deaner
Dane Aura
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

Re: audi 80 back at it!
July 28, 2013 12:53PM
aj_johnson
Fuel lines suck! that took twice as long as it reasonably should have.

Switch and relay panel Version 2 going in tomorrow.

Are you running your pumps in the trunk and then the lines inside the car? Was underneath mine the other day debating if I wanted to relocate everything or just build a skid plate lol.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 28, 2013 01:29PM
deaner
aj_johnson

Are you running your pumps in the trunk and then the lines inside the car? Was underneath mine the other day debating if I wanted to relocate everything or just build a skid plate lol.

Think of this scenario: you paid some huge entry, reserved motel rooms, driven 490 miles, done 3 SS with some muddy sections and you need to change the pump cause its not happy. You service crew is your 4th cousin Mongo, Mongo strong for heaving all the "spares" aka junk into the service barge but you hain't gonna let him do mission critical jobs like hold tools.
So here you are in your shiny romper-suit.

Do you want to A) open the hatch, turn 2 Dzus fasteners and reach into the well and swap out the nice minty fresh pump with a minty fresher-er one?

Or B-) grovel on your back in the and the first bolt you touch rains a big blob of mud right in your left eye, then you turn the bolt 1/2 a turn and another big turd plops right on your right eye. You're blind now, but you know you have less than 20 minutes before your safe Out Time so working by feel alone you can't find the banjo fitting in the blobular mess of mud and dried cow poo, so you now start excavating with your screwdriver and more mud, pound and pounds of mud and dirt rain down on you but you have to continue. After 15 minutes you have exposed the pump, and you crack the inlet banjo and gas starts running down you sleeves--of your nice shiny rompersuit.. eventually you have the pump loose and you're soaked all the way to your elbows..but al least its washed away some of the mud and cow-poo that had covered your eyes..New pump in position and since you late now, and still half blind, you don't notice the one tiny grain of rock under the sealing washer.

Eventually you think you're ready to go---except you're leaking a long dribbly trail of gas...
4 miles into next SS, Joe Doakes lights a ciggy and causlly flips the match out onto the dirt ---being a eco-friendly smoker he duddnt want to burn the forest down. Match lights off the gas trail and it races ahead 3 miles and catches the car which natually, it couldn't be otherwise, burst into flames.
You eventually notice and being a good guy you don't wanna burn down the forest either so you pull over, leap out with your fire extinguisher, pull the pin, aim it

And you burst into flames yourself since the gas that soaked your suit has wicked its way all over the upper half your body.
You die.
Codriver in horror can do nothing since you had the extinguisher and its under you flaming corpse. Fire consumes car--and what was left of you.
Spreads.
Burns 200 houses..
All rally banned in America in response...

So.
Which scenario would you want to choose: easy clean access to a vital part to keep the car running?
or
being responsible for a post-apocalyptic nightmare?

THINK of the CHILDREN!!!!!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2013 01:30PM by john vanlandingham.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

July 28, 2013 04:50PM
Yes inside the car. Vittorio has a nicer setup for pumps in the trunk. mine was a bit more budget oriented I flipped the internals of the tank outlet so it comes out in the passenger side rear of the tank (surprisingly easy, one spot weld and cut a square around the outlet, I was able to retain all stock baffling). I used JIC fittings from the local NAPA as they were much cheaper than the brand name AN stuff. (plus I had some aluminum AN stuff lying around) Aluminum hardline through the car, up the pass side of the tunnel. I'll try to snap some pics, but we're going house shopping and I'm due back at the install this evening, and will be off the old forums for the most part.

There is room to mount two pumps under the car but I'm hoping that this is more of a do it once solution.
deaner
Dane Aura
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

July 31, 2013 04:42PM
john vanlandingham
deaner
aj_johnson

Think of this scenario: you paid some huge entry, reserved motel rooms, driven 490 miles, done 3 SS with some muddy sections and you need to change the pump cause its not happy. You service crew is your 4th cousin Mongo, Mongo strong for heaving all the "spares" aka junk into the service barge but you hain't gonna let him do mission critical jobs like hold tools.

Do you want to A) open the hatch, turn 2 Dzus fasteners and reach into the well and swap out the nice minty fresh pump with a minty fresher-er one?

