Posted by dalspaugh 
czwalga
steve czwalga
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

Re: Audi CQ Rally Build
May 04, 2015 02:22PM
I recommend the Bimarco Grip seats. Great seats for the money.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 04, 2015 03:45PM
czwalga

I've been a serious ProADV fan since it came out. Think I will be buying a Grip for my next seat.

Grant Hughes
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 05, 2015 08:46AM
[/center]
czwalga

Great! Happy to get a second recommendation on them. They offer a significant savings than other seats that I can find. Huge win...

Blog about my history with the rally car written for non-automotive folk: davescq.wordpress.com
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

May 06, 2015 10:51PM
dalspaugh

Thanks for the tips!

Regarding the fuel pump... Is there any special work that has to be done converting over to an outside the tank fuel pump? or is it just stick a hose into the corner of the tank and mount the pump in the car?

That's right, forgot that the cq was in tank gotta love the other B3s winking smiley. Where does the outlet come out on that again?
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 07, 2015 08:44AM
aj_johnson
dalspaugh

Thanks for the tips!

Regarding the fuel pump... Is there any special work that has to be done converting over to an outside the tank fuel pump? or is it just stick a hose into the corner of the tank and mount the pump in the car?

That's right, forgot that the cq was in tank gotta love the other B3s winking smiley. Where does the outlet come out on that again?

It comes out under the car, at the front of the tank. Sort of just behind the rear seats. I was thinking I would run a line out of the same spot and right up into the car and mount the pump somewhere right there where it pokes out. That would leave maybe just a few inches of flexible line under the car, and above the subframe (kinda), driveshaft and exhaust.

Blog about my history with the rally car written for non-automotive folk: davescq.wordpress.com
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

May 07, 2015 10:26AM
Should be fine. Sounds like how I would approach it. Should be recessed pretty well up there(assuming the coupe has the same hollow space up under the rear seat area) , but I might throw a small shield over it to deflect rocks.
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 22, 2015 12:12PM
quick update here. All the pieces to the puzzle ( - sway bars and links)

Spindles are getting the hubs and bearing pressed out early next week.

quotes out to some sandblasters in the area...

Stamped arms, subframes and diff mounts to be welded up soon!

Need to buy struts, bushings, fuel lines, fittings, and prolly a pump soon - oops... there goes a 1000....

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 22, 2015 12:43PM
dalspaugh

Need to buy struts,... there goes a 1000....

Well if you want things to last you'lll want some of these---

And that's going to be a little more than $1000...

Closer to $2400....

or the stuff is simply not going to last..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

May 22, 2015 12:50PM
bahaha... thanks John. The puppy is a nice and thoughtful touch...

I WANT those but the budget just doesn't allow for it right now... These are what you made for AJ and others yes? I thought I read something about payment plans? PM me if so...

Some of the trouble is, I just don't knowww what these are going to do for me yet (Aside from ride height, harder spring rates, correct (adjustable?) dampening and a proper upper strut mount) oh wait... that ended up being a lot...

I know an OEM setup isnt a great idea but I also don't want to be that kid that laid out a whole boat load of cash for pretty coilovers who can't really tell you what they're doing for him...

did that make sense?

mothra
Matt Smith
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

May 22, 2015 03:02PM
dalspaugh
I know an OEM setup isnt a great idea but I also don't want to be that kid that laid out a whole boat load of cash for pretty coilovers who can't really tell you what they're doing for him...

did that make sense?

You are making a lot of sense and making some smart decisions about keeping your car preparation under control. Decent suspension (coilovers) are one of the areas that even a novice can appreciate immediately. That said there are plenty that can drive faster than me on the JVAB's with their uprated street suspension.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

August 18, 2015 12:22PM
Ok it's been a while since I've updated this thread. I've gotten a lot of work done but there's much much more to do.

I lost June and some of July to vacation and work traveling. But here's where I stand now:

Engine is out and I'm working on getting the cast exhaust manifold off to replace with an OEM tubular manifold they sold these cars with for a year:

trans is coming off to accomodate a Southbend stage 2E clutch. I also have to change fluid, and slave/master cyclinders and run a new hydraulic line.

I've been tearing through the engine bay throwing things out left and right to simplify this complicated old audi: Cruise control, vacuum lines, aux washer fluid tank and sensors and wiring, charcoal canister and control pieces, hydraulic PS crap (to be replaced with vacuum assist), old rusty fuel lines, ABS and control systems... etc. etc. the list goes on...

