James Roberts
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'02 Mazda Craprotege 5

Re: Hi, Newb here!
April 15, 2012 11:16AM
Rallymech
Hello and welcome!

50% complete? What have you done that gets you to your first rally? Cage? 2 seats? Harnesses? First aid kit, triangle, tow strap, fire extinguisher and spill kit? Skid plate?

My point is that it is critical that you prioritize and stay focused. Basic maintenance is vital, painting is not.

No cage yet and skid plates yet. Ive got all the other stuff you listed. Im waiting to get a suit and hans closer to my first rally. I know that painting isnt critical i just felt bad for not working on the car at all because of my surgery. Ive only done what ive been able to.

I should be back to normal soon and i can get some more work done.

http://rallyhq.weebly.com/
Please Login or Register to post a reply
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

April 16, 2012 11:48AM
electric_eel
I plan on Sandblast 13 being my first event.

I think Sandblast is probably one of the worst 2WD rallies to enter in my opinion. Roads just don't suit 2WD that well. Heavy ruts, very loose surface.

Being from Ohio, have you considered Sno*Drift or STPR Winter Rally? Even 100AW is not that much further away for you than Sandblast with far better roads that you can enjoy in a 2WD car.

But if you got your heart set on Sandblast, go for it!
electric_eel
James Roberts
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'02 Mazda Craprotege 5

April 17, 2012 03:29PM
BillyElliot
electric_eel
I plan on Sandblast 13 being my first event.

I think Sandblast is probably one of the worst 2WD rallies to enter in my opinion. Roads just don't suit 2WD that well. Heavy ruts, very loose surface.

Being from Ohio, have you considered Sno*Drift or STPR Winter Rally? Even 100AW is not that much further away for you than Sandblast with far better roads that you can enjoy in a 2WD car.

But if you got your heart set on Sandblast, go for it!

I dont actually have my heart set on it. It was basically just to give me a goal to work toward. I have my doubts about having the car ready by then. I had planned on entering 100AW after Sandblast so 100AW might end up being my first event.

Too many unforseen problems with the build. Extra expenses for the car and unexpected medical expenses.

electric_eel
James Roberts
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'02 Mazda Craprotege 5

April 23, 2012 07:45PM
Well I put new stock struts on. (yes i am using stock for now because i want to get on stage first then worry about 3000 dollar suspension later)

I had an unbelievably hard time getting the endlink nuts off. I had to grind one off. I did finally get it all sorted. I put my mud flaps on as well.

Not too much more to do now. Just a cage (haha just a cage), skid plates, driver safety stuff. Co driver is buying computer and intercom.

Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

April 23, 2012 08:15PM
make sure to bring yourself a few more stock struts along for spares.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 23, 2012 08:39PM
Gravity Fed
make sure to bring yourself a few more stock struts along for spares.

Hey you could mention that it hain't $3000 for good boingers...
Your suspenders are loaded into the car ready for UPS.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
electric_eel
James Roberts
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'02 Mazda Craprotege 5

April 30, 2012 09:18AM
Well I took the car to a local rallycross just for a shakedown. The car seems well sorted. The handling was well on the stock suspension. Well the stock rates anyway. The struts are gas instead of oil. The dmacks provided much confidence in the dry conditions. It rained during the lunch break and turned the field to mud. It was like driving on grease. I also wanted to get the hang of driving the front drive car rally-ish style. I rallycrossed stock awd in a Legacy and it is a totally different style of driving.

Now that I have "tested" the car I am going to focus all my time and money on stage rally. Rallycross is just a pain in the arse for not much return on investment. e.g Fun. Not much fun to be had. 60 bucks for 5 minutes of racing. Multiply that by 10 events and youve got a big chunck of money to throw at the rally car.

Here is a pic before it got dirty. I had to put the old bumper back on because the new one i put on fell off. It was a bumper for the sedan and didnt fit too well. The internets lied and said it would fit. So I bought it. It was cheap luckily. I will just have this one painted up with a rattle can to make it look a little better.

electric_eel
James Roberts
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
'02 Mazda Craprotege 5

May 21, 2012 10:33AM
Well I went out on Saturday to do a little work on the car and I'll be damned if something else didnt just break.

I went to move the car out of its spot so I could get ramps under the front wheels so I could start working on the exhaust and the power steering went out.

As I was backing out I tried turning the wheel and it was easy at first then it became very difficult to turn. This happened off and on like using a light switch. Off and on every second. And when it came back on there was a squeal from the engine bay. Kind of like a loose belt. I checked the tension and it was fine however there was power steering fluid all over the pump. No hoses were broken or unattached.

Any ideas what would cause that?

Time for a new power steering pump I suppose. Sucky because that just puts me farther behind in my build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login