Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

DT Ford Sierra Pedal Box w/ pics
May 09, 2006 12:19PM
I got my Demon Tweeks made dual master bias adjustable brake pedal box on Friday. It shipped with a 0.75" and a 0.625" master cylinders. I plan to remove the 0.625" and replace it with a 0.70" for the front and use the 0.75" to the rear. I will reuse the 0.625" with my hydraulic handbrake setup.

I got it through Checkpoint Racing for about $340 with the two master's. The Ford 909 one was always 350-450 GBP wherever I saw it. Doing like Skye and John did and mimicking the part is ideal and cheaper, but I don't have the time nor resources, nor motivation to do so, when I can buy a bolt in bit for under $350. By the time I buy the balance bar, MCs, and spend the time building it I could have been working and probably making enough money to cover the difference (plus subtract out the cost of beer bought while building the replica).

Here's some pictures of it. The entire part bolts to the firewall and the spear looking thing goes to the pedal, instead of the mostly interior based Ford Group A part. Based upon my non-scientific, 'eyeball' measurements, the whole assembly will sit a slight bit further out from the firewall than the current booster and MC. The pedal height is easily adjusted too with this part. It looks like it could be pretty easily adapted into other cars with similar setups, simply by creating or modifying the shaft to go to that cars brake pedal.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: DT Ford Sierra Pedal Box w/ pics
May 09, 2006 12:26PM
Now to order up the 14 AN -3 plugs, some feet of 3/16" brake line tubing, the 37 degree brake flare tool, 5 bulkhead fittings, reservoirs, and fittings into the MCs.

The spacing from center to center on the two MCs is about 2.5" The small, offset Girling Reservoir has a top diameter of 3" but the nipple into the MC is offset 0.4" so I think two of these may be able to be used directly onto the MCs. But I may just do remote reservoir regardless.

http://www.essexparts.com/CatalogPDF/Essex_51~GirlingMastCyl.pdf

Grant Hughes
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

May 09, 2006 12:36PM
Looks nice. I'm interested to see what the clearence story is with it in the engine compartment..
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 09, 2006 12:57PM
Clearance issue? Look at how far out your booster and master cylinder sit off the firewall. I'll try to take some side by side comparison pics tonight. That too was my initial concern though, and then I got out and looked under my virgin, mostly unscathed engine bay, then out to the garage and looked under Aaron's, which is completely gutted and stripped, searched around and found the booster. It should be fine. Regardless though, once I get it all done we'll (well Checkpoint will anyhow) probably make this setup in a kit with all the lines and such pre-bent and flared to sell as a package for either JVAB brake kit, stock, or other setups.

That leads me to another question. It seems with how close the MC is to the firewall, it'd be easier to just do a SS braided line to the bulkhead adapter, then hardline from there back. Is there any issue with using quality braided brake line in places other than the last little bit of line?

Grant Hughes
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

May 09, 2006 01:32PM
Teflon brake line has virtually no expansion under pressure, so you could concievably just do everything in it. But it's kinda pricey, which is what I understand to be the only motivation behind doing most of the stationary lines in solid steel.

edit:
In thinking about it, I suppose soft lines also need 2x the fittings that an equivilent circuit in hardlines would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 01:36PM by PAddy.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 09, 2006 02:52PM
I was just thinking braided SS for the line from the MC to the T for the fronts, then hardline to the bulkhead adapters at wheel well, then SS to caliper. Then SS from MC to bulkhead adapter on firewall. Hardline to hydraulic and back to T. Then SS to bulkhead adapter and from SS to caliper.

But anyhow, here's a pic for reference.
That's the Merk Power Booster with the T-Bird MC.

Grant Hughes
mothra
Matt Smith
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

May 09, 2006 03:00PM
That looks great. So does it connect to the stock unmodified pedal cluster?

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 09, 2006 03:36PM
I couldn't find Aaron's in my garage but comparing the rod on it vs. the rod on the booster in my mind, it appears it should. I'll pull both out and take side by side pics tonight.

Grant Hughes
Rich Howard
Rich Howard
Mega Moderator

May 09, 2006 05:28PM
No one will ever know. Even if Gronholm drops by and and you go for a blat, he will never say " yeah good car. Too bad about the three feet of soft line."

Plus less time bending, which you have to be anal about, means more time for other things.

Take it easy
Rich

Rich Howard
Indianapolis, Indiana
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 10, 2006 08:43AM
Well got 20' of hard line coming as well as all the AN -3 fittings for every spot and the needed bulkhead fittings and tees. Here's the pic side by side with the stock booster. I tried to get the mounting faces lines up as closely as possible for a good comparison.

Grant Hughes
sagsert
Mustafa Samli
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Gaylant VR4

May 10, 2006 02:14PM
Sweeeeeeeeet !!!

Cheers
M.Samli
Phoenix AZ
Gaylant VR4
EVO III GSR (Stolen)

Rallies are no place for traitors
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login