Posted by BRAIDusa 
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru Outback Wagon EG33, 911 Carrera

Re: 911 Carrera RallyCross Project
December 21, 2013 08:27AM
We've been cracking on with tidying up the rear of the car we stripped a few weeks ago. It was a bit of a chore but is complete now. We had to wait for a gap in the schedule as we had to remove the seats, harness bar and harnesses to get back there but we managed it.

The first thing we had to address was this surface rust from a yet to be found water leak.

We hit it with a wire brush and some rust treatment.

The next challenge was to remove the old dry glue residue. We tried many solvent products but settled on decal remover, a scraper and many, many Scotch pads (not shown) as the best solution. It took a while as working in the confined space with the chemicals required many tea breaks.

Once it was cleaned up we brushed on a couple of coats of Rustoleum and job done.

We only did the rear for now. There's not much weight savings to be gained in the front and it's less beneficial than what we removed from the rear. Plus there's a lot of stuff to deal with to get at everything so it can wait for now. We did clean up the transmission coupling cover by applying a sheet of carbon fibre look vinyl. I know it's pretentious but its the holidays.

If anyone can make use of the parts we removed let me know. Most of it is in at least serviceable condition.

smiling smiley

Paul Eddleston
BRAID Wheels USA www.BRAIDUSA.com
Team Illuminata Motorsport www.teamilluminata.com
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

December 21, 2013 10:42AM
Is that the same paint people use for roll-on pain jobs, he asked pointedly?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

December 21, 2013 04:19PM
I really don't know.

Paul Eddleston
egdinger
Eric Dinger
Mod Moderator

December 22, 2013 03:44PM
Pete
Is that the same paint people use for roll-on pain jobs, he asked pointedly?

Yes it is.
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

December 23, 2013 03:05PM
After the diet the car's been one we thought it might be an idea to weigh it again so we drove it onto the four post lift and onto the scales.

and added 150lbs of driving gravel.

New total weight 2632lbs and that's with the rally wheels on. Last time we got 2705lbs with the autocross wheels on, about 40lbs lighter than this setup.

We also managed to improve the weight distribution by jacking up one of the front torsion bars. Can you tell which one?

We also had a go at aligning the car with strings.

That went pretty well too.

smiling smiley

Paul Eddleston
sackytar
Rob Sackyta
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
WRX In Progress

January 07, 2014 06:11PM
Nice build thread Paul!!!!!! Wish I woulda saw this before I saw the car finished at Detroit RallyX events!!

Rob
Devil Bat Racing
Grand Rapids Mi
Planet Earth

https://www.facebook.com/devilbatracing

http://www.robsackyta.com/
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

January 08, 2014 06:46AM
sackytar
Nice build thread Paul!!!!!! Wish I woulda saw this before I saw the car finished at Detroit RallyX events!!

Thanks Rob. It's not finished so subscribe!

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

January 21, 2014 10:19AM
Feels like we haven't updated this thread for a while and that we haven't worked on the car. Well it's been just a few weeks and when I look at find we've done many. many small jobs and a couple of events. I'm blaming the holidays. So what have we been up to? Well:

We cleaned it:

Bought an iPhone holder:

Replaced a few noisy blowers with less noisy ones.

Tried some thinner oil as we can't get the oil temperature up in these cold winters days.

Did a RallyCross and a TSD

Got it buried.

Replaced the sliders on the drivers seat and added sliders to the passenger seat.

Put the big battery back in as the car is going to be a zero car at Sno*Drift rally and needs to start in the morning.

Swapped out the Winterforce tires for some Nokians as we seem to see a lot more ice than cold mud and snow.

And removed the radio as we needed somewhere to mount a switch for the lights.

So we have been busy after all. We also noticed this a few days ago. We missed the100,000 mile turnover as it happened on track but this made us smile.

This weekend we will take the car up to be a course opening vehicle at the Sno*Drift rally than, on the way home, we'll hit an ice race on Sunday. Should be a great long weekend.

Paul Eddleston
MThompsonjr115
Mike Thompson Jr.
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2006 WRX - In the ER

January 21, 2014 11:06AM
Car is looking great Paul! Keep up the good work!

Have fun opening the stages at SnoDrift!
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 01, 2014 07:59AM
Last weekend we got to take the car 4 hours north to the Sno*Drift Rally, round #1 of the Rally America series. No, we hadn't entered the car in the rally, but it was in the rally, as a "course car". We were hoping it was going to be a course opening car and run ahead of the rally but instead was delegated as a course closing car, running behind. As the whole point of the exercise was to get exposure for the car we were a little disappointed by this but we need not have been as the car was a big hit with the fans in the service areas and display parcs.

Normally for this event we'd put on a big BRAID Wheels display at the various venues but this year we just went with the course car role as I've actually never fully spectated here. Needed to fix that and did.

Temperatures, needless to say were frigid, being well below 0F most of the time. Still, as I like to believe, there is no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes (or tires). This adage was put to the test but me being frozen was not a feature of the weekend. The vehicles being frozen however, was.

