MattP
Matt Pullen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

Re: Yet another Xr4Ti
April 06, 2017 09:47AM
Robert Culbertson
Heated windscreens are dope. Gotta love ITO coatings... at least that's what I'm assuming they use.

Not ITO, these are an ultra fine wire embedded in the laminate. Usually a 2 circuit design, one for the each side of the screen, so you can have both on before the car gets warm then turn off the co-driver side during a stage or if you are circuit racing where you don't really need that side demisted, also it saves a bit of power from the battery.

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Senior Moderator

April 06, 2017 11:30AM
john vanlandingham
Matt ...have a friend

Well, I was with you up until you suggested Matt has friends spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Cheers Matt smileys with beer

MattP
But then again nobody bothered to inquire as to the reason why...hell even a laugh at my expense is expected.

On second thought, this clearly can't be Matt, cause I actually enjoyed reading that. If only his emails were written so clearly winking smiley

I for one am happy to see the direction this build is going, simple, minimal fab work. I suppose "seeing" is a relative term as there are no fawking pictures, but I digress tongue sticking out smiley
MattP
Matt Pullen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

April 13, 2017 02:42PM
Got to love tax refund time!!!!!

A nice multi-point T45 cage has been ordered, yes a little more money but..... full certification available, little lighter and smaller tube means more space for a fuller figured fella like myself. And given that to have a CDS cage installed here in Alberta is costing approx. $6000 at the moment, a $2500 T45 one is a valid option.

The ECU was waiting for me to decide if I should keep the injectors batch firing as per Ford or to move to sequential firing. But seeing that Google is my friend, the cost v benefits of it means that in the continued vein of simplicity I'm going to stay with the batch fire setup. I just have to find a 34 mm restricter for the T3, as purposefully making the car a shade over 2900lbs just to not have one is a little pointless.

The same for the suspension having talked with people who have the same suspension have said that the initial set it up from the factory has worked so well that they have not had to alter any settings since putting it on the car. They have the 3 way version but the single way can be set to the same settings, again simple.

As for the diff I am waiting for the car to go to the paint-shop to rip out the rear end and install the Eaton slipper.

Sorry AEV no pictures just yet, next time you are in Cowtown stop by and have a look....

Yes, it's a Ranger.
deaner
Dane Aura
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

April 13, 2017 09:38PM
Following this! I just committed to a pair of Xr4Ts... one of which is gonna get prepped. Any more details on the suspension bits you're going with?
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

July 07, 2017 12:19PM
MattP
... I just have to find a 34 mm restricter for the T3, as purposefully making the car a shade over 2900lbs just to not have one is a little pointless.

No restrictor required for 2WD, just FYI.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Elite Moderator

July 07, 2017 01:31PM
dunhamr1
MattP
... I just have to find a 34 mm restricter for the T3, as purposefully making the car a shade over 2900lbs just to not have one is a little pointless.

Canaduuhhhhhh!
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Senior Moderator

July 07, 2017 02:10PM
dunhamr1
MattP

Not like he is the RallyWest prez or anything and would sort of know the rules... he did get the size wrong though :p

Forced Induction Engines:
 Restricted Induction as per 12.6.3 Up to 2000cc: No Minimum Vehicle Weight
 Restricted Induction as per 12.6.3 2001cc to 2500cc: Vehicle Minimum Weight 1136 kg (2500lbs).
 Forced induction on engines over 2500cc not permitted
 Un-Restricted Induction Up to 2500cc: Vehicle Minimum Weight 1318kg (2900lbs). Rotary Engines:

12.6.3 Turbocharger/Supercharger Restrictions. Restricted forced induction engines must have an air inlet orifice of 32mm diameter or less. If the forced induction is equipped with a larger inlet, the use of a restrictor is required. It must have a minimum width (parallel to the direction of the airflow) of three (3) mm and be placed within 50 mm of the compressor blades.

Matt, XR4Ti curb weight is 2920lbs... honestly, to get around the fuckery that is tuning with a restrictor (I don't know the options available for a XR4Ti that are cheap, but certainly stabbing a restrictor on top of a stock tune would not be very fun), why are you trying to make it lighter?

Yes, lighter equals better I get that, but rallying is better than anything else. I know you have the truck, but still... I suppose if you want the XR4Ti to be Dave Clark levels of awesome, it makes sense. Just seems like getting that big ol' girl down to 2500lbs may not be easily achievable when running the restrictor, kind of defeating the point of running one.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2017 02:14PM by dreamsofjvl.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

July 07, 2017 02:19PM
Robert Culbertson
dunhamr1
MattP

Canaduuhhhhhh!

Oh Canada...!

*sits down quietly*
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Elite Moderator

July 07, 2017 03:27PM
dunhamr1
Oh Canada...!

