Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: DMS suspension
November 09, 2011 06:50PM
DaveK
NoCoast
Point is, this is rally, even with good suspension, shit goes wrong and stuff will break.
Wait, I'm confused...I thought these were pics of DMS?
Any pics of how Ohlins, Proflex, & RS&SP do the ears? Curious if they've got the same type of failures happening.

RS&SP are gusseted like crazy from what I've seen. No clue about Ohlins or Proflex. But watch enough WRC and you'll see people damaging struts.
Troy has been trying to get Mitch to switch for years now. They'll probably go with RS&SP like the rest.
Ron is thinking about the Hot Bits stuff for the Evo. He has three DMS still but he loaned Mark a rear for some reason back in 2006. I dropped it off to Checkpoint/Salta where his car was at at the time and it's never been seen since. Anybody got a spare Evo 7 RS rear DMS strut laying around? smiling smiley

Thing is, people that spend over $5k on stuff aren't usually the people posting pictures of that shit broken. Heaven forbid if their wife finds out... Speaking of, how's that transfer case?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

November 09, 2011 07:00PM
Word is that the RS&SP stuff can be difficult to get a hold of and there are definitely a few bent single adjustable's floating around.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

November 09, 2011 07:04PM
NoCoast
Thing is, people that spend over $5k on stuff aren't usually the people posting pictures of that shit broken.

Here's a good shot of Evo fronts - AST road race stuff in black, Ohlins in dirt:

Damaged AST (were used so cost less than $5k, so I figure its ok to post pictures):

Rest of the car:

Tire:

NoCoast
Heaven forbid if their wife finds out... Speaking of, how's that transfer case?

Dropping the car off on Friday to get the t-case pulled. Sounds like there's a chance it could just be a tube thingy that snapped, but will have to wait till it goes back to ShepTrans to get the final word.

Dave
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

November 09, 2011 09:16PM
DaveK

Any pics of how Ohlins, Proflex, & RS&SP do the ears? Curious if they've got the same type of failures happening.

Dave

I know Carl Siegler goobered his RS&SP when he tumbled at Rally MN. I dont know what he ran at LSPR, as he was having issues getting a hold of anyone at RS&SP. And no one had parts.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

November 10, 2011 04:07AM
john vanlandingham
fiasco
But...but...DMS has NEVER EVER BROKEN!!!! The guys in OzzieLand will tell you that over and over! The world can't continue to exist with such a paradox! Must be photoshopped.

grinning smiley

The old original Dave Clarke showed be the email saying that verbatim
''We have never had of failure of a DMS component in a rallycar ever.''

Yeah, don't even get me started. As many of you know I was the original DMS importer. You know that warranty that comes with the DMS suspension you pay thousands of dollars for? Go ahead and throw it out or use it to line the bottom of the birdcage or whatever. It don't mean shit. Jamie Drummond honestly thinks his shit don't stink. I had cases where there was an obvious design or welding flaw and he wouldn't stand behind his product. All he had to do was replace a housing but instead he would insist it was the customers fault. I'm not talking damage from big car breaking impacts that would break anybody's shock like you picture above but weld failures in normal operation. And then there were the all the issues with the 40 mm street shocks. Covering his ass on those put me in a lot of debt and look where it got me. Biggest mistake I ever made was getting involved with DMS.

There is a way to gusset those DMS strut brackets so they won't be so prone to twisting and tearing off, btw. Not that I could ever get DMS to do them that way from the factory....
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

November 10, 2011 08:45AM
The destruction pics really show how those things are made.

On the surface you see good thick ears, but at the end of the day you see a thin sheet metal type piece that wraps around the tube and a little bit thicker box inside there.

Really looks like they do this for ease of manufacturing. Slide the "sheet metal" piece up the tube to the right height, and buzz it on, then slip the "box" inside and weld it.

Only thing really holding the "meat" of the ears to the tube is the ~1" worth of weld top and bottom, and then a couple of "plug" welds..

The first strut shown in the photos looks like the owner tried to add some reinforcement, too bad it was in the wrong spot.

