Posted by NoCoast 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

3 days and two new posts?
June 05, 2006 09:00AM
I've been offline for 3 days and there's only two new posts? Wow. Okay, so here's an update from my weekend.
Left work early on Friday. Went to Checkpoint Racing to help Mitch get ready for the hill climb over the weekend and pick up the air compressor I'm buying from him. Went home and got to work on the car. The interior is now completely stripped and all tar removed. Trying to figure out a safe, easy non-chemical method to removing residue though. Shitty Harbour Freight sander has limited to no results. Work on car until sundown (in street) then shower, go see X Men 3 with Mark, bar, then home around 2 am.
Saturday wake up early and run to Home Depot to buy some electrical stuff. Cap all unneeded wiring inside car and clean it out further. Attempt a wire brush on angle grinder for removal of tar. Give up and go with Steve to watch some beach volleyball. Screw around for a couple of hours with Steve and then go home. Finish underdash wiring clean-up and start reinstalling dash. Dash and front two seats are back in. Mark and I go for a quick drive. Car handles pretty sweet and completely lowering spring seat has fixed popping CV. Get out into a really rough dirt parking lot. Mark almost ends up in my seat after some spirited driving in parking lot and no passenger side seat belt. Biggest impression, open diff is horrible in a rwd car. Need to get the welded or a Supra diff in soon. We meet up with Steve and rest of crew at bar downtown. Drink, drink drink. We are on the patio on the 16th street mall. By the end of the night I had made around $25 doing random shit, my cell phone is now in about 15 pieces after multiple times of throwing it at a pole across the street but finally the bus running over it was fatal. Then it got lit on fire thanks to a broken/leaking lighter. I harrassed many people with an orange construction cone. Wandered off alot. Couldn't find any cockroaches. Passed out at the second bar we went to. Slept until 1:30 Sunday then laid around until work. Went out in Merkur after work. Put about 50 miles on it, and other than a poof of smoke at startup and running really, really, hot, it seems in good shape. Going to pull AC system today after work to try to clear up flow to radiator. New radiator should be here this week as should exhaust and intercooler piping so may get started on that. Oh, new question, actually construction related.

Nah, nevermind.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

Re: 3 days and two new posts?
June 05, 2006 02:23PM
So the wire wheel didn't work on the cling-on tar? Shiiittt...
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 05, 2006 02:51PM
It kind of worked. It'd probably be better in weather that wasn't near 100 degrees. It works kind of, but it'd take forever and I doubt the grinder would hold up to the over an hour of non-stop use. Brian at Champagne just uses some chemical that works rather well apparently. I don't really want to use chemicals though since I'm working on the car in the street in a neighborhood with lots of little Mexican kids running around, a few foxes, and lots of stray cats and dogs wandering around.

I used it a bit to clean up where the cage feet will be, but not too much. Not real steady or comfortable with it that close to ECU wiring on the front side.

Grant Hughes
hudson
Andrew McNally
Mod Moderator

June 05, 2006 04:30PM
PAddy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So the wire wheel didn't work on the cling-on tar?
> Shiiittt...

I'm using Varsol with pretty good results. Other thiners/solvents work aswell.

Andrew M
Onterrible
30ish
derek
Derek Bottles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Past: 323, RX2, GTI. Next up M3 ?

June 06, 2006 02:11PM
Here is a post

In the long run reality always wins.
derek
Derek Bottles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

June 06, 2006 02:12PM
here is another

derek
Derek Bottles
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

June 06, 2006 02:12PM
Is this value add?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login