Ascona73
Bob Legere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

Re: Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class
August 25, 2016 01:51PM
john vanlandingham
Hey what's the lifter OD for these Oldpiles?

.842", same as SBC.

Opel is a 4-letter word...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10498579@N07/sets/
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 25, 2016 02:11PM
Ascona73
john vanlandingham
Hey what's the lifter OD for these Oldpiles?

.842", same as SBC.

Okie Dokie, I thought it was but after 27-28 years I don't trust memory...

Thanks.

(assembling Dave 5.7" rod bottom end today..just finished filing rings)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

August 25, 2016 07:30PM
DanielSL
In 4wd trucks, awd trucks, and atv's; wider is used for mud, narrower in sand.

I've never heard narrow for sand, but the people who want wider for mud want to float over top of deep mud rather than dig down and get stuck. They aren't concerned with accelerating, braking, or turning. You WILL be concerned with accelerating, braking, and turning, and for that you want grip and lots of it, not flotation. Boats float, cars grip. Good ones anyway.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

August 25, 2016 07:33PM
Ascona73
I know an open tread does better in the mud. I rallycrossed an Opel with Kumho tires (more old-school design with open tread) and it did much better than I expected against a lot of the modern assymetrical tighter tread designs.

The Kumhos are still considered to be the best loose/wet condition tire and there are some people who have hoarded the ones they bought from Tire Rack 10+ years ago.

I note that you can still buy them from Demon Tweeks, they just have no US distributorship. Maybe I should buy a set this winter... Those tires were really awesome for rallycross specific conditions. They had tons of grip and they wore well.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

August 26, 2016 12:10PM
Ascona;

Any chance you remember the exact type of Kumhos those were, that you were running? I can source through my European dealer network, and see if any of them can find them over there, new or used. Would be pretty easy for me to get them over here, once located.

Thanks.

The car is at least looking like a Rally Car now. Amazing what a liberal application of vinyl can start to do to it.
Attachments:
open | download - A Rally GTI - Rear.jpg (50.4 KB)
A Rally GTI - Rear.jpg
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

August 26, 2016 12:26PM
DanielSL
Ascona;

Any chance you remember the exact type of Kumhos those were, that you were running? I can source through my European dealer network, and see if any of them can find them over there, new or used. Would be pretty easy for me to get them over here, once located.

Still available in the UK for sure. It's the Kumho R700.

Opel is a 4-letter word...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10498579@N07/sets/
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 26, 2016 12:35PM
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I'll start doing the research. Should not be too hard to stuff a set of 4 into the next shipment I have coming in from one of vendors in Europe.
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 26, 2016 12:49PM
Starting to think more on the front suspension. A forum member has these Bilstein 36mm for sale in the "For Sale" section. (Pic.1). I am wondering if I can convert them by cutting the lower spindle mounts off from the Mk.2-Mk.3 fitment, and make them work with the Mk. 4 spindle? (Pic.2)???

I will be using Evo IX Pillowball mounts mounted in the Mk. 4 strut towers like the Mk. 4 hill climb car in Pic.3.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Attachments:
open | download - Bilstein 36mm.jpeg (41.7 KB)
Bilstein 36mm.jpeg
open | download - Converted Bilstein HD - Coilover.jpg (56.8 KB)
Converted Bilstein HD - Coilover.jpg
open | download - Cusco Evo IX pillowball.jpg (38.3 KB)
Cusco Evo IX pillowball.jpg
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 26, 2016 04:13PM
You simply do not listen...

To answer the question as posed:
No you cannot do it... YOU can't..

Next, what is your major malfunction, Pyle? What is so hard to grasp that what is needed for low speed grass-o-cross is suppleness to ease rapid weight transfer?

Further, as you clearly are really totally and completely non-aware of anything automotive related let me once again help you understand how THIS forum works..

You post a photo of some Pee Ess whatever and ask whaddy all y'all think..

The instant answer is "Meh, nice piccie"
And on the go giving it no further thought because you, the mouthy anmd angry and aggressive PUTZ that you are ADDS no further information..

