Morten
Morten
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

Re: Volvo Shocks and Springs
January 29, 2006 03:09AM
Hey Taro,

Keven is the guy doing the Volvo 242 at Vanlandinghams. I wouldn't call him rough looking, although with a ciggie hanging off his lip... He's a Swede, I think.

When you do fire training, do you train with the guys from Saltspring ever ?

Please Login or Register to post a reply
Taro
Taro Snell
Infallible Moderator

January 29, 2006 05:47PM
I was meaning to say that Adam had a rough looking Toyota when I met him at PFR, or at least a work in progress. But yeah, swedes do look kinda scaring at times.
Never trained with the guys from Saltspring, though some other guys have trained on saltspring last summer at some point. You know people in their department? I've trained mostly with guys from Cowachin and Lanceville, etc. They just changed the live fire program from Maple Ridge to Comox, so maybe there will be a different group of departments.
I talked to my buddy about going up to the lake the weekend of the rally, and he said "so, you're going to go talk to a builder about suspension and a cage, drink lots of beer, and go see some racing....will there be chicks? Fuck dude, giv'er, Weathers gonna suck at the lake anyway." So I guess I haven't really got an excuse not to go. Besides work, who knows what'll come up between now and then.
Now the only problem left is I'm only 20, so not legal sad smiley. Stupid bullshit US rules.
Cheers

Taro

Taro Snell
Gabriola Is, Colombie Britannique, Canuckistan
1979 Volvo 240 GrF....eventually
Morten
Morten
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt

January 30, 2006 04:59AM
Only 20... You may not be able to buy beer in Fortress America but I bet you can probably buy a semi-automatic firearm with a big clip. Yup your age dictates that you're not responsible enough to get pissed, but hell yeah here's a semi-auto AR 15.

Yeah I've got friends on the force on Saltspring. One's a volunteer and the other one's "El Capitan". I asked if you've trained with them because I know they train some of the other forces on some of the other islands.

Have you had to do the high angle rescue course yet ?

The Saltspring force did it in Vancouver, and took turns lowering each other down from top of a nice tall building. I'll pass thank you !

So I guess you'll be getting your class 3 with air endorsement ?

Nothing like messing with slack adjusters on a cold wet day, no wonder some of the truckers blow pass the brake checks. When I drove buses in the Rockies and in the Western States, they all had automatic slack adjusters.

Have you thought about throwing just a cage and a set of harnesses in the Volvo and going rallying. That's what Chad Manley did in his first year in his hatchback celica. Then the celica was retired when Derek gave him one of his Golfs.

Chad went on to win at Kananaskis in 2005.

http://www.flatovercrest.com/archives/2005/11/kananaskis_rall.html
Taro
Taro Snell
Infallible Moderator

January 30, 2006 10:31AM
Hmmm, An AR15 would do nicely up at the cabin for hunting squirrels, hehe. Haven't done High Angle yet, they did the course right before I joined up, I've done low angle though, lowering people down long steep banks and such. Seems easier enough till you're doing it in the dark in the pissing rain with 80lbs of gear on.
Yeah, I already had my air and just got my class 3. Our trucks all have auto adjusters, but they never seem to be working. Plus, we have nice heated halls to work in, so no crawling around at brake checks. Me and a buddy do all the pre-tripping and maintainance on the department trucks. We only have 9, but always enough to keep you busy.
That was my plan, to just get the volvo legal to rally ad have at er, still might be what I end up doing. I'll have to go down and talk to the cage guy and JVL and see what the deal is. Money and time are not two things I have that much of at the moment, so I'll figure out the best way to get onto the stages.
If you talk to your buddy on saltsrping, ask him if it's possible for me to stop in on a practice and see how they do things. It's nice to see different departments.
Cheers

Taro

Taro Snell
Gabriola Is, Colombie Britannique, Canuckistan
1979 Volvo 240 GrF....eventually
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

February 03, 2006 03:47PM
These are some pics Kevin sent to me. The modification for JVAB stuff.

Grant Hughes
Attachments:
open | download - 2005_1006Image0007small.JPG (69.8 KB)
2005_1006Image0007small.JPG
open | download - 2005_1006Image0008small.JPG (80.9 KB)
2005_1006Image0008small.JPG
Skye
Skye Nott
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Xratty

February 04, 2006 12:12AM
41mm insert club *hi5*

www.rallyrace.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login