Posted by Garrett Griffith 
Garrett Griffith
Garrett Griffith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

Re: E36 M42 Build
May 25, 2016 10:14PM
Its been a quick minute since I've posted on here. The semester finally ended so this has allowed me to work a bit more on the car. With the 50mph shaking being a problem, I did some research and decided to check out my tie rods, control arms and bushings. Needless to say, everything was due for a refresh.

This took a bit of work as there are VERY tight joints to break loose. Being new to the auto industry, I don't have a plethora of tools at me disposal and spent a few hours trying to break loose the control arms. A trip to Harbor Freight and one large pickle fork later, I was able to bash loose everything with a 10lb sledge hammer. Next was to fit the new bushing in their respective holders.... That was very difficult and ended up involving dry ice, cutting torch, and a 16 ton hydraulic press. The next step was to then firmly press the rubber bushing bastards on the control arms. thumbs down not so simple as it would seem. For the first was the worst and yielded me being drenched in sweat from tormenting the two pieces together. Just. keep. twisting. Since I had one left, I just lubricated it all with soap and it slipped right in.thumbs up smiley I don't really care at this point if it isn't the best thing to use, I just never want to touch these things again.

I got a new jack as well! previously I have been using just like a $40 8" jack I borrowed from my father. It was really sketchy stacking wooden blocks on it to reach a workable height. So for my birthday I got this bad boy! 24" max lift.

I was also tired of looking at nasty yellow headlights, so with a little bug spray and clear coat I did this. (only one side has been done mind you)
Not perfect by any means but a hell of a lot better than they were.

So I suppose next step is to finalize the cage order and prepare the car for that stage of its life.

"Cut the don'ts" - Garrett
Please Login or Register to post a reply
formyhealth
Danny Maxwell
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 BMW 318is

May 25, 2016 11:57PM
Looking good man, I've got an E30 318is I'm building as well (M42 engine).

Good luck, I'll be watching this one.
Garrett Griffith
Garrett Griffith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

May 31, 2016 09:58PM
Just a quick update. I took the car for a long distance (210 miles) stress test and it passed my expectations. I don't know if that is saying much, but I am happy my front suspension refresh and -2mm self alignment is on point! There is still a >50mph grumble when letting of the accelerator. Not sure where exactly its coming from but is defiantly in the rear. Diff? rear bushings? unfortunate rattle? who knows? Two things became very clear during this trip... Need to fix windows ASAP and get suspension because both front struts are defiantly blown. Might be a while until the next update (cage prep).

Nate.Vincent
Nate Vincent
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW 318ti

June 01, 2016 08:11AM
Garrett Griffith
Just a quick update. I took the car for a long distance (210 miles) stress test and it passed my expectations. I don't know if that is saying much, but I am happy my front suspension refresh and -2mm self alignment is on point! There is still a >50mph grumble when letting of the accelerator. Not sure where exactly its coming from but is defiantly in the rear. Diff? rear bushings? unfortunate rattle? who knows? Two things became very clear during this trip... Need to fix windows ASAP and get suspension because both front struts are defiantly blown. Might be a while until the next update (cage prep).

Check your guibo and your center bearing on the drive shaft. That decceleration sound sounds like it could be those two items. You should replace them anyways. Also, often on the e36 the heat shields come loose and rub the drive shaft.

Also I parted a e36 328i with full bilsteins HD (well 3 out of four). I could let them go cheap if you need a suspension set up to get you by for a little. They aren't perfect but they hold oil and dampen appropriately. I have both fronts and only one rear. I also have reinforced rear top mounts. I can PM you some pictures if your interested.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2016 08:14AM by Nate.Vincent.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 01, 2016 10:05AM
Nate.Vincent
Garrett Griffith

Check your guibo and your center bearing on the drive shaft. That decceleration sound sounds like it could be those two items. You should replace them anyways. Also, often on the e36 the heat shields come loose and rub the drive shaft.

Also I parted a e36 328i with full bilsteins HD (well 3 out of four). I could let them go cheap if you need a suspension set up to get you by for a little. They aren't perfect but they hold oil and dampen appropriately. I have both fronts and only one rear. I also have reinforced rear top mounts. I can PM you some pictures if your interested.

Dooooood. fuck this "I can Peee Em piccies"

Post them..
Post 'em with tape measures next to them---HERE.

Think of the Lurkers!

Lotta guysd read these forums...
One guy reads a fucking PeeeEM
Same effort to inform one guy or potentially dozens.

We don't fly the Red Banner for no good reasons round here,
we fly the Red Banner because we know more is accomplished with conscious collective action..

Share with US.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Garrett Griffith
Garrett Griffith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

June 01, 2016 09:36PM
Yeah shoot a PM or just post them on this thread! I am interested in something that will suffice until I order JVABs from the specialty chef.

Also the transmission guibo has been replaced, and the heat shield has been attached securely once over. I was begining to think the drive shaft bearing as well! Ill get another ear to listen and try to pin point this sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2016 09:40PM by Garrett Griffith.
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

June 02, 2016 06:14AM
Were all of the engine mounts / transmission mounts verified to be in good shape? That type of vibration could very well be from mounts. I had a few E34 chassis 5 series, and went through this in two of them. Build is coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Garrett Griffith
Garrett Griffith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

June 02, 2016 10:10PM
engine mounts look functional. Tranny mounts are new. I havent touched anything in the rear. tongue sticking out smiley

Nate.Vincent
Nate Vincent
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW 318ti

June 02, 2016 11:27PM
Here is the suspension I pulled from that parts car.

Garrett Griffith
Garrett Griffith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

June 03, 2016 09:34PM
how much $$$$?

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 04, 2016 01:07AM
Nate.Vincent
Here is the suspension I pulled from that parts car.

Time for some tape measures and notes like wat dem sprangs?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Garrett Griffith
Garrett Griffith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

June 26, 2016 05:30PM
John, Call me sometime after 5:30 CST or PM me. Thanks.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 26, 2016 07:36PM
Garrett Griffith
John, Call me sometime after 5:30 CST or PM me. Thanks.

Sure..But its way easier when you gimme a phone numbah, bra.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

June 29, 2016 03:03PM
Looks good, Garrett.

Those HDs would be a good suspension before you step up to a real rally suspension. And will make good spares if you have an issue with your rally stuff and just need to get to the end of a rally. Or need to move the car if you have to service the rally stuff.

Keep driving it and fixing all of the annoying little stuff. This will make the car so much nicer to race when you get to there.
Garrett Griffith
Garrett Griffith
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

June 29, 2016 06:22PM
I think i've just about fixed everything so far. There is a very very minor oil leak (1 drop per 3 weeks) and I figured out the rear diff has a loose pre-load pinon gear (makes the growl on decel). Those are the only things I can think of that might be a future problem but are very hard to deal with. SOOO I'll address them after the first rally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login