webkris
Kristopher Marciniak
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2003 Dodge Neon

Breathing again...
March 06, 2007 01:00AM
Well - It is what it is.
I now have the info straight and I've put some polite feedback to RA that they should crumple up Appendix 1, turn it sideways, put it behind them, and - well n/m...

We'll get those door bars straight, add an A-pillar brace, and a halo V. We'll be good to go. I thought we were all cool with our X in the main hoop and bigger tubing - now that is all standard fare.

rally on...
- Kris

Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Breathing again...
March 06, 2007 01:08AM
webkris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well - It is what it is. No Chris, when you whine when you didn't ask, and give me shit because I asked a question, a real man would say "Aw shit I guess I got pissed cause these 3 organisations can't wrote a rule book in the last 5 years and I was...." whatver.
And maybe answer the question with something other than a answer equivalent to "like whatever dooooood".

I'm trying to learn too, and one thing I rarely understand is when guys gotta get creative, specially since thats usually where problems start.
THAT's whaty I asked, not to fucking argue, so i can better understand someting that i clearly don't have any insight into.
>
>

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
webkris
Kristopher Marciniak
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2003 Dodge Neon

crikey...
March 06, 2007 01:18AM
John -
Realize that "What the fuck" is an AWESOME way to start a question and I took "your help" to heart.
Realize that I'm trying to help new people get into the sport myself and I need to know what you're getting at. My chip is that I gave them bad advice - and I realize thats MY FAULT.

sorry to have snapped back - but you could have been more polite. :|

You should know what it feels like to have everything you do considered, attacked, questioned, etc. Think about that the next time you flog your advice around.

- Kris
"Mr. Sensitive"
Alos tired of kissing ass and still getting treated like shit anyway.

webkris
Kristopher Marciniak
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2003 Dodge Neon

the story.
March 06, 2007 01:36AM
Okay

Here it is. Since you asked.

The door bars were originally (2003) designed by Brent Hatch in VT. He does the Tim O'Neil school cars, so I figured he'd be a good choice in a cage builder.

I wanted a way to make the car easy to jump in and out of and daily drive. THAT is what he came up with for my Neon. Ron Wood was like - "It's different, but it's strong." when he log booked MY car in 2005.

CUT to present day - We're building the cage for the new guys. I tell Larry Gross (cage builder) that my door bars have raised eyebrows before, and maybe that's not the direction we want to go. After looking at the way the window cranks would need to be modified. We both look at the rules (Appendix 1) and decide that it's still a good idea to keep the front bar low with support in there.

Is this how bad ideas propigate? - I guess so.
I clearly see what's got to be done, and I do appreciate everyones help. I was blindsided while second guessing myself. I hate to get shit like this wrong.

John - I hope we're cool.

And that is the all from me...
- Kris
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: the story.
March 06, 2007 12:59PM
Chris, the fucked up run around you're getting is the same ol same ol and maybe that also something I'm tired of. You gotta know, you should know, that I have talked guys into think rally, wrestled them to the ground, taken them for rides, taken them out as co-drivers and drug more than 30 guys into the rally world over the years, helped most of them build cars, and in the last few years seen the sport just rocket of of reach of all but a few guys who are independently wealthy who also just happen to have "bought" the sport.
And so now to protect the private fortune of 1 individual, all sorts of writing and re-writing of the rules has been going on and so much of it has broken down, that its beyond not funny, its fuckin pitiful.
And i guess it getting me tired and pissed.

And my motor for my car is back together so now the issue of dealing with an idiotic process is closer, and I dread it. (Cage built in 1999 to the current FIA rules, not logbooked, now god knows what I'll have to do).
You understand?

Anyway, my whole point was don't look at questions about stuff as personal attacks, stuff is not YOU.
Don't call people names and say that random respones or observations are "asshat".
Nobody is obliged to answer anything, particularly unasked questions.

So yeah, everythings all OK, I don't hold grudges. (I may write people off as not worth dealing with if I see they're just purposely liars, slanderers, weasles etc and believe me there are some slime balls out there, guys who write others private emails distorting shit and "warning" people because they didn't get everything they wanted for nothing).

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
starion887
starion887
Infallible Moderator

Re: and so it begins... Rally Neon #2
March 11, 2007 09:18AM
webkris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > 2. RA - NASA - Make the rule book HUMAN READABLE!
> The cage builder and I sat in front of that
> rulebook for an hour making sure that we got it
> right. WTF People...
>

Hey Kris: Point well made. This has been in the works for several months and it's my issue to get back on it and finish it up. Sorry, work just keeps happening!

One thing I would like to see in your cage: I see the main hoop set back a fair distance behind the B pillar; there are often good reasons for this with large folks trying to fit in samll cars! This concerns me as there is a possibility of the B pillar being crushed in on you. Also, there is a long span between the tops of the A pillars and B pillars. This situation can be improved greatly by placing a longer diagonal from the B pillar to the bars over the door openings; this should be long enough to be welded about 12-15" down the B pillar and the same distance out on the bar over the door opening. It may need to be bent outwards for good helmet clearance, and needs the SFI 45.1 padding.

Regards,
Mark B.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 11, 2007 02:04PM
Mark. With the new requirement for a main hoop X, most cars will have to be like that now. At least every 4 door Subaru will anyhow.

Grant Hughes
starion887
starion887
Infallible Moderator

March 12, 2007 08:16AM
Good observation; I guess I'll give the same advice a lot! We're working on the NASA rules to give some different main hoop bracing options; I gotta get off the road and get that finished!

Regards,
Mark B.
nick the brit
Nick Taylor
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Subaru Impreza WRX

March 14, 2007 01:06PM
John, you have pm!

Nick Taylor.
Knobhead.
Los Angeles, CA.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login