Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Sidedraft Mikuni carbs

Posted by Kurt Thiel 
Kurt Thiel
Mod Moderator

Sidedraft Mikuni carbs
May 14, 2015 02:43AM
I want to get away from the old CIS fuel injection on my 2.0 l 16v gti To make some more power. I have the carbs already they are a set of twin 44 PPh side draft mikuni carbs. I have several different cam choises but I am thinking the Tectonics 288 or 276 cams.. I have several questions and are looking for any guidance before making the changes. One of my problems is what do I do about ignition ? The old distributor has no advance and is computer controlled. I am not sure how to make that work. I did get some ideas on what jets and ventures to run from Todd at Wolf Creek racing. He was a rallying a old Datsun 510 before he got into racing and is the east coast mikuni guy. So I should be in the ball park with jetting. But we will see.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
riverwestauto
jake henes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 jetta

Re: Sidedraft Mikuni carbs
May 14, 2015 06:31AM
How about old aircooled 009 I'm pretty sure you can swap the guts into the 16v style.
Or isn't there a intermediate shaft in the block where 1.8 had the distributor? It's probably just blocked off.

The cis is very tunable once you learn it. Not sure carbs is a better choice but it's a free country. Good luck. I like reinventing the wheel. Obd2 is even better than mechanical injection once you learn binary code.
Kurt Thiel
Mod Moderator

May 14, 2015 07:23AM
i like the old CIS injection however CIS, 02 sensors and large cams just don't get allong. I could go with a smaller cam and make it work however then i would not have the power that i would like to get. bottom like i would like my VW to be on par with the R2 fords as far as power to weight. A stand alone Injection is also an option however i own the carbs allready.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

May 15, 2015 01:13AM
Kurt,

I have nothing to say other then CARBS FTMFW!!!! Never mind those guys and their fancy "maps" (Really what is a fuel map, it's not a map, it's just a bunch of F'n 1's and 0's.... Meh... )
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

May 15, 2015 03:37PM
Kurt Thiel
i like the old CIS injection however CIS, 02 sensors and large cams just don't get allong. I could go with a smaller cam and make it work however then i would not have the power that i would like to get. bottom like i would like my VW to be on par with the R2 fords as far as power to weight. A stand alone Injection is also an option however i own the carbs allready.

Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis? Who says they don't get along?

I got a car rightchere that says that's horse puckey.

I mean, be my guest and go do the carbs and ITB thing, but don't do it for the wrong reasons.

Self-righteous douche canoe
riverwestauto
jake henes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
mk2 jetta

June 08, 2015 06:43PM
Remember to put some good filtration on those mikuniz you'll be sucking in dust and gravel maybe even water! But come on who doesn't love carbs....
dirty_d
Brandon B
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
wabbit season

June 08, 2015 09:10PM
You'll make more power with the fuel injection, and more importantly you'll make power through the whole rev range.

and I say that as a guy with two datsuns that have mikuni phh44's on em. i'd really rather have a good FI setup on a rally car.

That also being said, if you're somewhat local to Todd W. @ wolfcreek and you already have an intake manifold and air horns and filters and low pressure fuel pump for the carb setup it would be pretty neat if you could get it tuned to a satisfactory level. It would sound really cool too.

Ignition wise you could probably just run a msd box like a 6a (this is strictly based on datsun knowledge - I don't know what the new cool stuff is for that these days, but there's some pretty trick programmable ignition bits out there, may even be something setup and ready to go for vw - I was checking this out the other day http://123ignitionusa.com/ - usb programmable, everything in the distributor. it's like livin' in the future. they make one for the 6 cylinder datsun motors anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login