Posted by BobOfTheFuture 
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

Terratrip repair?
July 14, 2015 05:47AM
I have a terratrip 303 rally computer that have a bum enter button.

Does anyone repair these things, or am I SOL?

Enablers, All of you.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Terratrip repair?
July 14, 2015 10:58AM
BobOfTheFuture
I have a terratrip 303 rally computer that have a bum enter button.

Does anyone repair these things, or am I SOL?

Not that I know in Merikuh. Maybe the fooking engrish furrin devils that made it will repair, don't weigh much to send over...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

July 14, 2015 12:09PM
Susquehanna Motors sports used to. My son has worked on some for them. Check with them.

Don Kennedy
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

July 14, 2015 08:18PM
take the floopin' thing apart and take the board with bum button out. take notes so you can put it back together. figure out what kind of button it is, it's prolly a normally closed momentary button. but you can check it or a neighboring button with a multimeter to see if it's normally open or normally closed. then go to mouser.com and track the button down. make sure you make note of the contact spacing on the button, how many contacts, etc. if you can't find it on mouser you can try digikey, but mouser's website is far superior. order button. replace, or find electronics dork friend to help.

warning, brits like to overcomplicate their electronics. or needlessly fancify them.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

July 15, 2015 11:52AM
You could also throw it away and use this app on a tablet:

Dante
Kind of off subject, but we've been using the IPad for the last 2 events. Once calibrated, it is extremely accurate. 900 miles of testing in the UP and we have never been off by more than .02 of a mile! It has some awesome features when utilized on recce too. I removed my Terra trip before Expose at Magnum. Not needed after using this.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ase-rally-com/id600267078?mt=8

This was in the VW Golf odometer sending unit thread.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2015 11:53AM by DG_Rally.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

July 15, 2015 12:54PM
Paul Buck
take the floopin' thing apart and take the board with bum button out. take notes so you can put it back together. figure out what kind of button it is, it's prolly a normally closed momentary button. but you can check it or a neighboring button with a multimeter to see if it's normally open or normally closed. then go to mouser.com and track the button down. make sure you make note of the contact spacing on the button, how many contacts, etc. if you can't find it on mouser you can try digikey, but mouser's website is far superior. order button. replace, or find electronics dork friend to help.

warning, brits like to overcomplicate their electronics. or needlessly fancify them.

This sounds like fun, I'll give it a shot.

I have a rally app for the phone, and used it to good success at BRS and somewhat lesser at STPR. Doesn't seem to want to always work, needs a data connection doesn't it?

Enablers, All of you.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

July 15, 2015 03:13PM
Paul Buck
if you can't find it on mouser you can try digikey, but mouser's website is far superior.

DigiKey has more stuff. Mouser has a nicer website and is much easier to actually order from, and they take Paypal.

If you figure out what the part is, please post it here.

I don't know about the Terratrip, but the Terraphone is NOT overcomplicated. If anything, it's undercomplicated, and really could use some compression/filtering circuitry.

BobOfTheFuture
I have a rally app for the phone, and used it to good success at BRS and somewhat lesser at STPR. Doesn't seem to want to always work, needs a data connection doesn't it?

Which rally app? It doesn't need a data connection to just be an GPS-based odometer, but it might refuse to run if other parts of the app need a connection.

Self-righteous douche canoe
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

July 17, 2015 05:17AM
I used the ASE rally monitor 110. It did work great at BRS, didn't want for anything more. I wonder if the problems at Stpr were user error.

Are there any other recomended apps?

Enablers, All of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2015 05:28AM by BobOfTheFuture.
Flying_Finn
Eric Grochowski
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
'96 Golf, '87 Corolla GTS, '99 2.5RS

July 20, 2015 04:01PM
Years ago I sent my 404 into Terratrip in the UK and they sent it back all fixed for what thought was a very reasonable fee and a pretty quick turn around too (must have been a couple of weeks or so). Can't remember much for details but I know it involved replacing one of the LCD screens.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

July 27, 2015 11:49AM
So took it apart.
Paul Buck
Figure out what kind of button it is, it's prolly a normally closed momentary button. but you can check it or a neighboring button with a multimeter to see if it's normally open or normally closed. then go to mouser.com and track the button down.

They aren't individual buttons... The whole face of the terratrip is a sandwich with all the switches and wiring under plastic. I can't test the switches... any of them so that means I'm doing It wrong. But with a pin I can tell the paths at least have continuity. There was a loose screw internally that may have shorted something out, But I can't find anything burnt and there Is no smell.

Anyone have a broken 303 they want to sell?

Enablers, All of you.
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

July 27, 2015 08:08PM
BobOfTheFuture
So took it apart.
Paul Buck
Figure out what kind of button it is, it's prolly a normally closed momentary button. but you can check it or a neighboring button with a multimeter to see if it's normally open or normally closed. then go to mouser.com and track the button down.

They aren't individual buttons... The whole face of the terratrip is a sandwich with all the switches and wiring under plastic. I can't test the switches... any of them so that means I'm doing It wrong. But with a pin I can tell the paths at least have continuity. There was a loose screw internally that may have shorted something out, But I can't find anything burnt and there Is no smell.

well if the enter button is the only bad thing on the unit then there wouldn't be a smell. smells only from burning, caused by shorts or over voltage or other terrible factors. if you can snap a photo i might be able to help more but if it's too much trouble in the long run just send it to terratrip... if they'll fix it for a reasonable price. but i do kindof want too see this "sandwich" you speak of.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 27, 2015 08:44PM
Paul Buck
BobOfTheFuture
So took it apart.
Paul Buck

well if the enter button is the only bad thing on the unit then there wouldn't be a smell. smells only from burning, caused by shorts or over voltage or other terrible factors. if you can snap a photo i might be able to help more but if it's too much trouble in the long run just send it to terratrip... if they'll fix it for a reasonable price. but i do kindof want too see this "sandwich" you speak of.

Ham sammich?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

July 28, 2015 04:18AM
Paul Buck
BobOfTheFuture
So took it apart.
Paul Buck

I'll take pics when home...
I looked for burnt stuff because there was a loose screw inside... Indiscriminate voltage does ugly things.

John- Bologna!

Enablers, All of you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login