Advanced

T5 behind a rotary. pilot bearing....

Posted by Gravity Fed 
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: T5 behind a rotary. pilot bearing....
February 29, 2016 09:59PM
chrome is probably illegal in CA

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

February 29, 2016 10:51PM
The ecoboost uses a 15mm ID roller bearing for a pilot as well. It also has a t5 behind it. Turned the input shaft in a lathe without much trouble. It is hard, so carbide tooling that's in good shape is beneficial.
No input shaft wear issues to report of so far.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 01:28AM
Robert Culbertson
The ecoboost uses a 15mm ID roller bearing for a pilot as well. It also has a t5 behind it. Turned the input shaft in a lathe without much trouble. It is hard, so carbide tooling that's in good shape is beneficial.
No input shaft wear issues to report of so far.

How about reports of my bellhousing you were supposed to be looking for--months ago.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

March 01, 2016 08:49AM
john vanlandingham

How about reports of my bellhousing you were supposed to be looking for--months ago.

Your reading comprehension and memory is terrible. I've mentioned, at least twice, that I found the bell housing and it's sitting at my place and that I would bring it to Seattle next time I was up there.... or you could arrange pickup.

Anyways, you should have it now. I ran into Roderick in Portland randomly last night and I was able to place it in his hands.

Happy?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 10:13AM
Robert Culbertson
john vanlandingham

Your reading comprehension and memory is terrible. I've mentioned, at least twice, that I found the bell housing and it's sitting at my place and that I would bring it to Seattle next time I was up there.... or you could arrange pickup.

Anyways, you should have it now. I ran into Roderick in Portland randomly last night and I was able to place it in his hands.

Happy?

You will be a lucky man if your reading and comprehension and general awareness of life ever approaches 1/2 to where I was at your age...but don't hold your breath

I just asked, friend...Since it seems that I lent this out, along with a Supra diff and a pile of other things--like a full Sierra Cosowerth worth of brakes and calipers and STUFF in the back and that was OK, the returning it part seems to be less important..

Since you decided you will intervene everywhere and you have been informed, I ask YOU. You have time to pontificate on every subject, seems like maybe you could throw it in a box and send the thing before somebody forgets AGAIN and throws it away.. Then send the bill to whoever is paying the bills..

As for Roderick having it that's no comfort....I would expect some 35 minute long story why he had to sell it to buy a pick up which broke down so he had to buy another pick up which overheated and he couldn't manage to take out two bolts for the thermostat and the car got towed and it cost $300 to get it ouut and then he bought a nother wagon to get to work cheaper and the DMV charhed him $12000 so that's why he's $4000 behind on the rent and utilities and he lost the bellhousing cause blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

And so he's avoiding showing his face.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

March 01, 2016 10:24AM
Chill Winston... I should have used a smiley face at the end there. Not meaning to attack your reading skillz. And why waste $25 in shipping if it can be done for free. Not that is matters, but are you needing the bell right now?

I also have no idea what deal you worked out with whoever in regards to xratty parts. That's your deal man. I'm just spinning wrenches and making cars and drivers go faster smiling smiley

Well hopefully Roderick made it back to the asylum with the bell. His car was sounding pretty rough when he left Garth's shop. I don't envy you being a landlord, I'm sure the Volvos are starting to multiply like bunnies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 10:27AM by Robert Culbertson.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 11:29AM
Robert Culbertson
Chill Winston... I should have used a smiley face at the end there. Not meaning to attack your reading skillz.

You imply that every time you cntrdict good advice with your too often conventional, conservative, consumerist advice..

And why waste $25 in shipping if it can be done for free. Not that is matters, but are you needing the bell right now?

Because I lent it like i have done with dozens of guys over the last 30 years, generously and stating clearly that they must keep track of what I lend them (logically they have to just keep reack of one debt...I would need to keep track of dozens.. They should be able to) and I do not get things back, not that they are evil but because either they forget of according to some new rule I didn't get the memo on if you barrow something, the debt expirses as soon as you don't remember it..