Or B-) grovel on your back in the and the first bolt you touch rains a big blob of mud right in your left eye, then you turn the bolt 1/2 a turn and another big turd plops right on your right eye. You're blind now, but you know you have less than 20 minutes before your safe Out Time so working by feel alone you can't find the banjo fitting in the blobular mess of mud and dried cow poo, so you now start excavating with your screwdriver and more mud, pound and pounds of mud and dirt rain down on you but you have to continue. After 15 minutes you have exposed the pump, and you crack the inlet banjo and gas starts running down you sleeves--of your nice shiny rompersuit.. eventually you have the pump loose and you're soaked all the way to your elbows..but al least its washed away some of the mud and cow-poo that had covered your eyes..New pump in position and since you late now, and still half blind, you don't notice the one tiny grain of rock under the sealing washer.

Eventually you think you're ready to go---except you're leaking a long dribbly trail of gas...
4 miles into next SS, Joe Doakes lights a ciggy and causlly flips the match out onto the dirt ---being a eco-friendly smoker he duddnt want to burn the forest down. Match lights off the gas trail and it races ahead 3 miles and catches the car which natually, it couldn't be otherwise, burst into flames.
You eventually notice and being a good guy you don't wanna burn down the forest either so you pull over, leap out with your fire extinguisher, pull the pin, aim it

And you burst into flames yourself since the gas that soaked your suit has wicked its way all over the upper half your body.
You die.
Codriver in horror can do nothing since you had the extinguisher and its under you flaming corpse. Fire consumes car--and what was left of you.
Spreads.
Burns 200 houses..

So.
Which scenario would you want to choose: easy clean access to a vital part to keep the car running?
or

You're totally right. After building the skid plate I should get a fire suppression system. Thanks for the kick in the ass lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 04:43PM by deaner.
deaner
Dane Aura
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

July 31, 2013 04:47PM
aj_johnson
Yes inside the car. Vittorio has a nicer setup for pumps in the trunk. mine was a bit more budget oriented I flipped the internals of the tank outlet so it comes out in the passenger side rear of the tank (surprisingly easy, one spot weld and cut a square around the outlet, I was able to retain all stock baffling). I used JIC fittings from the local NAPA as they were much cheaper than the brand name AN stuff. (plus I had some aluminum AN stuff lying around) Aluminum hardline through the car, up the pass side of the tunnel. I'll try to snap some pics, but we're going house shopping and I'm due back at the install this evening, and will be off the old forums for the most part.

There is room to mount two pumps under the car but I'm hoping that this is more of a do it once solution.

Gotcha. I'd def like to see your setup when you get a chance. Thinking I may run the factory location for the first summer and then rig something up over the winter. I don't need more flow, it's just in a piss poor spot. May as well paint a target on it. Plus as John pointed out, pump changes would be a snap.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 31, 2013 06:40PM
deaner
john vanlandingham
deaner
aj_johnson

You die.
Spreads.
Burns 200 houses..

So.
or

You're totally right. After building the skid plate I should get a fire suppression system. Thanks for the kick in the ass lol.

Oh so you didn't like alternative B? (That was pretty good wuddnit?hot smiley)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
deaner
Dane Aura
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

July 31, 2013 08:28PM
john vanlandingham
deaner
john vanlandingham
deaner
aj_johnson

You die.
Spreads.
Burns 200 houses..

So.
or

Oh so you didn't like alternative B? (That was pretty good wuddnit?hot smiley)

I'm a bit of a hippy and the idea of burning down thousands of acres of helpless trees, doesn't really jive well with my chi. Especially ove something as silly as laziness and or drunkenness...lol yeah was pretty good too btw.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 09, 2013 06:47PM
OOOOooh just gotta have some tea and uplaod some shots of these steeeeering arms..
Oooh baby Oh baby they're looking good.

The weld on flange where the LH and RH clocking is done

mock up

mock up

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 10:34PM by john vanlandingham.
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

August 10, 2013 05:48AM
Nice work John! Really like the design allowing 1 spare that fits left and right...

Btw - after studying some of the stock Audi specs - I went with a longer front, same length as the rear. Gained almost 2in travel in the fronts - works very nicely.
deaner
Dane Aura
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

August 10, 2013 09:01AM
Those look sexy as hell!
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

August 12, 2013 01:18PM
Love it John. Keep em coming.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 12, 2013 09:28PM
aj_johnson
Love it John. Keep em coming.

Gotta re-do the tip. Gotta move the hole in nearly 1.5" Slight misunderstanding---He had an early version of Vittorios and did dims off that, not the spare strut..
I can make youse guys steering slower!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

August 18, 2013 12:28AM
moving in

aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

October 07, 2013 12:50AM
Painting sucks. next time I'm buying a white car!

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 07, 2013 12:52AM
Just in time.

News at 6 and 10!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login