Thursday afternoon, when I arrived in Lewiston, our home for the weekend, the poor Porsche was covered in road salt and not very happy. It did start but it didn't sound encouraging making me wonder if I'd actually broken the engine. Eventually it got over it's cold feet and sat in the snow purring away as usual. It was not a confidence inspiring moment as I retreated to our rented house for the evening.

Just arrived in Lewiston and about to take the car off the trailer. BBBRRRR!

Next day the rally took over downtown Lewiston with a Parc Expose and official start. Parc Expose is basically a free car show for rally cars and allows the fans to mingle not only with the cars but also the crews. Before I could get the car "inside" I had to scurry over to Atlanta (MI) to get it's credentials or it wasn't going anywhere. Decals suitable affixed I hurried back to find our driver for the weekend, Paul Fernadez and his wife, Kerry who would be looking after our precious vehicle for the duration. Now this car, as you know has been splattered all over various forums and has been seen at many events but it's never been exposed to the actual stage rally world in person. I must say I was absolutely stunned by the response of the people in Lewiston to the car as I trundled round down town looking for people I knew or needed to say "hi" to. Despite being surrounded by hundreds of thousands of Dollars worth of high end rally cars people turned their heads and were gob smacked by the 911. I could see them patting their pockets for their camaras, nudging their friends, taking pictures, giving thumbs up. It was incredible and took me completely by surprise. It was also quite gratifying I must admit and vindicated the decision to bring the car up.

I finally tracked down Paul and Kerry and parked the car in a free spot. Then we set to work installing the green light on the roof and his radio. Then Paul gave me a ride over to meet up with one of the stage captains, Jerry Shiloff as I'd volunteered to work one of the stages Friday, twice as it turned out. It was great fun working the corner we were on as it soon filled up with lot's of boisterous fans who kept us entertained between the cars showing up. Unfotunately I didn't get to see our car follow the race on this stage as it was sharing the task with another vehicle and only doing alternate stages.

Frozen Beer and Rally Cars: Sno*Drift 2014 > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

The corner/s I worked. An hour later it was full of crazy rally fans.

The car on stage waiting to swing into action.

See next post for day two.

smiling smiley

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 01, 2014 08:30AM
Sno*Drift Rally continued……

Freed from my work assignments of the previous day, Saturday was spent hanging out with my friends and spectatating the rally (for once). We started early by hitting the parc expose in Atlanta where I bumped into Paul and Kerry parked righ next to the ceremonial start. They explained how they were amazed by the reaction the car was getting and wished they had contacted an agent before taking on this job as they felt like celebrities and the fans like paparatzi with the amount of pictures they were taking. Job done!

Parked in Parc Expose seeing the competitors on their way.

Off to see a stage then. This is not NASCAR. This is not easy. What you have to do is get a map of route for the day. Pick a few stages you think you can get to before the rally does. Find a side road that intersects the course and hope you can get down it without getting stuck. Fortunately we had Ed Schowalter driving us in his 2013 Subaru WRX armed with a set of Blizzaks. Ed won the POR rally last year so he knows what he's doing too, not that it felt like that from the back seat. We managed to hit three of the stages and saw most of the remaining cars at some point but we still never saw our 911. Didn't get stuck though.

No such thing as bad weather............

We skipped the last stage as it was getting frigid and scurried back to the house for the evening. Paul delivered the car and gave me his report. he was stunned by the whole experience but I'll let him explain:

"Kerry & I had some Real Wheel Drive fun of our own at S-D. Worked out a deal with Paul Eddleston to use his '84 Porsche 911 for the weekend to get him some BRAID exposure throughout the weekend both on and off the stages. Expected to be running as 000, but was assigned Green Light instead.

I imagine that the 911, in the old Dakar-Rothmanns colors, was one of the most photographed cars in Northern MI over the weekend. EVERYWHERE we went, people were stopping to take pictures of the car. Kerry & I felt like celebrities being followed by the paparazzi.

This was my first experience with RWD on slippy stuff (except for karting in the rain), so I got off to an easy start on Friday as I gradually got used to the behavior of the 911. The brand new Hakka R2's were doing an excellent job of providing plenty of bite at the front. Moderate application of the accelerator in the tighter corners produced a "comfortable" level of over steer. Having lots of fun when possible, but not taking any chances either. No surprises...yet.

Apparently my confidence was increasing on Saturday morning. While transiting to the start of SS12, making the right onto Voyer Lake from M-33, gave it a bit too much gas after the apex and around we went. Fortunately no traffic and plenty of space to maneuver. Its ALL good. I got that out of my system (maybe?).

At the spectator area on SS12 (where Bruce & Suzy Beauvais were marshals), the extremely well-polished 90-right (after 2nd time through for rally cars) caught me off guard (compared to the rest of the stage up to that point) and around we went...again. We got a BIG cheer from Suzy. Bruce was upset he did not have his camera handy. We continued on without further incident until...

