Posted by PAddy 
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

XR Jack/Stand Points?
July 30, 2006 04:49PM
One thing that always bugs me when I'm lifting the car is the absence of a good place to put a jackstand up front on an XR. I always end up using the beam-locating post-things out back, and some spot on the subframes up front. So, since I am flipping the car over again sometime soon to finish the welds on the new rocker panels and to paint the underside, I wanted to weld on some pipe to provide a better place for jackstands. Buuut, the factory jack point is kinda cheesy looking...any bright ideas as to where the best place will be?

Underside of Skye's car for reference:

I don't want to do "pin" stands, but like the idea of welding in a piece of pipe about the right diameter to fit into the saddle of my jackstands to let it pivot easily when jacking both ends up simultaneously...
Please Login or Register to post a reply
PAddy
Patrick McVeigh
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Student Loans

Re: XR Jack/Stand Points?
August 03, 2006 07:29PM
I found some images of some frame rail reinforcing plates which David Godfrey rivnut-ed in to stop it from collapsing under jacking up front. I think I'll just weld in some plate in a similar location and call it good - just have to remember to always jack the front first when doing both ends up in the air. Which reminds me, I need to cut open those damn beam posts in the back to get at one of the spun captive nuts which won't let me get the damn plate off.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - pass side jack plate.JPG (31.9 KB)
pass side jack plate.JPG
open | download - drivers side jack plate 2.JPG (35.6 KB)
drivers side jack plate 2.JPG
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login