NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: E36 M42 Build
November 01, 2016 10:45AM
NoCoast
Hintz has gone to these with a spacer to raise ride height.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/eib-08755750300/overview/

This could be a non spacer option.
https://m.summitracing.com/parts/eib-09505000300/overview/

They broke bottom mount twice with coils. Bradenvurg did at least once. Roger Matthews did his Saturday.

Oh yeah, I forgot ti say, hintz has gone to these used in the stock spring location instead of coilover.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 01, 2016 11:01AM
NoCoast
NoCoast

They broke bottom mount twice with coils. Bradenvurg did at least once. Roger Matthews did his Saturday.

Oh yeah, I forgot ti say, hintz has gone to these used in the stock spring location instead of coilover.

We know Grant.. maybe you don't know but this has been discussed in person with all involved..
We know how he arrived at the decision, its kinda stupid the sequence of events but that's how things go sometimes...Somehow somebody decided they needed to go across the world and pay 2-3 times the price of what they could have gotten, and for all their trouble, got shit for parts (springs) which coil bound..

That's what happens sometimes when people think they are smarter, Grant, and in this area, they maybe arent. Something you should seriously reflect on.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Da_Elderly
Garrett Griffith
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

November 01, 2016 11:35AM
NoCoast
NoCoast

Are you talking about the rear spring seat area? This would make a whole lot more sense if yes. ha

Be excellent to each other
p0inT92
Thorkild Mathiasen
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Maybe a Lada..

November 01, 2016 12:02PM
Consider solid axle swap? Its all the rage nowadays smiling smiley
Da_Elderly
Garrett Griffith
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

November 01, 2016 12:51PM
p0inT92

Hahahaha yeah no... lol.

So a little update after the move. I got everything to the new location (now have access to air tools!) and during the 90 mile drive, the roaring diff reminded me just how dire a replacement is. Totally thinking an open 188mm diff then welding it. cuz cheap. Another problem is an oil leak on the front of the block. I have yet to degrease and power wash the engine but once I do, I should be able to locate the source. I imagine it is the timing case gasket. I am really tempted to pull the motor and refresh all gaskets. Hopefully that will get me through a couple of hard rallies before I starting thinking about more power. I have never messed with an engine, but it might be time to learn. I mean, after 300k (assumed) miles it MIGHT be time for a little RNR. thumbs up

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 01, 2016 12:52PM
john vanlandingham

That's what happens sometimes when people think they are smarter, Grant, and in this area, they maybe arent. Something you should seriously reflect on.

So true, some people will cross oceans to avoid you. Speaking of, I now have four cage customers that need to get dampers fixed they received from you. They keep running events on them because they fear the 12 month turn around... Well one can't even get you to respond. You should start calling them all to find out who has what problems.
I seldom claim to be smarter in any subject.

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 01, 2016 01:19PM
Da_Elderly
p0inT92

Hahahaha yeah no... lol.

So a little update after the move. I got everything to the new location (now have access to air tools!) and during the 90 mile drive, the roaring diff reminded me just how dire a replacement is. Totally thinking an open 188mm diff then welding it. cuz cheap. Another problem is an oil leak on the front of the block. I have yet to degrease and power wash the engine but once I do, I should be able to locate the source. I imagine it is the timing case gasket. I am really tempted to pull the motor and refresh all gaskets. Hopefully that will get me through a couple of hard rallies before I starting thinking about more power. I have never messed with an engine, but it might be time to learn. I mean, after 300k (assumed) miles it MIGHT be time for a little RNR. thumbs up

Having run both, I'd prefer an open diff to a welded. Easier to drive especially for beginning, easier on equipment, I went through three half shafts in short order with welded.

Grant Hughes
Da_Elderly
Garrett Griffith
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

November 01, 2016 01:21PM
NoCoast
Da_Elderly
p0inT92

Hahahaha yeah no... lol.

Having run both, I'd prefer an open diff to a welded. Easier to drive especially for beginning, easier on equipment, I went through three half shafts in short order with welded.

noted.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 01, 2016 01:31PM
NoCoast
john vanlandingham

So true, some people will cross oceans to avoid you. Speaking of, I now have four cage customers that need to get dampers fixed they received from you. They keep running events on them because they fear the 12 month turn around... Well one can't even get you to respond. You should start calling them all to find out who has what problems.
I seldom claim to be smarter in any subject.

