Posted by Scott Manley 
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

HID Conversions?
January 03, 2007 01:30PM
I know this may have been mentioned elsewhere, but has anyone looked at or know anything about HID conversion kits ( that just replace the standard bulb, like a 9004, with a Xenon arc discharge bulb and ballast - but no projector)? This came up on another board and what seemed to be the major drawback was poor cut off and glare to oncoming traffic; which would not be a problem on stage, though still a problem on transit. I ask because these kits are getting way cheap on ebay, like around $130. Yes I know you get what you pay for, but I know lots of people with those cheap, $39.99, back lit guage overlays that work great.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

Re: HID Conversions?
January 03, 2007 02:17PM
You can retrofit a projector into your housing if you're concerned about glare, but it is possible to remove the lens and pait over those reflectors that are responsible for the glare spots. I've seen it done before.

If you want to learn more about all kinds of clever lighting projects, you might check out the HIDplanet forums. Not only are people retrofitting all manner of projectors into their cars, you are likely to find information on replacing tail/brake lights with LEDs; and not just cheap LED bulbs from the automotive aisle.

The simplest solution I can think of for a rallyist concerned about glare on transits would be to keep regular bulbs in the car, but consider an HID upgrade to those lights in the pods after dark. They're only on when you really need them, right?

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login