Posted by DanielSL 
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

Re: Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class
November 15, 2016 01:37PM
Speaking of adding lightness... anyone know what the average on that size car would be to add stitch or seam welding? I have a 110v MillerMatic, and was planning on stitching/seaming where I can eventually. Not off the bat for RX, but over time.
Never have been good at welding or using the plasma cutter. Figured strong and not pretty is fine on a Rally car; so perfect time to get a lot of practice in.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

November 15, 2016 01:46PM
DanielSL
Speaking of adding lightness... anyone know what the average [MISSING] on that size car would be to add stitch or seam welding?

Average what? Added weight? Depends on how much you weld. Probably no more than 2 Kg if you do a decent amount of seams. Certainly not enough to warrant caring about.
MattP
Matt Pullen
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

November 15, 2016 01:46PM
DanielSL
Speaking of adding lightness... anyone know what the average on that size car would be to add stitch or seam welding? I have a 110v MillerMatic, and was planning on stitching/seaming where I can eventually. Not off the bat for RX, but over time.
Never have been good at welding or using the plasma cutter. Figured strong and not pretty is fine on a Rally car; so perfect time to get a lot of practice in.

about 5lbs at the very most

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

November 15, 2016 01:54PM
Thomas Kimsey
DanielSL
Speaking of adding lightness... anyone know what the average [MISSING] on that size car would be to add stitch or seam welding?

Average what? Added weight? Depends on how much you weld. Probably no more than 2 Kg if you do a decent amount of seams. Certainly not enough to warrant caring about.

Yes. Sorry. Added weight. LOL. Trying to type quickly at work between actual work, and mindlessness.

Thanks. Good to know that it won't be enough to matter. So going to a lighter battery in itself would make up for all seam or stitch welding I would add.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

November 15, 2016 02:05PM
DanielSL

Probably no real need. VW started laser welding the critical seams on their cars starting with the mk4 platform. No reason to spoil the nice rust protection to do something that gives no benefit.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

November 15, 2016 04:39PM
ElectroTech
DanielSL
Because you balance tires...

For weight distribution...

With my fat arse driving, I need a lot more weight in the rear. Might actually run with two spares in it, and a larger battery.
LOL, hilarious, do you have a writer?

Huge bucks for suspension and back and forth trying to find the "right" diff angle when for all practical purposes it will be locked 100% of the time anyway... waste lots of money on multiple sets of dried out old used tires instead of buying ONE set of NEW tires and maybe a pair of alternates for the front, since if you need alternates you aren't going fast enough for the rear to matter...

I dunno, fiction has to be plausible but reality only has to be true!

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

November 15, 2016 05:00PM
Pete
I dunno, fiction has to be plausible but reality only has to be true!

I dunno either Pete.

All these pages on how to put 250 turbo powarr horses to the dirt with a fwd vehicle...gear ratios, lsd ramp angles, tire width, diameter and tread pattern.
It's like an a whole new genre evolving. But is the world really ready for...

Scienz Friction! eye popping smiley

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

November 16, 2016 10:01AM
Pete; Simple math. Everyone keeps telling me that I don't need this, and I don't need that for RallyCross. One set of new DMacks is going to set me back $1,100.oo, not including shipping.

It's only RX, right? Don't need new rally tires, right?

All the tires I purchased used are at least 1/2 tread, and most of them are 75% or better. 7 - 15" Michelins for $120. 5 - 16" Mud grooved Michelins for $100. 4 - 15" DMacks with 12/32" for $200. Two spares for another $40.

So for less than $500, I have two complete sets of gravel tires with spares, a set of mud tires with a spare, and two extra directional gravel spares, and a junker spare for whatever.

I would barely be able to get a set of new winter tires (standard RX use), for that price.

Probably the best money I have spent on the whole project so far, minus the initial investment of $250.oo for the rolling chassis, with clean title.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

November 16, 2016 01:04PM
DanielSL
Probably the best money I have spent on the whole project so far, minus the initial investment of $250.oo for the rolling chassis, with clean title.

Au Contraire, the best money you could have spent was flying my ass over to Florida to get this feckin car running before we all grow old and die prior to it turning a wheel and raising a single molecule of stoor from the dirt!

