Posted by Gravity Fed 
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

Re: Revamping the Rx7
November 06, 2011 01:00AM
sounds good. i really hope its janvanvurpa verbatim.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 06, 2011 03:07AM
figure i put up my "zu tun Liste" for the rally car. Its getting close. why German? eh why not.

1, Installieren ein Kühler
2, Anhängen die Kraftstoffleitung
3, Installieren die Kraftstoffpumpe und filter
4, Installieren der Motor-Computer und der Motor Kabelbaum in das chassis
5, Handbremse
6, Bremleitungen und entlüften die Bremsen
7, Öldruckanzeige
8, Öltemperaturanzeige
9, Kühlmittelanzeige
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 06, 2011 11:40AM
Gravity Fed
figure i put up my "zu tun Liste" for the rally car. Its getting close. why German? eh why not.

1, Installieren ein Kühler
2, Anhängen die Kraftstoffleitung
3, Installieren die Kraftstoffpumpe und filter
4, Installieren der Motor-Computer und der Motor Kabelbaum in das chassis
5, Handbremse
6, Bremleitungen und entlüften die Bremsen
7, Öldruckanzeige
8, Öltemperaturanzeige
9, Kühlmittelanzeige

Robert "Rallymech" can help with präcisierung of the idiom but montage and montierung, ya wouldn't know it but he's a kartoffler fressende Kraut (even if his dialekt is well let's just say fawkin weird.)

Also, logically ----and that's one of their faults------where the hell are you going to montage the kabelbaum_ In your WC? up your heck?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 07, 2011 03:03AM
side thought (thats more one point to the actual topic) did you get my email?

im still learning about how words are alterned and change for conditions. The more words i learn the more see some trends how the root word remains but thing combine to change meaning or to form new words entirely. Its interesting, but with little choice in practice (i only found Stalengrad and its far too fast speaking for me) i figure automotive is a context im very famailiar with.

Ill continue this in that other thread i made since im curious.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 07, 2011 10:19AM
Gravity Fed
side thought (thats more one point to the actual topic) did you get my email?

im still learning about how words are alterned and change for conditions. The more words i learn the more see some trends how the root word remains but thing combine to change meaning or to form new words entirely. Its interesting, but with little choice in practice (i only found Stalengrad and its far too fast speaking for me) i figure automotive is a context im very famailiar with.

Ill continue this in that other thread i made since im curious.

Ya noez, used to be even 'merikans spoke a lot faster. I know the sheer speed of everybody where I lived (Sweden, then France and passed thru more and more Germany as I met more cutinas) EVERYBODY (except some regions of Finland and NOBODY understands Finnish, not even the Finns) spoke very fast. Spanish, Pork-and-cheese, and Italians weren't the worst, everybody did. And we I came back every 18-22 months to USA I was out here in WA then down to CA and the people spoke G-l-a-c-i-a-l-y s-l-o-w..

Fawk me! I say to a lotta youse guys who call on the phone "youse guys are lucky you know me when I'm all old and mellow!"

Maybe the bar talk was good cause it was in an easier situation, slown down.....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 15, 2011 06:19AM
Johnny Van Dam Islam,

For the suspension up front as we talked about, i would rather use the second generation type tops (1986 - 1992) as opposed to the early (pre 1985) stuff. That way i can use them on a later project and if that happens to be a second generation car, that would save me compatibility hassles. And again, im okay will doing a little cut cut weld weld on this project since the chassis is beat.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 15, 2011 09:43PM
Gravity Fed
Johnny Van Dam Islam,

For the suspension up front as we talked about, i would rather use the second generation type tops (1986 - 1992) as opposed to the early (pre 1985) stuff. That way i can use them on a later project and if that happens to be a second generation car, that would save me compatibility hassles. And again, im okay will doing a little cut cut weld weld on this project since the chassis is beat.

Hey let's see if anybody has some second gen top mounts laying about so I can check dimesnions...
Talking (semi-coherently I hope with William and I haz to make some more "universal" top mounts for The Fucked-us RWD project and some other junk, Maybe I can carve some for thing thing IF

the ear length makes me think we migth be straining the rubber.

I'll talkie to him about the D shaped shock mounts for the rear upper cause there a buncha boys right at that point.

I's just got outta hospital after a operation to port and polish and generally rebuild my nose. Is bleeding all over the place and am ON DRUGS!
We'll talk more

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

November 16, 2011 04:17AM
excellent. the other things was the angle induced by the tops staying but but the axle line being farther forward with the later sub frame. Its a rather noticeable amount of angle since the axle line is I'm guessing two inches forward.

also the bees and honey are enroute.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

December 04, 2011 01:03PM
Being away and unable to make progress is frustrating. The time i spend when i get home will be frantic to say the least. Ideally i can order many of the remaining parts before i get home then just assemble. Also need to make the car one color still, likely a simple white single stage.

