Advanced

Chevy T5 Behind Ford 2.3L - How?

Posted by dunhamr1 
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Professional Moderator

Re: Chevy T5 Behind Ford 2.3L - How?
June 30, 2017 12:02PM
Just checked online and it's 24t, same as Ford WC 2.95 input shaft.

You might... might.... be able to swap in the WC Ford input as they're the same tooth count. The synchro cone may be a different taper though. But you may be able to use a WC synchro in that locations
Please Login or Register to post a reply
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 30, 2017 12:03PM
Robert Culbertson
How many teeth are on the input shaft of the gm trans?
Pull the four bolts holding the front cover on, pop the cover, rotate input shaft until the half-moon cutout clears the lower counter gear and remove.
Keep the tail of the trans high so all of the roller bearings don't fall into the bottom.

I'm not so worried about # of teeth ( could just use a Chevy clutch), more about the length and the ability to fit the pilot bearing.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 30, 2017 12:13PM
Robert Culbertson

You might... might.... be able to swap in the WC Ford input as they're the same tooth count. The synchro cone may be a different taper though. But you may be able to use a WC synchro in that locations

That's how I understand it, that if they're both WC then it should swap. Then it should just be the std machine down to fit the 2.3 pilot bearing (smaller vs the V8). Unfortunately my Chevy 2.95 box here is NWC.. The search will continue for the right gearset.
Pete
Pete Remner
Infallible Moderator

June 30, 2017 12:17PM
Isn't the 2.3 the same pilot as Chevy?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Robert Culbertson
Professional Moderator

June 30, 2017 12:42PM
dunhamr1
Robert Culbertson
How many teeth are on the input shaft of the gm trans?
Pull the four bolts holding the front cover on, pop the cover, rotate input shaft until the half-moon cutout clears the lower counter gear and remove.
Keep the tail of the trans high so all of the roller bearings don't fall into the bottom.

I'm not so worried about # of teeth ( could just use a Chevy clutch), more about the length and the ability to fit the pilot bearing.

I wasn't talking about the number of splines for the clutch, but the number of gear teeth that are on the input shaft. Making the clutch and pilot fit is easy peasy. getting a long enough input shaft, with the proper bearing diameters, and the proper synchro cone geometry is the real kicker.
Robert Culbertson
Professional Moderator

June 30, 2017 12:46PM
dunhamr1
Robert Culbertson

That's how I understand it, that if they're both WC then it should swap. Then it should just be the std machine down to fit the 2.3 pilot bearing (smaller vs the V8). Unfortunately my Chevy 2.95 box here is NWC.. The search will continue for the right gearset.

Why search for the right gearset, when you might just need a WC ford input shaft to swap into the trans?!?! New input shaft is ~$100. Machine bell and weld on tabs, $100. Done. There are a few parts that can be swapped between WC and NWC, Input shaft might be one. I have a NWC 4-cyl trans, and I can probably get my hands one a WC trans as well. You have all the parts to see if they will fit. It will take about an hour of time.
dunhamr1
Ryan Dunham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1989 Merkur XR4Ti

June 30, 2017 12:57PM
Robert Culbertson
dunhamr1
Robert Culbertson

Why search for the right gearset, when you might just need a WC ford input shaft to swap into the trans?!?! New input shaft is ~$100. Machine bell and weld on tabs, $100. Done. There are a few parts that can be swapped between WC and NWC, Input shaft might be one. I have a NWC 4-cyl trans, and I can probably get my hands one a WC trans as well. You have all the parts to see if they will fit. It will take about an hour of time.

Yes, we're bouncing back and forth here between the "attach the current trans to bellhousing somehow" and "swap the gears into a Ford case." Haven't gone either way but I may do both (have a spare).

If we're going down the tabs on the bellhousing route, is the one you have steel or Aluminium?

Did my measurements make sense? I can get more clear ones this afternoon.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 30, 2017 01:25PM
Pete
Isn't the 2.3 the same pilot as Chevy?

15mm and 15mm. And Volvo 15mm..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Robert Culbertson
Professional Moderator

June 30, 2017 02:20PM
dunhamr1
Yes, we're bouncing back and forth here between the "attach the current trans to bellhousing somehow" and "swap the gears into a Ford case." Haven't gone either way but I may do both (have a spare).

If we're going down the tabs on the bellhousing route, is the one you have steel or Aluminium?

Did my measurements make sense? I can get more clear ones this afternoon.

The bellhousing that's sitting in my shop is aluminum.

