 4 or even 5 times more--or more---than a comparable RWD car.

And a FWD is no more fun.., no more "competitive".

A more philosophical question might be "competitive: are YOU?"
How motivated are you?
I give you a hint:
the central thing to getting any kind of "better than average" results in any endeavor is
persistence...
Staying the course, and ignoring bleating sheep.

You have Pete and Alex here to help you..2 of the smraterer guys here, and obviously willing to advise you...who just happen to be decades long Maz-dog pervs...

Any Yaris ex-spurts here to help you?

Or just fan-'bois who don't give a shit one way or another what you do really.?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
zack13277
Zack Rondeau
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Mazda RX7

May 26, 2015 04:29PM
I know I should finish the RX7, but my main reason not to is all the work i have to do. It's a lot less work to buy a different car and not have to deal with rear end, front subframe mods. I found a Neon ACR that has a better final drive ratio, and I can get a LSD fairly cheapish. I rallycrossed a Neon last year and loved how it handled. Also parts are everywhere, and SRT4 or 2.4l swaps for more power if I need it. I really feel this is my best option. Also I'm not 100% sure that the 13b engine I bought is good, the guy said it ran great, but who knows that could be about $1500 to spend on the RX7.

-Zack
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 26, 2015 06:21PM
zack13277
I know I should finish the RX7, but my main reason not to is all the work i have to do. It's a lot less work to buy a different car and not have to deal with rear end, front subframe mods. I found a Neon ACR that has a better final drive ratio, and I can get a LSD fairly cheapish. I rallycrossed a Neon last year and loved how it handled. Also parts are everywhere, and SRT4 or 2.4l swaps for more power if I need it. I really feel this is my best option. Also I'm not 100% sure that the 13b engine I bought is good, the guy said it ran great, but who knows that could be about $1500 to spend on the RX7.

You're going to do what you want..
There's a belief out there that we learn best from mistakes..
I say "Yeah---but they don't have to be your own mistakes---a fart smeller can learn from other meople's pistakes"

Look at people all over the world who have experience of the various drive configurations.

Again and again you see guys who have already done very high level 4wd stuff---including getting serious Championship level --both national and Whirled Champignonskit level---going and building RWD cars....

They cost far less than a comparable spec FWD..
And they are way more fun...

Ya know Anders greens 43% do 3 events and disappear figure?

I say that figure corresponds to the near unanimous Inter-net forum wisdom of people knee-jerk repeating "Get a FWD car and don't do anything just enter an event and learn to drive"
And the often openly stated belief "Don't bother doing anything to you first car just do some events and then move UP to a turbo 4wd car"

Cause before the Rise of the Inter-net forum that "just get any old POS and learn to drive" bullshit was only heard from old geezer SCCA types--the ones that do auto-cross and H prod roadrace and TSD rally "at 110%" (hmmmm doing 110% when the Speed Average is 34mph?) and just flitted around dabbling in a un-committed way in some fucked up stock class, just so they could bullshit newbs saying "Yep I are uh Racer...lemme tell ya".

Collectively we mostly built RWD cars, and "we" mostly stayed in the sport for longer...and did more events cause it was easier to build a real rally car...

You can learn for others mistakes...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
zack13277
Zack Rondeau
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Mazda RX7

May 26, 2015 08:03PM
I've rallycrossed an awd Talon, rwd RX7, and fwd Neon and i did the best and felt the most comfortable in the neon. I know rallyx is different than stage rally, but i do like fwd. I'll try to be the other 57% of his figure and stick with it. Haha I can call you for coilovers if I do fwd right? Haha.

-Zack
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

May 26, 2015 10:08PM
zack13277
I've rallycrossed an awd Talon, rwd RX7, and fwd Neon and i did the best and felt the most comfortable in the neon. I know rallyx is different than stage rally, but i do like fwd. I'll try to be the other 57% of his figure and stick with it. Haha I can call you for coilovers if I do fwd right? Haha.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 26, 2015 10:46PM
zack13277

Zack remember rallycross is like wanking: fun to do but i don't wanna sit around all day and watch other guys do it..
It has NOTHING to do with rally

In fact I'm going to tell you that a person could become a better rally driver by watching good clear outside the car videoes and then sitting under a tree and visualizing cars doing turns perfectly.

ANYTHING works well in Grass-o-cross if the driver doesn't fuck up royally, so don't make a massive blunder of a decision based on jerkin the gherkin in a field...

An RX& done right---and driven well is a good RALLY car

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
riverwestauto
jake henes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 jetta

June 01, 2015 07:35PM
Oh no where why? No more rotary rear rally in Wisconsin?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login