It would be mutually beneficial too, as I'd be living in an area above freezing and I'd also eat and drink you out of house and home whilst hurling the odd insult at you.
You could try to chase me, but I'm a jinky wee fecker so you'd lose some weight trying catch me which would result in an increased powarr to weight ratio of the Carradini / Golf Unit.
Surely that's a win win for both of us?

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

November 16, 2016 01:45PM
Danny; prep your passport, and a case or two of Glenlivet. I'll be in touch. smileys with beer
paperpaper
Dan Downey
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

November 16, 2016 02:33PM
DanielSL
Pete; Simple math. Everyone keeps telling me that I don't need this, and I don't need that for RallyCross. One set of new DMacks is going to set me back $1,100.oo, not including shipping.

All the tires I purchased used are at least 1/2 tread, and most of them are 75% or better. 7 - 15" Michelins for $120. 5 - 16" Mud grooved Michelins for $100. 4 - 15" DMacks with 12/32" for $200. Two spares for another $40.

So for less than $500, I have two complete sets of gravel tires with spares, a set of mud tires with a spare, and two extra directional gravel spares, and a junker spare for whatever.

I would barely be able to get a set of new winter tires (standard RX use), for that price.

Yeah so you are ready to go for less than 1500. Why are you not racing yet?
paperpaper
Dan Downey
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
e30

November 16, 2016 02:34PM
DanielSL
Danny, to be fair, I don't "stay" in Florida. This is merely where I hang my hat and work.

There's the family home in N.H., the log cabin in N.H., the ski cabin in Vermont, the house on Big Hero Island in Lake Champlain, the summer home on Mt. Desert Island in Maine, the family home in Boston, the vacation estate in Bridgehampton on Long Island, the house here in Florida, the hunting property in Florida, the sailboat here, the Yacht in Fort Lauderdale, and the property on Vanua Levu, Fiji. Jesus, I just read that... I need to consolidate.

Just this summer and September; I've been in Vermont, Maine, N.H. twice, Boston, and New Jersey twice. Took the sailboat out for a long weekend, and spent a week on the Yacht. Combine that with other hobbies, interests, family obligations; and oh yeah, work, to pay for it all... That doesn't leave much free time.

For a thread that started off as a fun hobby, with bonding with my step-sons as its goal. One which began with a post that stated quote; "This will be a slow build, piece by piece, as budget allows.", it amazed me what you guys expect sometimes.

It will get done as I feel it should, with its importance very low on my list. The only thing that may make things move a little more quickly is this last weekend I narced myself out with my wife, and she now knows about it. Which means no more hiding parts and pieces, and not having to sneak around 30 minutes here, or an hour there to work on it.

so you have the small dick measuring contest win then.
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

November 16, 2016 03:48PM
Easily...
DexterVW
David Baker
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
95 GTI TDI

November 16, 2016 04:42PM
This thread will end up being sighted on Wikipedia one day...
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

November 16, 2016 11:01PM
DanielSL

And I bought a complete set of Black Rockets for a tiny bit over $600 shipped to my door. Brand new tires, not dried out old junk. (And, being competiton tires, unless they are stored EXTREMELY carefully, the rubber will be dried out old junk after only one or two years. Michelin hasn't made rally tires in how many years now? A decade maybe?)

I gave two of my BRs a Viking Funeral this year because they were starting to crack badly. It was glorious. Bought two more, can really feel the difference in compound between the 2014 tires and the 2016s. Really want to get at least one pair of Indy Sports as alternates but I have a feeling that their life would be measured in mm of tread lost per run. That hurts extra because, as someone from a mountain biking background, it's not the tread depth that matters as much as the tread edges, once the blocks start to get rounded off the grip goes away and you rotate the tires or throw them out. Or sell them to someone for $20-30 a pop.

Someone, on another forum, pointed out that buying new tires was for the pointy-end guys and everyone else makes do with used tires. I counterpointed that maybe the pointy-end guys are on the pointy end because they aren't driving on crappy old tires that are three sizes too large.

I got LOTS faster when I finally bought new tires. Worth every penny. I also started breaking a lot more drivetrain parts, kind of proof that I was finally getting good grip.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2016 11:08PM by Pete.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login