Construction Zone
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Audi S1 Quattro rally light set-up (Fabrication ideas?)

Posted by DanielSL 
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

Audi S1 Quattro rally light set-up (Fabrication ideas?)
May 16, 2016 12:11PM
Does anyone have the original schematics for the brackets which were used on the Audi S1 quattros in Gruppe B?

My original dream car was the Gruppe B, S1 of Michelle Mouton. I would like to, for fun, build the triangle light set-up used on those cars for my Mk. 4 GTi RallyCross project.

I am planning on using much smaller diameter lights, which would look in proportion with the Low beams which came stock. I have found both PIAA and Hella lights which would have the correct look.

I know I could make individual brackets, and just install them in a way to give the triangular appearance, but I would like to do it the way it was done originally if at all possible.

Thanks.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Senior Moderator

Re: Audi S1 Quattro rally light set-up (Fabrication ideas?)
May 16, 2016 12:19PM
Look at the restoration pictures of the Group 4 car at www.mat.fi or look at the Group 4 car that James Bufkin has detailed on his website. The B stuff is really similar to if not the same as the Group 4 stuff.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

May 16, 2016 12:30PM
Do you do any Rallycross at night? If not don't bother adding them, just more to go wrong. If you do then I wouldn't waste the time trying to replicate a part that was made by Audi's works team to survive just about everything. Just make something simple like this. Also you may want to check your local laws about light legality as well as your local rallycross rules. Here in NH you are only allowed two extra lights and they must be DOT legal (Bosch 175s and 225s are not DOT rated). Also if you are interested in doing TSD rallys there may be a limit on the number of lights you can run.
Attachments:
open | download - audi-ur-quattro.jpeg (45.6 KB)
audi-ur-quattro.jpeg
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

May 16, 2016 01:21PM
Pete;

Thanks for the link to the MAT site. Or maybe, not thanks... I can see way too many ideas brewing from perusing so many pictures of pure craftsmanship.

Thomas;

Probably will go with something like you have pictured. Thanks for that. In NH, even when I was doing TSD and Road rallies, I only used one set of Hella Fogs, and one set of Hella Driving lights on my Rabbits. But that was 25 years + ago.

Here in Florida, where the rednecks and uneducated run amuck unregulated, we don't have any regulations to worry about, as long as you are not driving around on public roads, with your additional lighting on.

My off road Disco II has over 1 million candlepower on it, between the bull bar, roof rack, side work lights, and rear work light. But if I take off the roof rack for daily driving, and don't keep it in off-road spec, it only has two large pencil beams on the bull bar. Everything else is removable with Deutsch plugs.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

May 19, 2016 03:36PM
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.679214395446711.1073741844.104976889537134&type=3

Here's all the build pics of Latvala's quattro. 300 something of them. Cool stuff.
DanielSL
Daniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

May 19, 2016 03:45PM
Thanks, A.J..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login