ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

VWMS 020 Tech
July 31, 2015 04:28PM
Gents,
Been talking a bit with Chris Eyre about the VWMS transmissions and the differences to a stock box outside of the gearset, FD and diff, kind of coming up short, no real good data out there, homologation papers have no real data.
Does anyone here have some pics of the 8V and 16V versions, both outside and inside the cases.
I know there is some minor machining required to fit the gears but other than that theres not a lot out there.
Apparently the bearing retainer plates are machined instead of stamped??

PICS PICS PICS
Thanks,
Steve

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 11:57PM by ElectroTech.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
danster
Haggis Muncher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

Re: VWMS 020 Tech
July 31, 2015 05:33PM
I've certainly had to internally clearance casings to fit certain gear ratios in to gear casings that were not originally equipped with those specific ratios.
So it really depends what parts you are going to use as to whether any clearance work requires to be done.

The pressed steel bearing retainer plates for the output shaft at the pinion end, and the input shaft bearing at the 4th / 5th gear end may get uprated parts in genuine VWMS boxes, but I've not seen any failures directly caused by the standard oem parts failing.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
ElectroTech
Steve Wheeler
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1992 Golf

July 31, 2015 07:16PM
danster
I've certainly had to internally clearance casings to fit certain gear ratios in to gear casings that were not originally equipped with those specific ratios.
So it really depends what parts you are going to use as to whether any clearance work requires to be done.

The pressed steel bearing retainer plates for the output shaft at the pinion end, and the input shaft bearing at the 4th / 5th gear end may get uprated parts in genuine VWMS boxes, but I've not seen any failures directly caused by the standard oem parts failing.

It doesn't sound like they did a whole lot to them, maybe class rules dictated stock external apearance? Are the cases thicker? Shift forks better? Clearancing is minor just want to understand what other than the gears/LSD made them "VWMS".

Power means nothing if you cannot control it!
Chris Eyre
Chris Eyre
Senior Moderator

August 01, 2015 02:56AM
ElectroTech
It doesn't sound like they did a whole lot to them, maybe class rules dictated stock external apearance? Are the cases thicker? Shift forks better? Clearancing is minor just want to understand what other than the gears/LSD made them "VWMS".

In the parts manual, whenever you see items which are "SP" or "VWM" suffixed, these are an indication of modified parts or bespoke parts.

The practical aspect is addressing what is breaking now that needs addressing?

Certainly cheating and creativity aside, whatever they were doing casings-wise, we are stuck with what we can find!

Maybe, just maybe, it’s down to the driver.

VWMotorsport.info | SeatSport.info | 4 VW Golf Mk3 A59s exclusively revealed > here <
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login