SS19 was another stage that was used twice, but it was my 1st time seeing it and it was completely dark. And as Jimmy mentioned, the spectator area was super slick. Getting on the gas a bit too soon on the nearly glare ice and..."it's time to make the donuts". Of course now we have NO momentum to get up the ensuing ice hill. I was scrambling for every bit of snow I could find, but we went nowhere. Then we got half way up with the help of 2 guys pushing the best they could. But it took a flat-tow from one of the marshals behind us in an Outback to make it to the top of the hill. It was a little disappointing because it was the first and only time that the 911 got "stuck" all weekend. But I think we could have made it up the hill with a proper run through that corner....maybe.

Anyway, Kerry & I had a great time in the 911. It was quite an experience. (Thanks Paul E.!)

-Paul"

Normally, on the Sunday after this rally I'd sleep in, tidy up our house and slide out of Lewiston around noon. This year I had other plans as I'd entered an ice race on Ross Lake which, in a rally drivers justification mind set was "on the way home". Well the RALIVAN had other ideas and refused to start as it was 0F outside and I guess it felt neglected. This is my first diesel and the first time I have tried to start it in these kind of conditions. No, it doesn't have a block heater but it will have one on Monday. We nudged the nose through the garage door as far as we could and after running a hair dryer on the engine for two hours finally gut the thing to fire up, though it wasn't happy about it. The Porsche, that had been in the garage overnight, was more than happy to start so we retrieved the trailer and loaded it up, way too late to make the ice race of course. It had occurred to me that it might be a bit ambitious to attempt a race the day after doing the rally but it was the Porsche I was concerned about not the van. That vehicle had no problems all weekend and just got on with it as usual. A truly amazing and versatile little work horse.

So when is the next ice race?

EVO X makes the 911 look tiny.

911 back safe and sound. RALIVAN scowling in the background. "Wait till tomorrow you stuck-up Limey".

Heading home, tail between legs. "I told you I'd get yer back."

Paul Eddleston
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

February 01, 2014 02:42PM
Awesome looking car by the way!

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 01, 2014 02:48PM
Gravity Fed
Awesome looking car by the way!

Thanks Alex.

BTW I lived in Santa Rosa for a few months in 1989. Nice area.

Paul Eddleston
BRAIDusa
Paul Eddleston
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

February 23, 2014 05:24PM
Three weeks since my last update. Interesting. Been working on the RALIVAN more than the Porsche I guess. still, there has been some action, mostly driving action which is the best kind. So I did get to do an ice race the week after the RALIVAN refused to take me to one.

The new Nokian tires were great but the ice was very polished under it's covering of snow and I only managed one run in which I did not spin the car. Ended up second in class, again, but not to my co-driver this time. To an RX7! Still, not a championship evet so it was fun just to let the rear hang out for a change. An interesting aside: I let the car (and the van for that matter) idle all day to get some heat into it. That worked to some extent but driving it made it loose a bit of temperature. Here it is sitting patiently.

Why do rally cars have skid plates? Because sometimes you drive them onto the trailer too fast. DOH!

Last week was back to our normal SCCA RallyCross program. The event was supposed to be held around the various dirt ovals of I96 Speedway but because of severe drifting (snow not cars) that area of the facility was out of bounds. Instead the organizers improvised a course in the snow covered field next door which worked out great except for being a bit bumpy. Less of a problem for the 911 than others I understand. So we finished first and second again with me coming second, again. There's more competition in Modified RWD class but the car still manages to kick arse.

I only hit one cone all day too and managed to get stuck in the snow just once this time and as it was after the finish it didn't cost me any time.

After my recent excursions into the snow banks I've come to appreciate that it's a lot easier on the volunteers with the tow truck if they know where your tow hooks are so today I stuck some stickers on to help them. The fronts are very accessible but the rears not so much.

My bumper appears to have a threaded hole for a tow hook (no pic, sorry) so I'm intrigued to see if I can find something to screw into that. Any ideas? Something like this perhaps?

While I was in sticker mode I removed the [URL="[url]http://www.thayerauto.com/"[/url];]Ralph Thayer [/URL] sponsor decals from the roof and added some new ones in front of the doors. A much more appropriate location I think.

[IMG]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1912542_10151931304370773_1949985223_n.jpg[/IMG]

Next RallyCross is March 22nd. That's like 4 weeks! I'm going to have to find some more ice racing before then.

smiling smiley

Paul Eddleston
corax
Keith Fritzinger
Professional Moderator

February 24, 2014 02:02PM
BRAIDusa
My bumper appears to have a threaded hole for a tow hook (no pic, sorry) so I'm intrigued to see if I can find something to screw into that. Any ideas? Something like this perhaps?

If you decide to rely on that type of tow point, make sure the part that it threads into (body side) is reinforced and up to the task. The eyelet itself should be fine for a straight forward pull (no sideway or angle pulls with these), but I don't think they're meant for much more than a short distance across flat smooth asphalt. We've seen several of them rip right out of the sheet metal, even on light pulls in the dirt, and when the mount lets go the tow strap will recoil like a rubber band, flinging that metal eyelet right at your would-be rescuers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login