Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: Chevy T5 Behind Ford 2.3L - How?
June 29, 2017 01:07PM
deaner
dunhamr1
Gravity Fed
can you get the GM box for the gears and put them into the Ford casing?

That is one possible method, just trying to research if there's anything that can be done to avoid disassembly/re-assembly. Either hair-raising learning process for me, or $$$ to have a shop do it.

That's what I would do and plan on doing unless I can get a scorching deal on a new T5z. I've only been into a couple of these so far and am not well versed, but they really aren't that complicated to take apart. The manual are put there and are pretty good. You just need a press.

It seems pretty straightforward, many different sources have said anyone with decent mechanical skills can rebuild one. Not that watching videos makes one an expert but having watched someone take one apart and rebuild it, it's more dependent on the knowledge of the parts and what not to forget, rather than just being complex (don't ever ask me to rebuild an automatic transmission).
Please Login or Register to post a reply
deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 29, 2017 01:08PM
Robert Culbertson
deaner

Both sales/tech guys here are saying they aren't real OE parts and at that price are reproduction. I haven't been here that long to see first hand but we've had nothing but problems with repro gears according to the guys that know more than I do.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of aftermarket gears with a turbo 4. Big heavy v8 and sustained torque, that might cause some concern. A lot of the "issues" with t5s stems from people drag racing with 400+hp V8s.
As far as a new T5z, they are very crudely assembled. The one I just dove into had rust on the bearing surface and ALL the bearings were low/loose on preload. It was also FILTHY inside. I have no idea how you get that much dirt into a new trans.

You can easily swap gear sets if they are both WC. Get the peelable shims from 5speeds.com

It's not just strength, it's actually tolerances and the design. I'm out on lunch but will get some more particulars. I would hope by now it'd be common knowledge that T5s cant be launched on sticky tires haha. We still get calls from people claiming "their friend" puts over 500ftlbs in front of their T5 at the track every weekend....

That's pretty crazy about that trans you got. Was it straight from Tremec? I haven't seen or heard of new boxes being dirty like that but recently we've had a couple of TKOs just in the last week that had TOO much preload. More concerning are the pair of TKOs we found last week that had a slider that wasn't cut deep enough. The shift fork would bind causing a massive amount of drag. Can you say warrenty claim?
deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 29, 2017 01:10PM
dunhamr1
deaner
What all parts do you have now and when do you plan on wanting to get this done? I work at Modern Driveline and am going to be building this same trans with parts around the shop in a couple of months. I MAY be able to build a couple of them. If youve already got the GM trans, I may be able to supply a used Ford case and some other bits for pretty reasonably priced.

Hey look, you guys sell exactly the opposite adapter plate! http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/GM-bell-to-Ford-T-5-Adapter-plate-7p222.htm

Any way you could ask around and see if it's possible to go GM T5 to Ford Bellhousing?

Just flip it around! smiling smiley
I can ask again. All kind of comes down to market.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 29, 2017 01:23PM
Gravity Fed
you can just get an entire new Ford Performance box for 1700....

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-7003-z

If I had 1700 to throw around sure. The point here is to not spend stupid money and get something to work.

I find it hard to spend money on things I've gotten for cheap, contrary to the fact that I have more money because I got it cheaper.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 29, 2017 01:25PM
deaner
Just flip it around! smiling smiley
I can ask again. All kind of comes down to market.

Haha, would almost work!
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Infallible Moderator

June 29, 2017 01:26PM
Here's a cheap ($140) dual pattern t5 adapter plate that's commonly used on volvos. You would need to double check input shaft lengths though.
From a quick search using the googler, it appears the GM WC v8 T5 is shorter than the ford one.

https://www.kaplhenke.com/collections/240/products/240-dual-pattern-ford-t5-tko-adapter-plate
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 29, 2017 01:31PM
Robert Culbertson
Here's a cheap ($140) dual pattern t5 adapter plate that's commonly used on volvos. You would need to double check input shaft lengths though.
From a quick search using the googler, it appears the GM WC v8 T5 is shorter than the ford one.

https://www.kaplhenke.com/collections/240/products/240-dual-pattern-ford-t5-tko-adapter-plate

TKO is a different trans, no? What is the pattern on a Volvo bellhousing?
Robert Culbertson
Infallible Moderator

June 29, 2017 01:31PM
deaner
It's not just strength, it's actually tolerances and the design. I'm out on lunch but will get some more particulars. I would hope by now it'd be common knowledge that T5s cant be launched on sticky tires haha. We still get calls from people claiming "their friend" puts over 500ftlbs in front of their T5 at the track every weekend....

