dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

Audi CQ Rally Build
April 30, 2015 12:59PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the site, was referred over here by A.J who's building/built an old audi himself and has been giving me some advice on some audi forums.

Background on the car: Davescq.wordpress.com
Audi Forum topic: http://theprojectpad.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1581

This is my first stage rally build, I've been a co-constructor on a few lemons car builds but that's about it.

Goals for the car currently:
Tear it down to basics and rebuild what I have to properly and distribute money carefully...
"OEM-esque" suspension to start to save money
Since I'm a true novice, I'll be treading lightly around power mods...
Cage may be delayed until I get some road miles on the car.... tbd

Current State of the car:

Still removing sound deading and garbage from the interior and simplifying the wiring harness. Rear suspension has been dropped out, front suspension has been mostly disassembled, engine has been run for a bit (first time in about 6 years) - and will be removed with the trans soon.

Some big current questions I have:
How do I source seats without breaking the bank (is that even possible?) I want the side head protection and the cheapest I've been able to find is like 700 a seat :-\

Fuel lines... mine are completely rusted and require replacement. I heard people running them inside the car? Also looking for some details on running the fuel pump on quick disconnects.

What to do with my Drivers window which is inoperable. Rules make it sound like they have to be able to go up and down? I was originally thinking of doing a polycarbonate replacement for the drivers side only for now. car was sold to me with the window looking like this:

Thanks in advance! smileys with beer

Blog about my history with the rally car written for non-automotive folk: davescq.wordpress.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

Re: Audi CQ Rally Build
April 30, 2015 01:13PM
I'll throw in one more picture for context, enjoy!

Blog about my history with the rally car written for non-automotive folk: davescq.wordpress.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 30, 2015 01:20PM
so lemme see....want the latest baddest ass seats imaginable

but going to skip suspension...

hmmmmmmsmileys with beer

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

April 30, 2015 01:58PM
Hi John,

For seats I just want something safe and cheap! I'm not looking for the latest in carbon fiber technology! Just something that protects my noggin and leaves a little money to be spent elsewhere...

As for suspension, A.J. was showing me your upper strut mount solution, this is something I may definitely be interested in if you want to PM me some details - this is a huge trouble are for these cars without rally abuse...

deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

April 30, 2015 07:20PM
I bought a pair of Corbeau Forza Sports a few months ago, with FIA tags from Soloracer.com for $638 shipped. About the cheapest tagged seat you'll find. I don't plan on running them forever, but should work out great as noobtastic seats for my jalopy.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 30, 2015 07:44PM
Dave, one thing to really keep in mind is anything with an expiration date should be put on the list "Do at last possible minute" or as i say "UPS arrives after the car is loaded on the trailer and the tow rig is loaded and engine idling..
maybe a bit extreme but too many guys seem to want to buy belts, romper suit, harnesses, helmets and seats far too early in the whole process, and then they build drags on and the stuff expires tooo toooo soon.. I did that with my last car build---brand new belts expired before the car was ready..

I always adise guys to make a carefully thought out "Triage List"
a) stuff you absolutely MUST DO
b) stuff you oughtter do while doing the stuff above
c) stuff if you have any time, money and energy left...

Just sayin'

Be careful. be a real pisser if you spend a lotta dough and have to buy new stuff after 1 event.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

April 30, 2015 08:17PM
john vanlandingham
Dave, one thing to really keep in mind is anything with an expiration date should be put on the list "Do at last possible minute" or as i say "UPS arrives after the car is loaded on the trailer and the tow rig is loaded and engine idling..
maybe a bit extreme but too many guys seem to want to buy belts, romper suit, harnesses, helmets and seats far too early in the whole process, and then they build drags on and the stuff expires tooo toooo soon.. I did that with my last car build---brand new belts expired before the car was ready..

Just sayin'

Be careful. be a real pisser if you spend a lotta dough and have to buy new stuff after 1 event.

Very good point. Stuff to think about.

For seats too, I'd advise spending the extra monies on side mounts as well. Being able to adjust the seat, can be a god send.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 30, 2015 08:37PM
deaner
john vanlandingham

Just sayin'

For seats too, I'd advise spending the extra monies on side mounts as well. Being able to adjust the seat, can be a god send.

Well you and I both know shit happens..Work, marriages, kids, 6 surgical hospitalisations in a 4 year period..puts a dent in plans..

Gotta Plan

a

Head

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

April 30, 2015 09:00PM
john vanlandingham
deaner
john vanlandingham

Just sayin'

Well you and I both know shit happens..Work, marriages, kids, 6 surgical hospitalisations in a 4 year period..puts a dent in plans..

