DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

Re: Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class
September 08, 2016 03:53PM
danster
There was mention earlier in the thread of Golf, TT and 5 and 6 speed boxes, so for clarity, what shafts and CVs have you got?

Presume they will be 108mm inners, but are they the six ball Rzeppa, or the Tripod type inner CVs?
Are they the nut or bolt type outer CVs?

108mm, tripod inner, bolt outer.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

September 08, 2016 06:27PM
john vanlandingham
danster
There was mention earlier in the thread of Golf, TT and 5 and 6 speed boxes, so for clarity, what shafts and CVs have you got?

Presume they will be 108mm inners, but are they the six ball Rzeppa, or the Tripod type inner CVs?

Don't encourage him.
Ask a question like that and it'll be another 100 posts about his plans and 20 photos of nothing of interest..
And you'll delay by another 6 months the guy ever daring to pull up to the line of

The Big RACE!!!!

In the thread: Massive overthinking.
Not in the thread: Guy with a 200hp front driver with axles that went for 20 thousand street miles with no grease and new boots were only installed after the car started shuddering horribly when changing lanes/taking bends after 2-3 hours at 75mph, still planning on driving it to Nationals this year and shooting for first place that isn't a Fiesta ST. Sorry, no build thread as such.

Car is fine. You fuck it, it just get expensive and still can't clear broad side of cone.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 08, 2016 08:56PM
DanielSL
danster

108mm, tripod inner, bolt outer.

this I gotta see.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

September 08, 2016 09:14PM
VW been doing this for a while, although Lobro or whoever VW sources the joints from (probably not Lobro) didn't really figure out how to do a tripod joint in that timeframe, they can get a RIGHTEOUS shudder under power after something goes all sideways in the inner and the axle starts moving asymmetrically.

Save time on the assembly line, make assembly faster, need fewer trained monkeys the easier it is to pop a car together. I think every engineering decision made at VW is geared towards faster assembly line.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 08, 2016 09:25PM
Pete
VW been doing this for a while, although Lobro or whoever VW sources the joints from (probably not Lobro) didn't really figure out how to do a tripod joint in that timeframe, they can get a RIGHTEOUS shudder under power after something goes all sideways in the inner and the axle starts moving asymmetrically.

Save time on the assembly line, make assembly faster, need fewer trained monkeys the easier it is to pop a car together. I think every engineering decision made at VW is geared towards faster assembly line.

This?

Tri bearing inner? on what years--what's a "a while"?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

September 09, 2016 09:55AM
David; I was able to speak with Steve Skirrow at CVJ. Thanks again for the information. I am going to send him one of the sets I have, and have CVJ do them. Then, I'll destroy my stock set, and my rebuilt set learning to drive this thing. When I put in his set, I will send the other set that was rebuilt local, to have CVJ do them as well.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

September 10, 2016 09:31AM
DanielSL
Danster; We should be safe then. I'm a Drambuie and Captain Morgan guy. And my team is almost exclusively Captain Morgan people as well. LOL.

This explains a lot ^^^^^^^

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
danster
Haggis Muncher
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

September 15, 2016 08:49AM
wvonkessler
DanielSL
Danster; We should be safe then. I'm a Drambuie and Captain Morgan guy. And my team is almost exclusively Captain Morgan people as well. LOL.

This explains a lot ^^^^^^^

6 days with no updates...

I guess the Drambuie slurper or rest of the Captain Morgan guzzlin team must either be hungover from the weekend or trying to work out how to take pics of inner CVs.

C'mon tae fuk Dan, shows us your greasy baws!

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2016 09:41AM by danster.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

September 19, 2016 06:09AM
Sorry. No real updates. Blew the rest of my wheel budget. So now to mount tires, and build a tire rack for the trailer. Damn directional tires make more necessary spares than I've ever imagined...

6 - 15" x 6 1/2", with 205/65/15 DMack Grippa (used).
6 - 15" x 6", with 185/70/15 DMack DMG2.
1 - 15" x 6", with used rally tire, on-board, (for emergency spare).
4 - 16" x 7", will mount with snow tires, if I can't sell them.
4 - 17" x 7 1/2", will mount with 17" Indy F for Tarmac, eventually.

Been rebuilding the engine itself, since its out of the car. New head gasket. ARP head bolts. Hoses and belts. Coil packs. Seals. Etc...
danster
Haggis Muncher
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

September 21, 2016 11:12AM
danster
C'mon tae fuk Dan, shows us your greasy baws!