That's pretty crazy about that trans you got. Was it straight from Tremec? I haven't seen or heard of new boxes being dirty like that but recently we've had a couple of TKOs just in the last week that had TOO much preload. More concerning are the pair of TKOs we found last week that had a slider that wasn't cut deep enough. The shift fork would bind causing a massive amount of drag. Can you say warrenty claim?

The box was ordered from Summit, so who knows where it came from. For sure let me know what you find in regard to the tolerance of the gears and bearing surfaces. I have a few that need new gearsets and shift collar/slider, and I didn't want to spend a ton of money on genuine Tremec gears.
When you say too much preload, how much you talking here? I've been under the assumption that some preload is better than non. The counter gear had about zero, and the input shaft actually had a few thou of in/out play.
Robert Culbertson
Infallible Moderator

June 29, 2017 01:32PM
dunhamr1

TKO and GM T5 are the same bolt pattern. I think.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 29, 2017 01:34PM
Robert Culbertson
dunhamr1

TKO and GM T5 are the same bolt pattern. I think.

Seems like they are the same, but the T5 mounts 17 degrees rotated, where the TKO is straight according to quick Google-fu
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 29, 2017 01:38PM
Robert Culbertson
deaner

Both sales/tech guys here are saying they aren't real OE parts and at that price are reproduction. I haven't been here that long to see first hand but we've had nothing but problems with repro gears according to the guys that know more than I do.

I wouldn't worry about the strength of aftermarket gears with a turbo 4. Big heavy v8 and sustained torque, that might cause some concern. A lot of the "issues" with t5s stems from people drag racing with 400+hp V8s.
As far as a new T5z, they are very crudely assembled. The one I just dove into had rust on the bearing surface and ALL the bearings were low/loose on preload. It was also FILTHY inside. I have no idea how you get that much dirt into a new trans.

You can easily swap gear sets if they are both WC. Get the peelable shims from 5speeds.com

If one was swapping the gear sets, and everything seemed ok, would it be worth doing a rebuild at the same time, or just straight swapping?
Robert Culbertson
Infallible Moderator

June 29, 2017 01:40PM
Yep, and lucky for you that adapter I linked to will mount a trans straight up or over at 17deg. Because volvo peeps will mount the motors vertical for older cars or to clear bigger turbos with stock-ish manifolds. Stock 240 Volvos have the engine sitting at a 17deg angle.

Also, the trans is mounted at an angle due to the bell housing. The transmission mounts are not rotated. So there shouldn't be an issues except in shifter placement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 01:41PM by Robert Culbertson.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

June 29, 2017 01:42PM
i have this issue with my Mazda Rx4 bellhousing mated to a T5. transmission is tilted.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 29, 2017 01:45PM
dunhamr1
Robert Culbertson
deaner

If one was swapping the gear sets, and everything seemed ok, would it be worth doing a rebuild at the same time, or just straight swapping?

Depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go lol. Pulling the gear box and tearing it down isn't the biggest job in the world now that you can leave the bell attached to the block. Longest part of working on these things is cleaning everything haha. You COULD spread the pain out some and rebuild it later. It'll give you practice! smiling smiley
deaner
Dane Aura
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

June 29, 2017 01:52PM
Another thought I've been kicking around is going to a V8 clutch setup. I build all of the clutches here and can build literally anything I want for dirt cheap. I haven't price checked getting in baby stuff(comparatively lol) so I can start tinkering with different clutch setups. Transmission work is still a little ways down the road for me. Hopefully this winter I can start on this stuff.

Another thought for shits and giggles was to have a flex plate made up to run a tilton twin disk. Like I said though, I haven't sat down and figured out dollar figures. Before I get flamed for blowing money on shit I don't need, I get all sorts of neato stuff at either cost or a handful of nickels lol. Plus I may be able to get some R&D discount for product development. Maybe haha.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login