The issue with either swapping the gears into the ford case or using a modified bellhousing is that the GM input shaft is going to be too short unless there's some changes.
The Ford t5 input shaft is 9-9/16in in total length.
The GM input shaft is 8-3/4in in total length.
So that means:
The bellhousing will need to be machined down 13/16in (.813in) and use the GM input.
or
Swap a longer ford input shaft with the proper tooth count on the gear to retain the 2.95 1st (24t) into the GM box, IF it will even fit. Which it might, as they use the same retainers and bearings. The issue with swapping the input shaft to a 2.95 (24t) ford one is that it MAY use different synchro cone geometry, as the WC and NWC transmissions use different synchros.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 30, 2017 09:26PM
Robert Culbertson

The issue with either swapping the gears into the ford case or using a modified bellhousing is that the GM input shaft is going to be too short unless there's some changes.
The Ford t5 input shaft is 9-9/16in in total length.
The GM input shaft is 8-3/4in in total length.
So that means:
The bellhousing will need to be machined down 13/16in (.813in) and use the GM input.

Really? I wonder where that figure comes from? 15-16 guys using Volvo bellhousings with nicely welded on ears and the lightest face cut of around .002-.004 just for knocking the tops of the welds off used GM T5s and I never heard a thing about any 13/16" problems..
Ian Topping did 6 years worth of events with that set up, Sean Medcroft has Kevin Hawkinsons 240 with GM box, no problems, the husband and wife team with the grey 240 did a bunch of events with GM T5 and the nice simple Volvo with welded on ears..

Why didn't all these people have problems? 13/16s too short would mean the clutch shaft pilot part wouldn't even be engaged in the bearing and you'd think that would lead to problems...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Professional Moderator

June 30, 2017 10:34PM
I don't know John, that was pulled from he internets.
The Ford WC T5 sitting in my shop is 7.5in from the face of the trans to the tip of the pilot snout.
If the one from Ryan's is 6.5in (from his measurements), thats a pretty big difference.

Edit: it's because you don't use an adapter plate. All of the bolt-on Volvo adapters that use the Ford T5 are about an inch thick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2017 10:35PM by Robert Culbertson.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 01, 2017 12:31AM
Robert Culbertson
I don't know John, that was pulled from he internets.
The Ford WC T5 sitting in my shop is 7.5in from the face of the trans to the tip of the pilot snout.
If the one from Ryan's is 6.5in (from his measurements), thats a pretty big difference.

Edit: it's because you don't use an adapter plate. All of the bolt-on Volvo adapters that use the Ford T5 are about an inch thick.

Pulled from the Internets..

Good job, Culbertson..
Sterling work..

Seriously, now do you see why I find you incredibly annoying as fuck to the point I see you mainly as a troll?
The fucking internet says..

I have suggested to you that you learn to speak like a human being and use some qualifiers, instead of your so often FLAT FUCKING ASSERTIONS on things you obviously don't really know shit about..
Try it! "ASK questions.......but not in a 'I'm challenging YOU manner" like there is more than one possible way AND that you, young inexperience pup that you are, may not, despite magnificient Goggle-fu---know everything...about everything...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Professional Moderator

July 01, 2017 02:07AM
Can you even read once the rage hits?
The lengths I originally posted were the OAL of the input shafts.
Ryan measured the GM NWC transmissions he has, this evening I measured the WC Ford trans I have . The delta in length matched up pretty well to the difference in OAL that was pulled from the internet. It was in my last post, but your rage is apparently blinding.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 01, 2017 12:51PM
Robert Culbertson
Can you even read once the rage hits?
The lengths I originally posted were the OAL of the input shafts.
Ryan measured the GM NWC transmissions he has, this evening I measured the WC Ford trans I have . The delta in length matched up pretty well to the difference in OAL that was pulled from the internet. It was in my last post, but your rage is apparently blinding.

I don't read your stuff in any detail..It's full of too much bullshit, truisms while true meaningless and by stating them , distracts from issue or is just bullshit...ex "you don't want to be carrying around an extra gear..." As if that makes any difference in the world to anybody you or I know. It seems to have as much thought in it as any other 20 something forum posting: assertions followed by assertions...Debate oriented..
like you think the important thing is not collective enlightenment of the realistic affordable options people can do, but in scoring a point and blabbing your way to victory...rather than enlightenment.

And, whatever I express, its not rage, its tired like dealing with a very badly behaving child who has no respect for anybody ---and he a child has no respect for any body he has no respect for anything...--

-and one who in every visible way, presumes to know everything about everything with unshakable confidence----despite obvious to everybody else, extremely limited experience..

And no change from bad behavior, no sign of change.

Seen it already hundreds of times in my life, so not rage or anger, just tired of you, people like you fucking things up with your un-earned self confidence, confusing people..

I'll say it again, try to learn to use some qualifiers in your language..learn sime humility that you should have at your age.
Show some respect for others and not only those in whatever cult belief system you imagine you belong to..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Super Moderator

July 02, 2017 09:49AM
john vanlandingham

I'll say it again, try to learn to use some qualifiers in your language..learn sime humility that you should have at your age.
Show some respect for others and not only those in whatever cult belief system you imagine you belong to..

HAhahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha.

Maybe take a pinch of your own advice Junior Varsity hot smiley In the thousands of spewings you have made in my close to a decade on here, you have never, EVER used any such things, apologized for your shit-ass behaviour, or in general admitted to being wrong.

How you even get an internet connection so high up in your ivory tower strains imagination.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login