Posted by Mr. K 
Mr. K
Chris Krepski
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 VW Golf, 8V of fury!

Repainting rally car interior
June 10, 2015 01:30PM
I'm looking to repaint the inside of my rally car. Originally I did it with rattle-can self-etching primer and Krylon paint. Needless to say it's not standing up very well and I'm getting some flash rust. So it's time to use a proper automotive paint in there, something more abrasion resistant. I'm also going to apply some speed tape or something similar to high traffic areas like the top of the door bars.

So my questions:

1) do I have to strip the old paint and re-prime before painting? If so, with what?

2) Any suggestions on what primer and paint to use in there, and how many coats?

Sounds like a good project for now that it's warmer up here in Canuckistan on most days.

Thanks!
Chris
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

Re: Repainting rally car interior
June 10, 2015 08:41PM
I know your problem... you drive your car in too many rallies... it wears out the paint. You need to park it more and just look at it! winking smiley
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 11, 2015 01:01AM
Use a super common color... one of the Chevy whites for instance, really easy to get a rattle can of some reasonably nice paint after you spill brake fluid all over the tunnel. Ot
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

June 11, 2015 02:00AM
common colour is always a good idea. I understand 2 part epoxy primer/ paint is fairly tough so thats what I went with. Sand away all the rust spots and treat the area with some sort of rust killer type thing. failure to sand the rust away will most likely result in it making an unwanted second appearance.

Prep: scuff everything up with scotch bright or something around 220ish grit paper to give the paint going on a better surface to grab. make sure what your painting is dirt/ grease free. For the final step I've been using some sorta final wipe/ acetone type shit to remove any remaining grime: I've heard debate on this step so...confused smiley

You shouldn't need to take the whole thing back to bare metal. I wouldn't simply because if you use a paint stripper and miss removing a bit of residue you can kiss your newly applied paint (in said area) goodbye.

The key is good prep. Most of your time will go into actually preparing it for paint rather than shooting paint. Above is a fairly simple guide to prep and no need to take it any further. We are not painting bazzilion dollar show cars so don't get carried away.
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

June 11, 2015 08:28AM
Here's a little how-to to ensure you get every nook and cranny.
[url=

]Interior Painting 101[/url]

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
MConte05
Matthew Conte
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Subaru Legacy Turbozzzzzz

June 11, 2015 12:01PM
Appliance paint. Use with a roller or foam brushes, then a few cans of spray to get the hard to reach areas. You'll never want to spray bomb an interior again once you do it once. I think 5 quarts and three cans of spray did it for my Legacy.
derekvincent
Derek Vincent
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Lada Samara

June 11, 2015 09:29PM
Chris you only have a month until bear... no starting project unless you have time to finish winking smiley

D.

RallySputnik
www.rallysputnik.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login