Grant you really are getting transparent in your efforts.. You said recently "you drove off Dave Clark".
Well like so much you say, that's bullshit..
If I drove him off what is he doing dropping off dampers and struts for his customer Porsche project, or me building fresh engines for him or both us wading thru the mountains of bullshit which is anything to do with BMWs trying to make sense of the conflicting crap that Beemer guys wallow in?
The couple of guys who you said "dropped out of the sport" because of me and I've let hang I have been in touch with. We discussed why they had not been active.. Buying a house and shock realisation that this shit is expensive...I quote from one
"My reasons for isolating myself all things Rally in 2015 have to do with other "adulting" factors along with having a sweet new spinal roll cage mod installed."

No as you attempted to portray it..
You exaggerated....as you do far too frequently.. To the point that people are saying "I don't know what the fuck is up with Grant........"

One of them --and i apologize that i cannot remember everybody's name, said he bent the rear 40s and i said send them up; I have sitting on the fucking washing machine since last Spring replacement inserts --with longer bodies for longer overlap, and better stability..
Haven't gotten them here.
What the fuck am I supposed to do..I said send them , they ain't here.
I think its Riley..
You seem to have limitless time on your hands, and he's your friend. Text him or whatever the latest consumer toy you use to communicate and tell him SEND THE REARS..and maybe I can get these things off the washing machine.

No if you'd stop trying to make yourself look good by criticizing me maybe those boys wouldn't be so "worried"

Or maybe they aren't and you're just making up shit talk again.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 01, 2016 02:49PM
Don't wanna muck up a good build thread but, the spinal roll cage guy and bent inserts is one and the same person so maybe you should contact him and find out why he's run two events now this year on badly bent inserts.
Maybe you didn't drive off Dave Clark or Gene Henderson or any of the other people that were assets here that avoid this website. My bad, I apologize.

Grant Hughes
Da_Elderly
Garrett Griffith
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW E36 318i

November 27, 2016 06:19PM
Little update after a week under the car: Radiator is puking from top hose, dunno why. Transmission drain plug leaks. Power washed engine and found the timing cover is leaking oil bad. Both axles have torn boots, 1 axle came out, the other is stuck tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm. Hand brake shoes are cracked and chipped. Motor mounts are torn. Rear rotors are grooved. So yeah got some repairs in store.

^^^^^^^^^^radiator leak

droop and grip tape.

Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 28, 2016 09:44PM
the transmission on my 318ti is basically 100% covered in oil. I probably need to take it out for a clutch eventually and see where that mess is coming from....

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 29, 2016 12:59AM
Gravity Fed
the transmission on my 318ti is basically 100% covered in oil. I probably need to take it out for a clutch eventually and see where that mess is coming from....

Remember youse Bring More Wampum guys somebody is supposed to try and determine what the BLOCK side bolt up pattern is and also to try and confirm if that patter on that thing is same as any EARLIER things that got the Getrag 265 box...

It would be real groovy if there was a way to use just the bellhousing from that earlier 265 box cause it was a separate bellhousing, not integral with the gearcase..

That would make getting a gearbox with useful ratios into the car instead of this thing with granny low easier--and something more relaible and easier to rebuild and keep going...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
lelikmed
Alex Kuklov
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 RS

December 04, 2016 07:00PM
Whats is the spring rates that suspenders JVL makes front and rear?
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 05, 2016 12:34PM
I think Kern ended with like 280/200. We went with 275/225 on the DMS coilover but I'm getting some options sent to see how it goes. Also going to try a 300 rear on stock spring seat with no spring on the DMS coilover.
If going with a coil over, the motion ratio is like 1.05 so I think we will end up a bit over sprung at 225, will test and see how it feels. Easy enough to swap around during a nice cold testing day. Kern did a ton of testing and swapping springs and bump stops ti get to his setup in the rear.

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 12:35PM by NoCoast.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login