Still need to remove a few more things in the engine bay before I can clean it and paint it

What are people using for engine bay paint? the dark blue OEM paint makes it hard to see leaks

Haven't touched the interior much, looks like it did in April sad smiley

New bearings have been pressed in and 70% of the suspension has been refinished with POR15:

Still sooo much more to do... and buy. Project has really started to get expensive but what has me worried more is meeting my hopeful goal of having it running and driving for winter... we'll see that's many hours and many dollars away... how it sits as of last night:

deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

August 18, 2015 07:57PM
Nice to see some progress! Looking good, keep at it. I rattled canned my engine bay, cage and interior with white from Walmart. I can dig through what I used exactly but it turned out pretty well, for what it is... I'd go light colors for the engine bay and interior if I were you. Helps with finding leaks and whatnot, plus it helps with visibility when wrenching, especially in the dark! winking smiley

What are you planning on for suspension? We share the same suspension pretty much(4000 here) as well as sharing a budget! Ha! I'd love a set of JVLs boingers but the budget is so far off right now, it may be a few years. In the meantime, I'm working with a guy out in PA to remake and rerelease "big bore strut extenders" so we can run URS front bilsteins(46mm piston iirc and inverted)on all four corners. Adds a little bit travel but most importantly, strength. I'll probably have $1200-1400 into my setup when all said and done, including a revalve and solid and adjustable strut mounts on all four corners.
Anyhow, keep plugging along! Here are a couple pics of my rattle can job and the difference in stock inserts and URS inserts.
Attachments:
open | download - image.jpg (57 KB)
image.jpg
open | download - image.jpg (46.9 KB)
image.jpg
open | download - image.jpg (40.7 KB)
image.jpg
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

August 19, 2015 07:31AM
Oh very nice!

Seems like everyone does white, I was thinking about a light silver or something but who knows - it will definitely be very light. My garage has limited lighting as you can see there - but way better than I started with! (a single light bulb...)

I was thinking about using a 1-part epoxy... but maybe that's overkill. I suppose a couple layers of decent rattle can would do the trick too. Your bay looks good! - especially with that turbo in there...

For suspension, I'm just putting cheapo struts in there for now until the budget allows for something. I was considering putting Bilstein HDs in there for about $600 but I think I'll just save the money for a proper suspension - JVLs setup or something Tim O or what have you.

I really need/want to get the car running/driving before winter so money will be directed at that for now. There's a lot the car needs just to get to that point...

I've never heard of these "big bore strut extenders" before. any more info? I've never owned one of the big chassis cars. Also, what're you doing for bushings? I was going to do a big order with HPR.

aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

August 19, 2015 08:34AM
BBSE's are a way to use the URS4 strut bodies in the B3 housings. I think you can get 5.5 in of strut travel or so out of em, and they use the larger Bilstien HD body.
http://www.motorgeek.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37729

CQ REAR
HD’s P36-3017
Compressed: 440.0 / 17.32
Extended: 538.5 / 21.20
Travel: 98.5 / 3.88”
Valving: 197/47 Comp/Rebound

Sports P36-3058
Compressed: x / 17.32
Extended: x / 20.41
Travel: x / 3.09”
Valving: 196/47

UR-Q Fronts - P36-3016
Compressed: 435.0 / 17.13”
Extended: 548.5 / 21.59”
Travel: 113.5 / 4.47”
Valving: 174/43 Comp/Rebound

S4 Front Shocks
P36-0370 “HD”
Compressed: 17.28”
Extended: 22.1”
Travel: 122.42mm / 4.82”
Valving: 113/101 Comp/Rebound

P36-0369 “Sport (front)”
Compressed 17.25”
Extended: 21.25”
Travel: 3.92”
Valving: 113/101 Comp/Rebound
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

August 19, 2015 08:51AM
Cut the battery tray out, and weld up a bunch of those firewall holes. (or make sure you have the right plugs for em now) some of them are bitch to get to once the motor/or dash are in the way. Also stick in bulkhead fittings for fuel and brakes while it's easy. Also, white is just the easiest way to go about the engine bay, use a common color. one of the GM whites for instance. Makes it easy to rattle can any future repairs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login