Seems someone is too shy to shows us his baws...Although I suspect he has none... (at least in his inner cv joints).

That being the case I have had a search of t'internet and found these pics to show the inner cv differences. Tripod type on the left, conventional 6 ball type on right.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Attachments:
open | download - mk4 inner cv types.jpg (32.7 KB)
mk4 inner cv types.jpg
open | download - mk4 inner cv tripod1.JPG (39.5 KB)
mk4 inner cv tripod1.JPG
open | download - mk4 inner cv tripod2.JPG (41.2 KB)
mk4 inner cv tripod2.JPG
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

September 21, 2016 01:07PM
Never had one of them opened up. They develop a bad shudder and we throw new ones on, problem goes away, life goes on. Never was particularly curious enough to open one up and see what's what, have seen plenty of worn out tripod joints, no need to spend time to see another.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

September 21, 2016 01:44PM
As I had posted earlier, this is what I have. The only axle I had that was the old conventional style was the Raxle, that I have been told by this forum Not To Use. The 5 others are all Tripod Inners.
Attachments:
open | download - Motor Out.JPG (50 KB)
Motor Out.JPG
open | download - Stock Axles.JPG (18.5 KB)
Stock Axles.JPG
themxracer121
Adam Hardin
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Jetta

September 30, 2016 10:57AM
DanielSL
Sorry. No real updates. Blew the rest of my wheel budget. So now to mount tires, and build a tire rack for the trailer. Damn directional tires make more necessary spares than I've ever imagined...

6 - 15" x 6 1/2", with 205/65/15 DMack Grippa (used).
6 - 15" x 6", with 185/70/15 DMack DMG2.
1 - 15" x 6", with used rally tire, on-board, (for emergency spare).
4 - 16" x 7", will mount with snow tires, if I can't sell them.
4 - 17" x 7 1/2", will mount with 17" Indy F for Tarmac, eventually.

OK so admittedly I haven't read the WHOLE thread (I think it might be an impossibility at this point actually) but let me get this straight..

You have 4 different sizes of wheels, and 21 SPARE tires, for an MF'ing Rallycrosser? Included in that list an on-board, emergency spare. I really hope this is for some future Rally plans, and even then I would call it overthinking.

I've changed a total of 1 tire on a hot rally stage(100AW snowpocalypse 2015), and 1 tire on transit, after riding the flat for about 3 miles to the end of the stage so we wouldn't lose as much time (also 100AW 2015). I've never even considered bringing a spare with me onto a rallycross course, and after the one flat I got during a run, I had enough time to go to the truck, get the spare, change the tire, and didn't even lose my place in line for the next run. Maybe our local rallycrosses are different from yours.

"Simplify, then add lightness"

Adam Hardin #122 VW Jetta Mk3
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk2OLsNlm1z7gWe-Q-hTx8Q
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

September 30, 2016 11:09AM
Adam;

Admittedly, I like options... lol.

I bought the 17" wheels with the rolling chassis, and then found out from the members of this forum, that they were not a good option for my intended purpose. That's why the "eventually" is there. Once I go up to the FIRM, and go on there european designed rallycross track (mix of tarmac, dirt, and gravel); then I will have the 17's mounted up, and those wheels will be for that.

The 6 1/2" and the 6" sets of 15"'s, give me two width options for the RallyCross events here, until I figure out which works best for me, and my car. The 205 set, I was able to purchase with 12/32 tread, for 200 per set, so it was a good financial decision to get them, versus a second set of 185's.

The 16" wheels were sold to me as 15", and were originally supposed to be for the 205 tires. Got the wheels for cheap, so "IF" I do not sell them, they will get mounted up.

Honestly, I don't want to keep the 16" wheels, unless I cannot get rid of them. They will probably be kept simply for break-in, test runs, dyno runs, and to keep the car drivable, without putting miles on the DMacks.
DanielSL
Daniel
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

October 24, 2016 03:41PM
Getting ready to install the HotBits rear shocks/springs. Does anyone have a preferred option for the helper springs? Helpers on the bottom? Helpers on the top?

I know I have to put the reservoirs to the rear of the car, but HotBits did inform me that on the passenger side, I may need to swivel the reservoir forward, as on some years the reservoir interferes with the filler neck for the fuel tank.

I am going to install the lighter spring set for now, as that was the consensus of the board members. And I will keep the 30 Kg set for rally sprints where there may be a jump or two involved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login