Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: The oaf-ish-ul "why ecoboost goes boom" thread
December 12, 2016 07:25PM
Robert Culbertson
But John, overkill is so much more fun!

So is spending other people's money.
Again and again and again.

And just gotta be a laugh a minute loading the car up after another DNF.

So much more fun.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

December 13, 2016 12:23AM
john vanlandingham
Robert Culbertson
But John, overkill is so much more fun!

So is spending other people's money.
Again and again and again.

And just gotta be a laugh a minute loading the car up after another DNF.

So much more fun.

I don't spend their money, they do.
We always have fun, even when it all starts going downhill. If you're not having fun in the bad times, what's going to get you back to the good times?
MarkHille
Mark Hille
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
I have two crap boxes

December 13, 2016 08:19AM
Pete

That is for a nonturbo engine. And that is the PRIMARY enrichment, there are additional ones that come in to play as necessary!

"Why so rich?" Because you want to tune to run at WOT more or less forever after all of the fluids are fully heat saturated. Leaner for more power is great if you're on a dragstrip. That mentality seems to be ultra-prevalent in the Audi world, people like to see how lean they can run the engines under heavy boost. It's great that you got five more horsepower, but what is that doing to your EGTs especially when knock retard starts pulling all the timing out.

The factory turbo engines I've paid attention to run much richer than a 1.25 equivalence ratio when under heavy boost.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/2999-2015-Ford-Mustang-Ecoboost-data-from-COBB

According to cobb the afr seems around the 11-12. One part of the article said it went down as low as 9.9 (lets call it 10) under "overtemp conditions" (what ever that is). I think those numbers are reasonable. I'm not enough of a turner to use EQ. If going to 10:1 from 11.5 under high heat saves your motor that's fine with me....didn't save this motor forever though.....

I add fuel when things get hot. I don't remember how much off hand. Not more than 10:1. I don't need a dyno to tell me I'm losing power at 10:1 under normal driving conditions though.

I like driving more than sitting on the side of the road so I tend to back off if I see coolant temps over 220 and oil temps over 250.....that's why I stress an efficient oil cooler. It has been a while since I've had to back off from high temps during a stage. If you need to drive through it.....well then you need to figure out your cost to power ratio because this isn't going to be the last motor that gets replaced. I think most people running XRATTYs aren't going to be looking for as high of a cost to power ratio is all. That is the only reason I'm posting. So others can learn from our mistakes and to learn myself something too. I do hope the next motor lasts longer. thumbs up smiley
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

December 13, 2016 11:14AM
Soot is definitely coming out of the exhaust on hard launches and at the rev limiter. The engine doesn't burn any oil. Unless there's holes in the pistons, then it pukes oil everywhere, but oddly doesn't burn that much.

Going back to the stock ECU would be nice, except the stock ECU won't work... hence the fancy brain from Ford performance. I'll be sending the new ECU off here in a few days, maybe I can get them to lower the peak boost back to stock. Oh the joys of electronic boost controllers.

We really need to try an access port tuner to change the tune.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions everyone!
MarkHille
Mark Hille
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
I have two crap boxes

December 14, 2016 06:25AM
Robert Culbertson

We really need to try an access port tuner to change the tune.

There's the spirit! The ability to see this might be worth it alone:http://stratifiedauto.com/blog/understanding-knock-and-ignition-corrections-in-your-high-performance-ecoboost-engine/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login