You could not be troubled yourself to find what the travel, what the damping or range of damping is, what the spring rates and what the max travel before coil-bind in the photo is.. Nope just like a 11 year old you post "whaddya think a dis"

We think its too short, too stiff, too expensive and there will be coil bind but we also think that you are going to fire off more angry shit---then somebody else will post the same thing, you will NOT acknowledge that what you were told was right, you will not take responsibility for your offensive behaviour, you will not apologize for offending the general community and the person giving you the BEST advice consistently...

Go here. Find something under $60.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,2001,golf,2.0l+l4,1441448,suspension,strut,7584?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+%2F

That will DO better..

What YOU, Daniel L Carradini need to do is admit you a) know nothing so so opinions mean nothing and b) you have been talking to idiots who also know nothing, and their opinions mean nothing and more importantly c) That when you eventually enter a grass-o-cross the major challenge is NOT anything to do with the vehicle of its spec but EVERYTHING to do with the fact that you are a angry induividual with dangerous levels of ego and contempt for others and that you will violate the NUMBER ONE RULE which is "Calm down and don't fuck up"...

You're trying to hard and your mind is closed and a closed mind, when there is nothing inside, is a dangerous thing..

And since you are not particularly bright, before you write again telling me to "fuck off your thread" and reject all this really honest and sterling advice,

make note once again that this is a discussion forum..You post some stupid shit up, you are a lazy fuck and can't be troubled to click and clack for a minute or 2 to do some homework yourself, then expect appropriate responses...just like this one.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Professional Moderator

August 26, 2016 08:03PM
DanielSL
Starting to think more on the front suspension. A forum member has these Bilstein 36mm for sale in the "For Sale" section. (Pic.1). I am wondering if I can convert them by cutting the lower spindle mounts off from the Mk.2-Mk.3 fitment, and make them work with the Mk. 4 spindle? (Pic.2)???

I will be using Evo IX Pillowball mounts mounted in the Mk. 4 strut towers like the Mk. 4 hill climb car in Pic.3.

Any thoughts or ideas?

A lot of work to make them fit, not the right valving for grass-o-cross, springs look really short.
Well used stock stuff seems to work really well if you can actually drive a car.

You can use Subaru top mounts/pillow balls easy enough. William at TSS Fab even has a kit you can order for the mk2s. It might fit a mk4 with some added grinding.
alkun
Albert Kun
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 27, 2016 02:01PM
Good to see someone taking car prep seriously.

Daniel,
to achieve good results at the level you seem to be aiming towards, its critical to work beyond just car preparation; your physical and mental state need to be well honed. First and foremost, you want you body weight to be no more than135lbs. This can be a tough one to maintain, but you are really leaving seconds on the table for every pound. Its a little gnarly, but the real secret of top shelf motorsports is weekly enemas. Also in terms of cardiovascular training, you want to be able to hold you breath for the entire run. The best training for this is running (sprinting), uphill, with a weight vest, holding your breath. This may sound a bit extreme, but with a few months of training, a driver should be able to do this for 2-3 minutes, no problem. Obviously, the next step is heat training, I find the best way to do this is just bundle up and keep the heat cranked, all the time. A good competition driving-oriented physical trainer should be able to set you up with a routine for upper body strength and speed training.

But really, this is a mind game. Meditation is a given, but what most amateurs don't appreciate is the need to is develop your minds ability to focus intently at a moments notice. Ping-pong, curling or juggling are all great cross-training.

Again, its great to see so much dedication to the sport, hope to see you enjoy returns from allyour hard work!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2016 02:03PM by alkun.
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

August 27, 2016 03:51PM
alkun

Daniel,
to achieve good results at the level you seem to be aiming towards, its critical to work beyond just car preparation; your physical and mental state need to be well honed. First and foremost, you want you body weight to be no more than135lbs. This can be a tough one to maintain, but you are really leaving seconds on the table for every pound. Its a little gnarly, but the real secret of top shelf motorsports is weekly enemas. Also in terms of cardiovascular training, you want to be able to hold you breath for the entire run. The best training for this is running (sprinting), uphill, with a weight vest, holding your breath. This may sound a bit extreme, but with a few months of training, a driver should be able to do this for 2-3 minutes, no problem. Obviously, the next step is heat training, I find the best way to do this is just bundle up and keep the heat cranked, all the time. A good competition driving-oriented physical trainer should be able to set you up with a routine for upper body strength and speed training.

