Johns building my XR (oh jeez)

Posted by RileySteenFRT 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Professional Moderator

Re: Johns building my XR (oh jeez)
August 05, 2015 03:45PM
Richard Miller

Stay in school so you can get a good education and then a good job. Engineering worked for lots of us.

I don't entirely agree with this. Not everyone has the mental capacity, the want, financial means, or just the luck to exceed in higher level education. While higher education can get you a higher paying job, you will have massive student debt to pay back over the next decade or two (unless you were lucky or gifted with a financially secure family).

There has been a massive push to tell kids that they NEED to have a higher education to exceed in life. That's not the case. I know many people who work less hours than me, in a blue collar job, and bring more dollars home every month. I also know people who work 80hrs a week in F1 as an engineer, they make less than I do.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 05, 2015 04:28PM
My cousin paid off his house working as an electrical engineer over the last year in contract work in oil field shit. He's like 25 years old, went to local school then university with little to no student loans. Imagine that, being 25, owning a house and NO debt. He's getting married in the spring.

Student loans are the WORST thing ever. I was in the generation that was successfully not taught anything about financial responsibility and alway taught spend now, pay later and that "credit" was so important you should buy everything with credit. Cash is way more important. Bankruptcy 8 years ago took care of most of my debt from my 20s and hard work is paying off my student loans. I pay more annually on them than the median income in the US but want to pay them off in a few years, not 10 or 20.

Grant Hughes
Richard Miller
Richard Miller
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900T, Mustang now running

August 05, 2015 04:54PM
Nope, I agree, a college education isn't always the best way for everyone, but this kid said he wants to be a composite engineer. I assume that is an engineer who designs things with composite materials, not an engineer who is made of several different types of engineers.

RichardM
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

August 06, 2015 09:30AM
"Wear a rubber" was the best advice given in that thread. Way to go Grant!thumbs up
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

August 10, 2015 09:00PM
Badmouthing electrical engineering and Formula SAE!! As a MERICAN I have the RIGHT to be offended about this!!!!

But really electrical engineering isn't for everyone. Think my undergrad program started with 60 people and ended up with 8. But come on, nothing wrong with some FSAE. Tons of oppritunity to learn some thing new, learn how to work with others (like minded and not so like minded), and have a generally kick ass time. And while not everything in the FSAE world will transfer over to rally, all the basics are there. Baja on the other hand, can't speak for them winking smiley.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

August 11, 2015 09:18PM
Thomas Kimsey
Badmouthing electrical engineering and Formula SAE!! As a MERICAN I have the RIGHT to be offended about this!!!!

But really electrical engineering isn't for everyone. Think my undergrad program started with 60 people and ended up with 8. But come on, nothing wrong with some FSAE. Tons of oppritunity to learn some thing new, learn how to work with others (like minded and not so like minded), and have a generally kick ass time. And while not everything in the FSAE world will transfer over to rally, all the basics are there. Baja on the other hand, can't speak for them winking smiley.

EE's are dark lords who experiment with magic smoke and deny all responsibility when their spells go wrong. grinning smiley

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

August 12, 2015 06:26PM
fiasco
Thomas Kimsey

EE's are dark lords who experiment with magic smoke and deny all responsibility when their spells go wrong. grinning smiley

I am really good at skipping the smoke part and going straight to the fire. That skill requires advanced lessons!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login