Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

I think I'm about to buy a $300 240 to send to Valhalla.

McAdams Christopher
McAdams Christopher
Senior Moderator

I think I'm about to buy a $300 240 to send to Valhalla.
May 11, 2016 12:54AM
It was one of the first 240's I ever worked on when I first got a job at my local independent euro car shop. Black late 80's 240 sedan with like metal band stickers and such all over it, clearly subject to abuse both profane and profuse in ordinary circumstances as a daily driver and obviously well functioning in all the ways that mattered. At the time I was proud to change the oil and try to improve the condition of the ever failing taillights

It's been a while since I've seen that particular 240, but unbeknownst to me until just recently I'd also done a motor swap on another 240 2 or 3 years ago (which netted me a donor 5 speed for my 242 and was because of that an awesome moment in my life) where the owner had brought in their car with a "When I pour coolant in it comes right out on the ground what's going on?" Wasn't a hose or anything, just a hole in the side of the block. She brought that car in, a gold 1990 240 sedan just in case anybody cares, the other day for a tail light an such and turns out it's the same owner as that older black car and what do you know she wants to sell it for nothing and it runs and drives and all that good stuff. She said she'd been trying to sell it a year and figured it might make a good car for motorsports purposes. It was the first car she ever bought, my first car was a 240 so maybe it'll work out. The sale of the car I mean winking smiley

Anyway all of this is pretty meaningless to yall but I've got a cool serendipitous story for myself if nobody else to go along with my first race car, provided it works out... I know that perhaps it's bad luck to call something before it actually happens but I think it'll happen I just haven't been out to see the car yet but the point is my first car was a 240 that I sold to buy a different 240 which needed another newer 240 stripped of parts to start rolling...which was frustrating because the whole reason I sold my first 240 was because I wanted a manual transmission that I still didn't have because I really liked driving a 240 and I really liked driving a manual transmission but I hadn't really gotten to do that in one. Hopefully I'll be able to buy a 240 to make into a rally car from the same person who unknowingly gifted me with the manual transmission for my 240 project car. Having once already contributed to my pursuit of the love of driving, a second more directly motorsports oriented occurrence seems bound to happen and if it does well how could I possibly hope for a car more suited for the role.

I think my odds of maintaining a 240 are higher than that of any other car, and given that I like and feel comfortable in the car it seems a natural leap to want that to be my first race car. It would be my first race car, I've never built a race car before...hell looking at my 242 you'd say I've never built a car either...so there is going to be a lot of learning involved here, but I'm not an apprentice at the shop any more and I'm confident in my ability to do a lot of what needs doing myself. I've got no motorsports experience to speak of, but my dad got to race for a year or two and spent a lot of time doing Porsche club events and according to his account doing pretty well and well he did his best to bring me up driving with good habits.

All I'm really worried about is that I can't weld for shit on account of I haven't spent shit time welding. I don't even have an excuse there because I've got a cheap welder that I've hardly used..and I've got an uncle who works for the local giant turbine generator assembly plant and they're kinda picky about their welds and they're cool with his so I imagine he can show me a thing or two one day but for some reason I haven't gotten that happening yet.

Anyway this is a great forum, really everything I need to be told right now has already been written out and I could probably get to my first race without ever saying a word to any of you but why do that when the alternative is so much more entertaining? Plus I'm banking on some free advice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 01:43AM by McAdams Christopher.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: I think I'm about to buy a $300 240 to send to Valhalla.
May 11, 2016 08:11AM
Well hell, get started. You still living at home? You working as a mechanic? If yes to both, OK..means you have some disposable income..The hardest part is just gettin' "too big eyes" and really foo-foo shit like worrying (even 1 sec) about paint job and "graphics" and gross blunders in strategic thinking and gross blunders in tactical thinking..

I can tell you right now almost all you really need to know about welding.. The cleaner the material, the easier the welding..
Get 2 Four-inch angle grinders: 1 with a rubber disc and a BOX of sanding discs, the other get a "knotted wire cup brush" and then a thing large dia wire brush.
Clean..clean clean. Clean it as clean as the Revere Ware in yo mommas kitchen.
Clean it till ya barf.
Wipe that up and clean some more.
Get 030 wire,
Practice.

Practice is the key to happiness in each aspect of the sort or life in general..

Keep your eye on the prize.

And the prize is blasting down some gravel road full throttle with your head thrown back laughing maniacally.

get on it. time's awastin'
Piccies or it....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
McAdams Christopher
McAdams Christopher
Senior Moderator

July 12, 2016 12:21AM
I did get the car, and consider it of special note that I bought it on the 240th 4th of July. Seems as good a day as any to buy a 240...nevermind it's not an American car, the vikings were here first anyway.

Drove it home though it was only running on 3, the #4 cylinder isn't making compression for some reason or another but there are motors and heads and all of that to be had.

If you look close you can see a two door in the picture too...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 09, 2016 02:05AM
McAdams Christopher
I did get the car, and consider it of special note that I bought it on the 240th 4th of July. Seems as good a day as any to buy a 240...nevermind it's not an American car, the vikings were here first anyway.

Drove it home though it was only running on 3, the #4 cylinder isn't making compression for some reason or another but there are motors and heads and all of that to be had.

If you look close you can see a two door in the picture too...

What's the latest sNooze on this project? Summer is waning.. Any progress?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
mekilljoydammit
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

November 03, 2016 08:43AM
All right, not my thread, but bumping for the same basic thought and hell, I may just be tirekicking while at work anyway.

I'm having the urge to get a second car to act as a backup, thing to practice bodywork, major unibody surgery and piston engine building on, have fun driving around backroads, maybe grassocross and so on. Because you all are a corrupting influence I'm thinking Volvo 240, which are available around here if I'm willing to accept semi-shitty condition. Seeing as how one of the objectives is practicing bodywork, that doesn't bother me so much.

Was sorta thinking on the order of a non-caged budget-er Group 2 build - 4-linked Toyletta axle (shit, I've got a Supra LSD kicking around) longish travel 40mm Billies, brakes, Duratec swap, and I have some front suspension ideas to get me into wear parts that are more common around here than Vulva bits but might turn out to be a dumb idea. And no, I don't need to do any of this for a street car, but hell, building crap is fun to me.

So, am I crazy? Better platforms, don't bother, bacon?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login