> stock moulding would hold the top in and have some
> kind of release pin holding the bottom. Should be
> able to push the lexan out of the moulding in
> hurry. Or just have it drop into the door when
> you pull the pin. But maybe that won't stay in on
> the road? It holds the glass in fine, but glass
> doesn't flex as much.
>

You've got the right idea, it will work just fine. When I've done Lexan in rally cars I've made the front windows quick release. With a framed window just use the stock channel and moulding. I make a couple of brackets at the bottom and attatch the bottom of the Lexan with a couple of Dzus fasteners. A washer attatched to the door somwhere with a string or wire so it doesn't get away provides you with a tool to undo the Dzus fasteners. Then you should be able to just slide the Lexan down and out of the way. That way if you roll over and the door gets jammed or something you won't be trapped. Plus it's safer than glass because it won't break in a roll and allow your head or arm outside the car.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

Re: Omni Cage Pictures
April 07, 2006 10:53AM
Here is another idea.

Clarkinen Method Evolution 1

DZUS Slide Latch on the bottom, no need for tools, slide the latch, push Lexan out, badabang, you are out.

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

April 08, 2006 06:05AM
sagsert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is another idea.
>
> Clarkinen Method Evolution 1
>
> DZUS Slide Latch on the bottom, no need for tools,
> slide the latch, push Lexan out, badabang, you are
> out.
>

That's good. The reason for the flush dzus fasteners was to prevent punture wounds. I did this setup with butterfly Dzus fasteners (think of a Dzus fastener with a wingnut instead of a slot, no tool required) on John Lane's Volvo. Then he caught another car and went off at 80mph into a field of stumps with the predictable results. I believe the aftermath photo pops up at the top of the page from time to time. Anyway, his codriver Scott Huhn got punctured in the shoulder from one of the Dzus fastener wingnuts. Hence the flush Dzus fasteners after that.
John Lane
John Lane
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 262turbo AKA the SPE

April 13, 2006 03:03PM
For the Volvo Lexan cut out to the shape of the window+window channel (the thing that mates with the window regulator) will allow a Lexan window to be rolled down with the stock window regulator. I liked this better then windows with Dzus fasteners and little holes with sliders...... Of course with the doorbars that go into the door the window will not roll all the way down.

I sure do like having more crush room between me and terra-firma. I know that Scott liked having that extra door bar between him and the stump that bent the door bar in the door to meet the sill bar. We removed that stump from the ground with his door.

Side protection is our friend. I like that what is in the Volvo WILL deform to absorb energy rather then my having to dissipate the energy with my meager noodle.

JohnLane

Volvo 260turbo AKA The Fire Breathing Monster
Overkill is consistently more fun
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login