Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

New Merkur Plug and Play ECU
May 02, 2007 11:32AM
Well, not new, it's an AEM unit.
http://www.enginemanagement.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=107

John and my favorite person, Turbo Joe Morgan, is going to be selling these as direct plug and play for the 2.3T engines for around $1000.

Info here, but requires a logon.
http://merkursport.com/index.php?showtopic=8476

Anyhow, here's what he says if you don't logon.
"In case anyone else is wondering...this is the ECU I'm going to use:
http://www.enginemanagement.com.au/product...products_id=107
It does pretty much everything you could possibly want. It'ss run off a crank-trigger and drive coil packs directly if you want, it will take a wideband (LSM-11) directly...has spare outputs...and the software kicks ass. You can edit real-time in the 3D maps, it had nice editing features so you can make changes quickly...it's hands-down the nicest "affordable" ECU I've ever messed with.

Another cool feature (or features) is that it's configurable, sensor-wise. It can be set up to use all the Ford sensors (air, water, TPS) with no extra parts/adaptation. It will also run the factory idle control solenoid. It has a built-in MAP sensor (3-bar, I think).

Anyways...I got hooked up with a guy who imports them and he's giving me a pretty smokin' deal (basically his quantity cost), just to move some more of them. I can sell them as-is for $850 shipped (to US, canada is a *little* more...maybe 5-10 bucks) with a "flying lead" harness. I'm planning on just finishing out the harness with another relay and stock sensor/distributor connectors to make it a plug-in deal. I'm going to make a base map and ship it with the plug-in setups, so that it'll fire and run right out of the box for $1000 shipped.

If you want to do a full-on crank-triggered deal with coil packs, just buy a stock setup. If you're looking for something simple, I'll have the other deal ready to go in a few weeks.

I'm pretty excited about this. I've been looking for a really nice affordable ECU that does everything "

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

Re: New Merkur Plug and Play ECU
May 07, 2007 02:18PM
For half the money you could get MS with a harness adaptor and base program ready to go. AEM is for Hondhus and all things rice.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 07, 2007 03:01PM
I was complaining about the 8 by 11 table in the Perfect Power just last week. Megasquirt is only 8 x 8. The AEM will do 26X11 which allows a little more fine tuning. The Haltech that we used on the Audi will do 32 X 32.

In all technicality, most of us on Rally Anarchy have the intelligence to be able to make any stand alone engine management work with pretty much any car given some time and a service manual.

There is something about Megasquirt that just doesn't feel good/right to me. Can't explain it, but it's there. Of course, engine management is probably wasted money on these cars. I really just want a flame spitting map for Parc Exposes.

Grant Hughes
Lurch
Eric Burmeister
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Mazdaspeed3 and Mazda Protege

May 08, 2007 04:26PM
I see a lawsuit comin'. That isn't the same AEM as the AEM that makes all the ricer "cold air intake" schtuff (and surprisingly capable ECUs). This seems to be another Australian startup and if they use that moniker (AEM) in the USA they may be DOA by the time the CEO gets a DUI on the PCH.

www.aempower.com is the "other" company.

Lurch
Eric Burmeister
The west coast...of Michigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2007 04:28PM by Lurch.
Scott Manley
Scott Manley
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4Ti

May 09, 2007 05:50PM
NoCoast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was complaining about the 8 by 11 table in the
> Perfect Power just last week. Megasquirt is only
> 8 x 8. The AEM will do 26X11 which allows a
> little more fine tuning. The Haltech that we used
> on the Audi will do 32 X 32.
>

Or you could use a modified Dodge SMEC ECU (even using the stock 2.2L program will gain you about 50hp on an otherwise stock XR) with something stupid like 100x100 resolution. But it doesn't used table look ups, like those others.

Scott Manley
Spokane, WA
86' XR4Ti
grebnut
Ben Rogoza
Mod Moderator

July 18, 2007 09:27PM
The basic Megasquirt'nSpark code all has 12x12 tables now. We haven't been using 8x8 tables for a couple years. Just FYI.

Ben Rogoza
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login