Gotta Plan

a

Head

Indeed. It's amazing how fast a year goes by. I've no problem knowing I may only get a couple rallies out of my tags. That's why I went cheap for now. My car will run different events prior to its first stage more than likely, so as long as I get seat time out them before I upgrade, I'm happy. I spose everyone's siteeeeations are different though.
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 01, 2015 07:49AM
That's a very good point regarding timing... and speaking of medical issues I just brought one upon myself last night while working on the car.

I think I hyperextended my knee while yanking on the climate control box atanding outside the car with my knees against the door sill. I always try to work carefully too... Hopefully the doctor will be calling me here shortly. I thought I would be in the garage this weekend but we'll see.

I'd like to at least have a seat picked out for when it is time to pull the trigger. I do want the side head protection and I see that's driving a lot of the price but that's OK, I'll pay for the extra safety.

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 01, 2015 07:54AM
Seats ponly expire in Canada. We sell Bimarco seats. Grip is headwing seat at $540 shipped. See our website, http://rally.build

Grant Hughes
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 01, 2015 07:59AM
Hi Grant,

I've been on your site before, thanks for the heads up! The thumbnail picture of that seat is deceiving though, it doesn't look like it has the wings until you click on it... That's definitely the best price I've found so far for a seat like this. I'll keep it in mind!

Also, the NASA rules say:

3.7 Seats
Seats shall be of one-piece construction, and shall be firmly mounted
to the floor of the vehicle in such a manner as to prevent the
movement of the seat in case of an accident. Aluminum seats (e.g.
Butler Built, Kirkey) are banned as of 3/1/05. Use of FIA
certified/homologated seats is required.

But I guess it doesn't specifically callout an expiration like the harness does:

3.8 Safety Harness
Five, six or seven-point safety harness are required for both members
of the crew. It is not permitted to mix parts of seat belts. All harnesses
shall be of current FIA or SFI specification.
All SFI certified restraints must be maintained, inspected, and
replaced or rewebbed every two years. The two-year period runs from
the date of manufacture contained on the label attached to the
restraints. Example: SFI belts punched with 05/2011 expired 00:00:01
on 6/01/2013 (one second after midnight, early morning of the first of
June).
All FIA certified restraints may be used through December 31 of the
year of expiration contained on the label attached to the restraints.
FIA certified restraints contain the expiration date on the label
attached to the restraints, and not the date of manufacture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 08:00AM by dalspaugh.
deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

May 01, 2015 08:49AM
I didn't even look at it like that. As far as expiration goes. Good call!
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

May 01, 2015 11:54AM
Run the lines in the car. 3/8" aluminum fuel line is like a buck a foot. Screw the quick connects for the fuel pump and just put two fuel pumps in the back. turn em both on when your on stage, and you can put off a failure. Besides, it's only one friggen fitting to pull em out. The other side is a hose clamp.

JIC fittings are the same thing as AN and were at least 2-3 bucks cheaper a fitting.

I asked vittorio about flexible fuel lines in the car. He said that they inevitably stink, and it's more than triple the cost.

The center of the hood of an early 90's civic has nearly the same curve as the roof of an audi... 20 dollar hood from CL or JY and Voila! sunroof patch panel. (dont remember exact year... found it next to a neighbors garage)

Start hording CQ speedlines. I just bought another set for 50$ at OTR but usually they go for roughly 200$ a set.

And let me know if you find a good source for stainless brake lines. Those are on my prolly should have list....
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 04, 2015 01:26PM
aj_johnson
Run the lines in the car. 3/8" aluminum fuel line is like a buck a foot. Screw the quick connects for the fuel pump and just put two fuel pumps in the back. turn em both on when your on stage, and you can put off a failure. Besides, it's only one friggen fitting to pull em out. The other side is a hose clamp.

JIC fittings are the same thing as AN and were at least 2-3 bucks cheaper a fitting.

I asked vittorio about flexible fuel lines in the car. He said that they inevitably stink, and it's more than triple the cost.

The center of the hood of an early 90's civic has nearly the same curve as the roof of an audi... 20 dollar hood from CL or JY and Voila! sunroof patch panel. (dont remember exact year... found it next to a neighbors garage)

Start hording CQ speedlines. I just bought another set for 50$ at OTR but usually they go for roughly 200$ a set.

And let me know if you find a good source for stainless brake lines. Those are on my prolly should have list....

Thanks for the tips!

Regarding the fuel pump... Is there any special work that has to be done converting over to an outside the tank fuel pump? or is it just stick a hose into the corner of the tank and mount the pump in the car?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login