2 pieces of approx 1.5" x 1.5" 3/16" thick steel plate on each strut would go a very long way. "cap" the ears top and bottom.

http://www.rallispec.com/rssp_gallery_1.htm
alkun
Albert Kun
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 10, 2011 09:41AM
Do It Sidewayz
The destruction pics really show how those things are made.

On the surface you see good thick ears, but at the end of the day you see a thin sheet metal type piece that wraps around the tube and a little bit thicker box inside there.

Really looks like they do this for ease of manufacturing. Slide the "sheet metal" piece up the tube to the right height, and buzz it on, then slip the "box" inside and weld it.

Only thing really holding the "meat" of the ears to the tube is the ~1" worth of weld top and bottom, and then a couple of "plug" welds..

The first strut shown in the photos looks like the owner tried to add some reinforcement, too bad it was in the wrong spot.

2 pieces of approx 1.5" x 1.5" 3/16" thick steel plate on each strut would go a very long way. "cap" the ears top and bottom.

http://www.rallispec.com/rssp_gallery_1.htm

Ding ding ding! give the boy a prize! The way those things are put together is phoney, thats all there is to it. that wrap around taco shell thingy should be 3 times thicker and the "box" should be welded all the way around to the tube underneath it.

But in my Murphie's law view of things; all parts fail, its justs a matter of when.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

November 10, 2011 03:43PM
Doivi Clarkinen
Yeah, don't even get me started. As many of you know I was the original DMS importer. You know that warranty that comes with the DMS suspension you pay thousands of dollars for? Go ahead and throw it out or use it to line the bottom of the birdcage or whatever. It don't mean shit. Jamie Drummond honestly thinks his shit don't stink. I had cases where there was an obvious design or welding flaw and he wouldn't stand behind his product. All he had to do was replace a housing but instead he would insist it was the customers fault. I'm not talking damage from big car breaking impacts that would break anybody's shock like you picture above but weld failures in normal operation. And then there were the all the issues with the 40 mm street shocks. Covering his ass on those put me in a lot of debt and look where it got me. Biggest mistake I ever made was getting involved with DMS.
Sad but there's a lot of companies that continue staying in business just like that on behalf of good people that little to nothing have to gain. Sorry about your situation.
alkun
Albert Kun
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

November 10, 2011 08:27PM
These folks' shop is cleaner than mine...

http://www.rallispec.com/rssp_gallery_10.htm
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

November 10, 2011 08:44PM
Rallispec's customer service has been quite lacking from my direct and indirect experience.
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

November 10, 2011 09:23PM
Carl S
Rallispec's customer service has been quite lacking from my direct and indirect experience.

I was researching my suspension options a few weeks ago, and every RSSP dealer was either no longer a dealer, or hadn't seen a shipment in a long time. I am kind of curious what is going on with them.
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

November 10, 2011 09:35PM
Ian S
Carl S

I was researching my suspension options a few weeks ago, and every RSSP dealer was either no longer a dealer, or hadn't seen a shipment in a long time. I am kind of curious what is going on with them.

Rallispec isnt RS&SP. Rallispec is a NJ-based rally shop, I think they're the only "authorized" RS&SP dealer in the USA. RS&SP is Argentinean. I like RS&SP's stuff, but way too pricey for me. I'm not a fan of Rallispec.
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

November 10, 2011 11:21PM
these are 40mm, but maybe contact them and see if they have 50mm?

http://www.compbrake.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=544&catId=0
Ian S
Ian Seppanen
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Nissan 240SX

November 11, 2011 12:51AM
Carl S

Rallispec isnt RS&SP. Rallispec is a NJ-based rally shop, I think they're the only "authorized" RS&SP dealer in the USA. RS&SP is Argentinean. I like RS&SP's stuff, but way too pricey for me. I'm not a fan of Rallispec.

Oops, my mistake.

Alls I know is, Carl wasn't the only one having issues. There were a couple of threads on NASOIC about people having issues with stuff. But I digress.
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

November 11, 2011 08:33AM
Carl S
I'm not a fan of Rallispec.

yup. Dave didn't think that welding all the tubes in my cage was important.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login