Posted by Josh Wimpey 
Tom B
Tom B
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

Re: VW MK2 front CV Axle options
April 04, 2016 03:59PM
VR6 Plus suspension and axles O2A would be a cheaper fix...ratios suck in O2A for NA stuff though.

We run mkIII VR6 hubs and outers in mkII housings, had to fill and redrill the hubs for 4x100 and turn them down a hair to fit wheels. Its a bastard setup, I think VR6 plus with 5x100 wheels would be the smart way to do it on the cheap. You could have a spare corner waiting for you in service for a couple hundo.

We haven't broken one yet with LOTS of torque. Spat out a couple of factory 02a third gears before a gear set swap.

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2016 04:02PM by Tom B.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

April 04, 2016 04:41PM
Tom,

Are you saying that VR6 hubs press into mk2 bearings? I always assumed this was true.

Are you saying that VR6 outer CVs will slip onto mk2 or mk3 4-cyl shafts? I always assumed this was true too.

No need for any "plus" stuff.
No need for trans swaps as 020 and 02A and 02J trans with 100mm flanges all have the same width at the flanges....

My only thinking is that in the era of cheap Chinese CV joints, the bolt-style outers are likely much stronger than the nut-style outers that seem to fail due to poor metallurgy and/or machining at the transition from the spline to the face--see image

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.PNG (137.8 KB)
Capture.PNG
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Senior Moderator

April 04, 2016 05:11PM
I know I'm not Tom, but...

The VR6 splines are larger diameter (as you probably know), and you can get them from GKN for $150/per if you feel like getting a super quality part.

The hubs have the same OD where they press into the bearings. The VR6 may have a different internal spline though, but since you are running the wider control arms, a swap to VR6 axles shafts and CVs would probably solve that issue. Assuming that the B3 Passat arms and VR6 control arms are close enough in length to accommodate any difference in axle shaft length.

I do like the Audi style with the bolt though, that makes things so much easier with regards to servicing them.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

April 04, 2016 05:48PM
Robert Culbertson
The hubs have the same OD where they press into the bearings. The VR6 may have a different internal spline though, but since you are running the wider control arms, a swap to VR6 axles shafts and CVs would probably solve that issue. Assuming that the B3 Passat arms and VR6 control arms are close enough in length to accommodate any difference in axle shaft length.

The mk3 Golf GTI / VR6 5 stud type outer CVs have the same internal splines as the 4 stud CV types.
One has to be careful to check shaft plunge through suspension travel and steering lock ranges if mixing and matching shafts and wishbones.

Robert Culbertson
I do like the Audi style with the bolt though, that makes things so much easier with regards to servicing them.

I've got loads of the VR type outer CVs that have either damaged or sheared off threaded sections. Generally caused by either incorrect torquing procedures, or people belling over the threads by trying to whack them out of the drive flanges, and not realising they are originally installed with a loctite type compound so need pressed / pulled out.
Been meaning to bore them out and tap them to take the large bolt...

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Tom B
Tom B
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

April 06, 2016 03:28PM
Josh Wimpey
Tom,

Are you saying that VR6 hubs press into mk2 bearings? I always assumed this was true.

Are you saying that VR6 outer CVs will slip onto mk2 or mk3 4-cyl shafts? I always assumed this was true too.

No need for any "plus" stuff.
No need for trans swaps as 020 and 02A and 02J trans with 100mm flanges all have the same width at the flanges....

My only thinking is that in the era of cheap Chinese CV joints, the bolt-style outers are likely much stronger than the nut-style outers that seem to fail due to poor metallurgy and/or machining at the transition from the spline to the face--see image

Yes, the VR hubs press into the mkII bearings, and yes the VR hubs go right onto the std mkII axles. Plus stuff would just be handy for the 11.3" brakes possibly.

Are the axle lengths the same for 02A vs 020?

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

April 06, 2016 04:27PM
Tom B

Are the axle lengths the same for 02A vs 020?

so long as you run mk3/passat length control arms it doesn't matter what trans you have, you need the longer mk3 axles.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
danster
Haggis Muncher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

April 06, 2016 04:57PM
Josh Wimpey
So long as you run mk3/passat length control arms it doesn't matter what trans you have, you need the longer mk3 axles.

There are several different types / lengths of mk3 axles so care needs to be taken when selecting shafts.

Old Skool link back to when forums used to be a useful resource... Lot of effort and info in the thread, but the place got trashed before the tables and dimensions got a final finesse.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?155374-Driveshaft-lengths-(bare-driveshaft-lengths)-**-wanted-**&p=1841105&viewfull=1#post1841105

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login