*sits down quietly*

MattP
Matt Pullen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

Re: ZFTG XR4ti build
July 08, 2017 01:12AM
dreamsofjvl
dunhamr1
MattP

Not like he is the RallyWest prez or anything and would sort of know the rules... he did get the size wrong though :p

Forced Induction Engines:
 Restricted Induction as per 12.6.3 Up to 2000cc: No Minimum Vehicle Weight
 Restricted Induction as per 12.6.3 2001cc to 2500cc: Vehicle Minimum Weight 1136 kg (2500lbs).
 Forced induction on engines over 2500cc not permitted
 Un-Restricted Induction Up to 2500cc: Vehicle Minimum Weight 1318kg (2900lbs). Rotary Engines:

12.6.3 Turbocharger/Supercharger Restrictions. Restricted forced induction engines must have an air inlet orifice of 32mm diameter or less. If the forced induction is equipped with a larger inlet, the use of a restrictor is required. It must have a minimum width (parallel to the direction of the airflow) of three (3) mm and be placed within 50 mm of the compressor blades.

Matt, XR4Ti curb weight is 2920lbs... honestly, to get around the fuckery that is tuning with a restrictor (I don't know the options available for a XR4Ti that are cheap, but certainly stabbing a restrictor on top of a stock tune would not be very fun), why are you trying to make it lighter?

Yes, lighter equals better I get that, but rallying is better than anything else. I know you have the truck, but still... I suppose if you want the XR4Ti to be Dave Clark levels of awesome, it makes sense. Just seems like getting that big ol' girl down to 2500lbs may not be easily achievable when running the restrictor, kind of defeating the point of running one.

TBH I don't really need you to tell me how to build my car, I understand that I got the two sizes of restrictor mixed up. I am human after all. I'm pretty sure you have got your facts wrong on more than one occasion.
Who mentioned anything about a stock tune, a Megasquirt 3 is most definitely not containing a stock tune. I am aiming for about 220-250hp which is way plenty for a RWD car. It won't be to Dave Clark anything, it again is my build to my specs and requirements just like the truck. As I have told everyone I am building this because I can and because I want to. There are things in it and on it that the "local wisdom" has deemed unnecessary or unwarranted. So what, not their car or build. Too many have been commenting that they wouldn't do what I am doing, that is fantastic for them, again my build not theirs. Whether it succeeds or fails is down to me and what I am doing with it. This should be called my "ZFTG build"
The lightest the works Sierra in racing trim was 1040kgs / 2248# and the 1987 Xr4Ti DTM car was 1340kg /2948# so anywhere close to that is golden. At the min weight of 2900# and 220 hp it will be 760# lighter and 85hp better off than the Ranger, oh and about 15" closer to the ground...
Press on.....

Yes, it's a Ranger.
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Senior Moderator

Re: ZFTG XR4ti build
July 08, 2017 12:50PM
Matt, was bugging Ryan not you about the restrictor. The sizes have changed so much over the years I didn't know either.

Also not telling you how to build your car, just chatting about it. Curious to understand your thinking behind whether to run a restrictor or not. You know, I am able to have a decent conversation sometimes :p
MattP
Matt Pullen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

September 20, 2017 04:14PM
So I had a bit of a win win day yesterday.
I was told of an ad on Kijiji that had an XR4Ti for sale with spares for the princely sum of $350.
Well I met up with the seller, as I only had $20's on me I gave him the option of $340 or $360 the lad opted for $340.
Sweet I thought $10 up already.
"Hold on" he said "you'll want these bits as well", hands over a Cosworth rad/intercooler combo one of those heavy ones not the cheap Chinese knock offs, SCORE....
"Wait" I heard again and he promptly hands over a Stinger manifold and 38 mm BOV, never been used, never even been fitted to a car..
Trying to hide the inner kid in a candy store I place them in the truck ready to go load the car up.
"Do you want to know about the new Turbo?" chirped up the lad.... Wait, new what? "Yeah it has a T3/T4 ball bearing Hybrid I put on it and a new clutch in a box inside the shed if you want that as well. Oh and by the way the XR is a 2 owner 151k km car"
Result.......

Yes, it's a Ranger.
DanielSL
Daniel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2005 VW Mk. 4 Golf GTI 1.8T

September 20, 2017 08:56PM
I would call that beyond a win. That Cossie Cooler is worth more than the entire cost of entry. Great find. Congratulations.
MarkHille
Mark Hille
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
I have two crap boxes

September 21, 2017 05:34AM
What make is the turbo? What are the numbers on it? Probably stage 3, 50 trim? What a/r? Stock wastegate? Hopefully he wasn't a nincompoop and got the right one. If it isn't Chinese it was more than $1000 new....
deaner
Dane Aura
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

November 05, 2017 11:45AM
Nice find!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login