JVL is making the dampers though and that IS exciting. will be great to feel the difference the car will have.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 08, 2012 05:24AM
Creating a budget list, a parts "need" and a time frame. It is not looking too promising for the Idaho Rally. Something will either not be done, or done properly. And that is with me selving the fuel cell idea until further notice (funding priorities / waiting to recieve RA blessing on idea.

Hopefully everything should work out, but we shall see. More of the parts on the car were in need of attention than i originally anticipated, like the gauges not working properly and the like. I might recruit some local help to get what i have the parts for done during those two weeks once im home.

the front dampers will be completely paid for on the 15th, whatever else i can order on that paycheck will be done (and posted on here). Likely, i will get the various engine parts i need. Namely, the MAF, Crank Angle Sensor, and engine wiring harness. I found a guy in Boise with them, so it might be cheap. I already have the ECU, Coils, and various other items needed. We shall what else i acquire.

Just feeling the pressure I guess. From the day i get back I have less than two months to do everything i need to get the car running. From a "to do" list prospective, its rather daunting.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
MeCalledEvan
Evan Horner
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 Mazda RX7 GSL

January 11, 2012 09:09PM
This is great. A ton of good info that I'm sure I'll utilize with my build.
I'm starting up my RX7 rally car build. I actually just got her driving for the first time since I bought herlast night and tore up the caul-de-sac. I am designing and building a cage to FIA specs for an independent study in school this quarter (I'm a vehicle-engineering student).
I'm going to stay with the rotary for the time being, but also am considering a Miata engine for a future modification.

I'll be starting a build thread on here and on RX7Club.com within the next couple weeks.

Keep up the great work and good luck when you get home!

"The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and have so much more to learn." - Claude Rouelle, Optimum G lecture June, 2011

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 09:46PM by MeCalledEvan.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 11, 2012 10:18PM
MeCalledEvan
This is great. A ton of good info that I'm sure I'll utilize with my build.
I'm starting up my RX7 rally car build. I actually just got her driving for the first time since I bought herlast night and tore up the caul-de-sac. I am designing and building a cage to FIA specs for an independent study in school this quarter (I'm a vehicle-engineering student).
I'm going to stay with the rotary for the time being, but also am considering a Miata engine for a future modification.

I'll be starting a build thread on here and on RX7Club.com within the next couple weeks.

Keep up the great work and good luck when you get home!

When thinking of the cage, think at an early stage that you will almost certainly want to add towers or turrets in the back so you can have nice long coilovers---and the back-stays and diagonals converging to the tops of the towers..

Do you know what I mean?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 11, 2012 10:43PM
exactly what JVL said.

The cage in the car as you see it is old as heck and nowhere near legal, or for that matter, well fitted. When Rx7 2.0 comes around, i plan on having a taller tower as mentioned, which is need before the cage really goes in. Ill see if i can't find a picture of what we're talking about.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
MeCalledEvan
Evan Horner
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 Mazda RX7 GSL

January 12, 2012 10:50AM
I think I understand. So I would be cutting away the stock strut towers and welding together a box where I would mount the new strut that sits higher in the cabin, then running the backstays and diagonals down to the top of that new tower. I attached a shitty quick little CAD drawing just eyeballing it in the cars profile (I'm a very visual learner so this helps me even though it isn't useable due to not having any measurements). Is this what you mean?

I was planning on doing something similar. I was going to box in the strut tower, but I hadn't planned on raising it. I see the benefits, but this does raise a potential issue for me. Being a college student, I'm too broke for nice long coilovers (using student loans to afford materials for the cage). I'm planning on just running stock suspension or using GSL-SE suspension for the time being while I learn to slide sideways on gravel and autocross the car. If I cut away at the strut tower and create said box, that would either lower my car with stock suspension, or force me to get long suspension, which is many times outside of my budget.

By the way GravityFed. I definitely just threadjacked. Sorry about that. Maybe I should just start a new thread now where we can continue this... tongue sticking out smiley

"The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know and have so much more to learn." - Claude Rouelle, Optimum G lecture June, 2011
Attachments:
open | download - Boxed Rear Struts.jpg (255.9 KB)
Boxed Rear Struts.jpg
MeCalledEvan
Evan Horner
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1983 Mazda RX7 GSL

January 12, 2012 10:53AM
P.S. I saw that the turbo manifold on your Miata engine has "Flying Mazda" cast into it. Awesome! Mazda is so fucking cool!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login