I also have no idea what deal you worked out with whoever in regards to xratty parts. That's your deal man. I'm just spinning wrenches and making cars and drivers go faster smiling smiley

You had no idea. You're spinning wrenches and that means your involved with whoever owns the car and if the overall idea is to help the owner, then this in part helps.

Well hopefully Roderick made it back to the asylum with the bell. His car was sounding pretty rough when he left Garth's shop. I don't envy you being a landlord, I'm sure the Volvos are starting to multiply like bunnies.

He made it back, I saw the bell in the back when going to school with the girlies. But as said he's avoiding all contact since he's burned this bridge to the ground and I've let him know I don't believe a single word he says about anything anymore...So many cock and bull stories, so much taking and not ever a end to it..not even making any effort to do the minimum contractual obligations.. 30 days left on the 3 month extension we gave him.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

March 01, 2016 02:07PM
john vanlandingham
Robert Culbertson
Chill Winston... I should have used a smiley face at the end there. Not meaning to attack your reading skillz.

You imply that every time you cntrdict good advice with your too often conventional, conservative, consumerist advice..

Seriously wasn't trying to be malicious. Snarky and sarcastic, of course. That's how I talk in person.
Calling me conservative and a consumerist, there's a little truth in there... but not much.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 02:46PM
Robert Culbertson
john vanlandingham
Robert Culbertson

Seriously wasn't trying to be malicious. Snarky and sarcastic, of course. That's how I talk in person.
Calling me conservative and a consumerist, there's a little truth in there... but not much.

20 something boys or wait "emerging adults " as you are officially classified really should save their snark and sarcasm for their peer group..That's how you boys think you establish position in hierarchies and it is and has always been dumb when applied to non-peer groups.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

March 01, 2016 05:36PM
john vanlandingham
Ascona73
Have it ground on a crank grinder. Takes like 5 minutes.

Bring it to a hard chrome shop (not decorative shiny chrome) and have them plate just the area the bearing rides on.

Neither operation should break the bank.

Way way overkill... again what's the speed difference 99% of the time? ZERO..
Simple turning operation.

Well, maybe. Enough people enjoy pilot bearing failure (usually locks the trans to the engine too) that I wouldn't want to chance it.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

March 01, 2016 05:56PM
Pete
Well, maybe. Enough people enjoy pilot bearing failure (usually locks the trans to the engine too) that I wouldn't want to chance it.

That only happens after it cools back down.

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 01, 2016 06:04PM
Pete
john vanlandingham
Ascona73
Have it ground on a crank grinder. Takes like 5 minutes.

Bring it to a hard chrome shop (not decorative shiny chrome) and have them plate just the area the bearing rides on.

Neither operation should break the bank.

Way way overkill... again what's the speed difference 99% of the time? ZERO..
Simple turning operation.

Hasn't happened.

Yetdrinking smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

March 01, 2016 07:53PM
One of the funniest working on a car stories was from a Mazda pilot bearing failure. The method that finally worked for removing the transmission involved chaining a truck to it. And getting a running start with the truck.

Almost as good as the video I saw of a shop trying to remove the fuel injectors from a direct injected Focus. They somehow attached an engine hoist to the fuel injector. And lifted the front of the car 2-3 feet off the ground. Then "bounced" the car with the cherrypicker. Injector never budged. And you thought the 3-valve Mod motor spark plugs sucked.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 07:56PM by Pete.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

March 18, 2016 12:16PM
update: the hardness of the T5 pilot snout is Rc58.... aside from that trying to get it done here Monday through a local connection so i can finish this crap heap.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

March 23, 2016 07:30PM
Ford T5 input, cut to diameter:

I'm the poor sucker who has to wrestle the trans in, so I'm going to put a nice bullet nose on it so it will go in more easier:

Inductively heat because I wanted to see if I could do it this way instead of with torches:

Dunk in oil:

And done! Smoothcase input (bullet nosed because I do that to ALL of my transmissions) is on bottom for comparison:

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login