Posted by Ckgtimk2 
danster
Haggis Muncher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

Re: Reinforcing VW control arms/subframe
January 21, 2013 02:27PM
They are not as common as the Golf mk4 stuff, that is for sure. But they are by no means rare to find.
Were there any smaller than a Golf VWs sold in the USA or Canada? Was there not one called a Fox or something?
Also did you get small Skodas or Seats? If you let me know what models you got I can cross reference parts to check to see if they could be sourced stateside.

The above setups came with a rear brake caliper using a 34mm piston, but 36, 38, and even a 40mm piston were fitted to vehicles over here. But they all used the same brake pad.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Please Login or Register to post a reply
TronDD
Tim Meunier
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 21, 2013 02:36PM
danster
Were there any smaller than a Golf VWs sold in the USA or Canada? Was there not one called a Fox or something?
Also did you get small Skodas or Seats?

Not in the US... Even Golfs are too small for most people in the land where everying bigger is better. Maybe in Canada?

Tim.
danster
Haggis Muncher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

January 21, 2013 02:44PM
TronDD
Not in the US... Even Golfs are too small for most people in the land where everying bigger is better.

Too many fat people with all their guns over there? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I suppose they would'nt fit in a smaller than Golf sized car.
But we got two sizes smaller than a Golf over here. Polo and Lupo. They even had 895cc 4 cylinder and 1.2 litre 3 cylinder petrol and diesel engines in them!

TronDD
Tim Meunier
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Subaru Impreza

January 21, 2013 02:52PM
If you can't fit a gun rack to hold your 50 cal sniper rifle and cyanide tipped armor peircing bullets, there is no point. Also, not enough cup holders.

I wish we could get an 80mpg diesel polo here. sad smiley We do get the 1.9L TDI's but nothing smaller.

We had the Fox in the 80's but they were replaced with the Jetta.

Tim.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 21, 2013 03:02PM
And no Skoda, no Seat...
Plenty of Skodas in China..

And here hardly anybody knows about the glorious history of Skoda in rally under the leadership of the great Pavel Janeba...wonder if any know the name John Hauglund? into the top 10 in WRC even against the GpB cars withthe great Super Estelle 130. with a 1300cc motor!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

January 21, 2013 03:45PM
Dan, You got part numbers for the Polo stubs, hubs, and discs for 4x100?

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Infallible Moderator

January 21, 2013 04:19PM
I don't want to know about these! I must finish the car and get on stage!!!
danster
Haggis Muncher
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

January 21, 2013 04:49PM
Josh Wimpey
Dan, You got part numbers for the Polo stubs, hubs, and discs for 4x100?

Hi Josh, The parts when bought new are a bit pricey iirc. I am not 100% you can actually order them in a dealers in the USA either. Please double check before committing to any order that they tally up 100%. I would not want one rogue number to be an incorrect part.
It's not beyond the bounds of possibility I could source them either new or used over here if required, however shipping may also be pricey due to the weight of all the parts.
Up to 2kg is fairly reasonable to send. I have shipped 2.0 16v ABF pistons to the states before and they just made it under 2kg wrapped with no rings!

Here are the part numbers to check:

Stubs (sided) : 6N0501118 & 6N0501117

Hub with nut and dust cap (not sided) : 6X0598477

Brake disc (not sided) : 6N0615601

Splash guards (sided) : 191615611D & 191615612B

You need 4 slightly longer caliper carrier bolts. They are M10 x 1.25 x 30

This site is well worth joining up for VW info. Once logged in the parts catalogue allows a great deal of info to be checked and cross referenced.
http://www.vagcat.com/

Tom B
Tom B
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

January 21, 2013 08:15PM
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

January 21, 2013 08:25PM
The whole idea of a bolt-on rear stub axle for a Mk2 that's both beefier and separates the rotor from the bearing races makes me all warm and tingly inside.

Wonder if we can arrange a bulk order from someone abroad who can get them.

*stares at Danny*

Self-righteous douche canoe
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

January 21, 2013 08:31PM
Oh yeah, Corey, what're you using for a front mount?

Ckgtimk2
Corey Kline
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Used and abused Mk2 GTI

January 21, 2013 08:33PM
So while we're all talking veedubyah's, What for rack boots are you guys using? (Great start, sounds lame I know). Here's what I'm thinking.... So right now I have whatever mk2 rack boots with the little tiny opening on the rod end, so when I need to replace a tie rod I have to pull the boot off the rack, then to swap the boot to the new tie rod I need to take the tie rod apart blah blah blah... Yes I could have spare boots already on the spare tie rods but boots can be a bitch at times when you have to deal with clamping or zip-tieing or whatever the boot back onto the rack. So I'm wondering if there is a rack boot out there that has the large opening on the rod end? Like the boots on a manual rack. I was going I try manual rack boots but the inners don't clamp they're just held on by a lip on the rack. The bigger opening would be titzzz for swapping tie rods, pop it over the inner rod end, replace tie rod, which could already be set to the correct length, pop boot back over and wham bam thank you ma'am. Could be quick enough to swap on a long transit??

Maybe this has already been done or you guys have already fingered out a better solution and I'm sitting alone in the dark, but if it has been done and someone has a part number for said boot or a better idea I'd like to hear it!!

I have tie rods with the "bushing" for the boot I speak of, but idk what they're from... Here's a pic.

Less talk. More rally.
Ckgtimk2
Corey Kline
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Used and abused Mk2 GTI

January 21, 2013 08:47PM
hoche
Oh yeah, Corey, what're you using for a front mount?

I've got the early style rubber mount. Round upright, not the hydro mount style. Someone filled it with urethane. The car has a "works" style mount on the block on the pass side, and also has the factory rear engine mount, again early style upright, filled w urethane. Fyi car has an ABA swap. The mounts seem pretty solid, I just figured I'd throw the factory trans mount in there for a little extra support on the tranny end since the top of the 5th gear housing doesn't seem to beefy. Has anyone come up with a way to reinforce the housing there? Or am I the only one breaking those bc I'm a noob who lifts just before launching off jumps??

Less talk. More rally.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 21, 2013 08:53PM
Tom B
.....whats this crajy stuff here now?

What I've been saying we should be doing for years, until you get the maroon thing in my driveway prepped.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

January 21, 2013 09:12PM
Ckgtimk2
I've got the early style rubber mount. Round upright, not the hydro mount style. Someone filled it with urethane. The car has a "works" style mount on the block on the pass side, and also has the factory rear engine mount, again early style upright, filled w urethane. Fyi car has an ABA swap. The mounts seem pretty solid, I just figured I'd throw the factory trans mount in there for a little extra support on the tranny end since the top of the 5th gear housing doesn't seem to beefy. Has anyone come up with a way to reinforce the housing there? Or am I the only one breaking those bc I'm a noob who lifts just before launching off jumps??

I have never broken the top of the transmission the way you're describing, but I use the standard 3-pt Golf mounts, not frame-rail mounts. The front-style mount you're describing is the one I was going to recommend, right down to the filling-it-with-eurethane part.

From what you're describing - ABA with frame-rail mounts etc...do you have Duplessis's old car?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login