Posted by aj_johnson 
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

Re: audi 80 back at it!
July 02, 2012 04:35PM
Gonna run a 10vt for the time being. I have one, it's been freshened up slightly and they take a pounding. It may not be a big powerhouse but most people have more budget for toilet paper than I do for this car. now if a 20v falls in my lap my mind might change.

I do also have a megasquirt setup sitting around that ran the last 80 quattro. but I dunno if that's the way to go.

Also Vittorio, I shot you an email. let me know what you think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 04:36PM by aj_johnson.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

July 02, 2012 06:19PM
good low budget alternative - I ran CIS before the 20vt - CIS will only support so much boost due to the fuel delivery capabilities - however you can always get a variable voltage fuel pump and adjust voltage based on MAP. w/Megasquirt or VEMS now you're in to a fuel rail + injectors if you do fuel only, coils and a variety position sensors if you add spark. I'm assuming you're thinking of swapping the VEMS out of your S4 into the rally car when you need it. Although a great idea, its a PITA eveytime you test, you need to reset maps, blah, blah, blah - My son tried that w/his 4.2 V8 and Aursche - he ended up buying a 2nd VEMS...

Believe it or not - I'd actually recommend a good working CIS with chipped MAC-11 in the 10VT - keep it real low budget and run one more rally smiling smiley At 15lbs of boost, you'll have to learn how to keep your speed in the corners and by the time you put the 20vt in - you'll be a menace to more expensive machinery thumbs up smiley
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

July 02, 2012 08:33PM
You know if I had any cis stuff lying around. I'd take that route. as it is I have a Megasquirt fuel only setup. Chipped mac 14 ecu (dual knock sensor) fuel rail, 300 cc injectors, backup 375 cc injectors for going over 18psi, adapter bungs, phenolic spacer etc etc. (alot of this stuff came from parting out a couple of wrecked 10vt's with efi over the last couple years)

I'm sold on fuel only at a minimum, going megasquirt, I've got a good reliable setup with all the bugs already woked out., VEMS would just make the jump to 20v easier.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 03, 2012 05:23AM
aj_johnson
I can't complain too much, because we've worked out a trade for services arrangement that should make both parties happy.

Awesome! I love hearing about cool trades like that. Amazingly the only thing people ever offer to trade with me is graphic design or web design and then they want ME to pay for materials as well. I've had a few people make offers on various trade for services stuff but it's almost always low value trades like GD or web design or photography so the only one I've actually done was wheel bearings and CVs for a good friend that is an electrician. He supplied parts, I supplied labor. I've got projects at the house that will need his help in the future so... He also used to buy me beer when I was 19 and 20 so I kinda owed him one. smiling smiley

I still think about building an early 90s Audi OL car. The 10v or 20v engines are just so wicked sounding. I am starting to grow quite fond of the BMW I6 though as well.

Grant Hughes
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

July 03, 2012 07:23AM
Aw hell - you already have everything you need - def keep megasquirt. The restrictor coupled with the 10vt head flow is really going to limit what you can do for boost anyway.

I've thought about Nagaro Blue as being a neat color...
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

July 03, 2012 11:42AM
NoCoast
aj_johnson
I can't complain too much, because we've worked out a trade for services arrangement that should make both parties happy.

Awesome! I love hearing about cool trades like that. Amazingly the only thing people ever offer to trade with me is graphic design or web design and then they want ME to pay for materials as well. I've had a few people make offers on various trade for services stuff but it's almost always low value trades like GD or web design or photography so the only one I've actually done was wheel bearings and CVs for a good friend that is an electrician. He supplied parts, I supplied labor. I've got projects at the house that will need his help in the future so... He also used to buy me beer when I was 19 and 20 so I kinda owed him one. smiling smiley

I still think about building an early 90s Audi OL car. The 10v or 20v engines are just so wicked sounding. I am starting to grow quite fond of the BMW I6 though as well.

The audi I5 sounds awesome I even kept the naturally aspirated motor "just in case". The straight six is growing on me but I still think the flat 6's sound wicked. The subaru at Idaho 2011 with the flat six was incredible sounding.

Vittorio.... You aren't helping the decision making process at all. winking smiley
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

July 03, 2012 12:09PM
there is an 80 on CL for 1000. they always look odd to me from a side profile. Like the wheels just arent... right

anywho, when is YOUR car party gonna be? Id like to wrench on it some for 1) to know my S6 a bit better and 2) if i codrive for you i can help fix the thing

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

July 14, 2012 11:00AM
JUNGLE GYM!!!!! busted out some cage this AM

Still need to finish tying in the front towers and the two lower bars to the rear towers. But man does it feel good to see a full cage!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 11:44AM by aj_johnson.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

July 14, 2012 05:24PM
so paint party is coming soon then! Its looks excellent.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
shiza
Dan Norkus
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

July 15, 2012 05:30PM
Very nice! We need an electrical fixing party also!
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

July 27, 2012 08:10AM
Cage is Officially complete. Logbook process is started. Time to get to town depinnng those mil spec bulkhead connectors so I can put together a wiring harness.

I've been told to use single stage eurethane for interior paint. You guys concur?

alkun
Albert Kun
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

July 27, 2012 11:15AM
go get 'em tiger.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

Audi 80 officially logbooked
August 13, 2012 04:26PM
I'VE GOT A LOGBOOK!!!!!!!!!!

Also picked up a second job to pay for more parts. Funny thing is it pays $.50 an hour more than my day job winking smiley

More stuff happening

some primer, more when it's finished

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 04:34PM by aj_johnson.
shiza
Dan Norkus
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

August 13, 2012 11:43PM
Looks great!
vbares
Vittorio Bares
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 4k (3b conversion)

August 14, 2012 06:40AM
Nice!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login