But really, this is a mind game. Meditation is a given, but what most amateurs don't appreciate is the need to is develop your minds ability to focus intently at a moments notice. Ping-pong, curling or juggling are all great cross-training.

Again, its great to see so much dedication to the sport, hope to see you enjoy returns from allyour hard work!

Underwater Basket Weaving utilizes not only breath training, but also focus training as well. It's how my father clinched the 1966 Pomona Speedway Stock Drag Race Championship.

Something to consider...
danster
Haggis Muncher
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

August 27, 2016 04:53PM
I found eating a load of weird mushrooms before competing seemed to help me a lot. They made me lose restrictive inhibitions and freed me up to drive a whole lot faster than normal as I tried to get away from all the scary monsters chasing me.
Of course there's always a compromise, but a few years locked in a psych ward is a small price to pay for the glory of winning a few trophies...

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 27, 2016 05:12PM
alkun

Daniel,

So well put!

THIS could be the goal to shoot for.Trancedance via Shaolin Table Tennis:

Such a shame to throw away such pearls before a'll y'all..

Or this:

I betcha not a one has troubled themselves to seriously study the Training regime embedded in the Masterwork of sports psychology in Stephen Chow's
Shaolin Soccer!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 29, 2016 06:00AM
Well, unfortunately from the above post; it seems that John thinks 36mm Bilsteins are P.S. garbage. Interesting, since he uses Bilsteins as the base of his own JVAB products.
Also it seems that adding the information of I wanted to modify them to fit my spindles, as well as adding exactly what upper strut adjustable camber plates I was going to use equals to adding no further information in his opinion. Again, why he has always been asked to stay off my threads.

For additional information, whatever strut I end up using; I will be using the HotBits front coilover springs in 50 Kg/Cm, with 20 Kg/Cm helper springs. The same springs they use on their full blown rally suspension. Just because the coilovers were out of my budget, doesn't mean the springs themselves were. These will work well in conjunction with the HotBits rear suspension I am installing.

Robert; Thanks for the info. I will look into TSS Fab, before I go and purchase the Cusco mounts.

Alkun; Already ahead of you. With over 30 years as a diver, along with boot camp, A school, and s.f. selection trials; I can hold my breath longer than a rallycross run. Although, even at my combat ready weight, I was well over 135 lbs. After the heart attacks, and the rehab stay after the motorcycle accident, I got up to 275. Back down to under 250, and will be under 220 before the first event. LMAO. Had a good laugh at that one.

Paul; If you think underwater basket weaving is good; let me suggest practicing on disarming explosives in the deep end of a pool, at night, in 3 finger mitts, with rusting up tools... or spending time with my 13 year old, that cannot hear the word "boobs" without turning red, and running back into his room.

Danster; My apologies, but I will be unable to try your suggestion. My job a lifetime ago was Counter-Narcotics. Besides a single bong hit due to peer pressure two lifetimes ago, I've never tried any of them. Much more enjoyable to assassinate traffickers, and dealers; then to become a user. LOL.

John; Your last post is the closest thing to useful information I have seen on one of my threads. You're getting better. Now, if you could just lose your ego, and realize your opinion is not the only one that matters. You could have just said, "No, those cannot be modified to your application. By the way, have you put in any thought to springs, etc...?"

I've done just as much research into the springs, as I have into the top mounts; sadly the Mk. 4 upper strut tower is a damn joke for trying to use for aftermarket performance. Luckily, the owner of the Mk. 4 hill climb car I found has done so much research and fanrication, that Iwas able to learn from his successes and failures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login