BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

Chevy T5 into 240
April 30, 2013 06:32PM
What's up folks.

So, For my next trick, I am going to be trying to get this trans, A Chevy T5 PN 1352-166 into my Volvo.

I've got all the big stuff, JV helped set me up with the adapters.
I just have a question about some of the little things, And I was hoping that someone here would have an answer.

I haven't gotten a solid answer as to what clutch fork people have used in the past to make this combo work. Does anyone here have any ideas on where I can get one that works out, or if a custom one has to be fashioned? All I have found was some mention of a 'Toyota truck' fork.

Thanks.

Rob R.

Enablers, All of you.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
coryg57
Cory Grunwald
Professional Moderator

Re: Chevy T5 into 240
April 30, 2013 09:44PM
Hey. I just finished my swap up using the T5 from a V6 camaro. I can write up some of the stuff I did, but it will have to be after Oregon Trail. Packing and prepping for now. I used the Volvo M46 clutch fork here:

With some spacers to fill in the gab on the throw out bearing from here:
http://www.kaplhenke.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=32
I had to grind the spacers so they were the right size to fit in my bearing.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

April 30, 2013 11:53PM
I was eyeballing those spacers, but seeing how they are listed as the ford model, I figured they were a no-go.
Glad to see they can be made to work grinning smiley

A write up would be greatly appreciated.
I am still in need of the clutch disc and the yoke and then i have to graft it to the volvo, so I can wait.

Quick question: with that set up, what TOB and disc did you use?

Enablers, All of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2013 12:03AM by BobOfTheFuture.
coryg57
Cory Grunwald
Professional Moderator

May 01, 2013 08:49AM
What are your plans for a clutch disk? I got a custom stage 1 spec clutch that was sized for the volvo flywheel but had the inner spline to fit my t5. That worked great. It was a hair thicker so I had to use some washers I got from JVAB when bolting on the pressure plate. I can't remember what they are called. You can ask JVAB about them though.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

May 01, 2013 11:36AM
Well, I had talked to JV about this a while back.

I think what I can gather from my crappy notes was that I was going to use a stock disc (I believe the splines are the same)
And per my notes: "PP typ 228"

I sort of remember that this was maybe.. a Saab part? Damn my crappy notes. I'll have to call him.

What throw out are you using?

Enablers, All of you.
fidel
lawrence knox
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
78" volvo 242

May 01, 2013 03:33PM
i'm actually finishing up the xmember for this swap for my DD today. i'll get measurments when i pull the stuff out of the mockup car. its on the lift so i'll try and snap some photos too.

the disc i used is a MB280e ? sachs SD655 , 1861 775 033 , 0112500903 WP , bar code 0860903781, way to many numbers on the box, i'll dig thru my catalogs and get the current sachs number

i used a chevy throw out, the shortest one.

and the oem volvo fork listed above. just had to remove a little legth off the pins and got some hardened tubing with the correct id and od , cut to lenght and pressed over the pins. i did have to take a little chunk out of the back of the fork and brace it to get the release clearance needed. and had to shim the pivot ball .

lawrence knox aka fidel
knox motorspors
knoxmotorsports.us
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

May 01, 2013 10:34PM
Why not just do a hydraulic throwout bearing?
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

May 02, 2013 01:46AM
I am not very familiar with hydraulic tob's, and keeping it cable seems like it would just be easier no?

Enablers, All of you.
fidel
lawrence knox
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
78" volvo 242

May 02, 2013 10:36AM
phlat65

a cable can be changed roadside in no time , its light and easy to carry a spare .
just make sure the motor is grounded well , most of the failures i see are from the cable working as the motor ground because the engine ground had failed.

hydraulic systems have more parts , heavier , requires fluid and bleed if a component fails , a pain in the rear to do on stage / roadside. if an internal slaves blows , fluid all over the clutch .

the only advantage i can think of for a hydro system is being able to have a easier pedal effort with real heavy pressure plates. but cables can do that with changing pedal or fork ratio .

lawrence knox aka fidel
knox motorspors
knoxmotorsports.us
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 02, 2013 11:04AM
fidel
phlat65

a cable can be changed roadside in no time , its light and easy to carry a spare .
just make sure the motor is grounded well , most of the failures i see are from the cable working as the motor ground because the engine ground had failed.

hydraulic systems have more parts , heavier , requires fluid and bleed if a component fails , a pain in the rear to do on stage / roadside. if an internal slaves blows , fluid all over the clutch .

the only advantage i can think of for a hydro system is being able to have a easier pedal effort with real heavy pressure plates. but cables can do that with changing pedal or fork ratio .

All very good points..
I like hydraulic because I'm used to it. And because it gives you signs of impending problems..(drip-drip-drip)
But The thought of having to remove the gearbox to get access to a annular slave is daunting, (on the other hand, those annular things are stupid reliable)
but then again i don't like working on cars so I want the work to be easy---like external slave cylinders are...or cables.

No need for heavy pedal, not with all the differnt pressure plates in use now..Saab 240 will hold around 350 ft/lbs, far in excess of what any 2wd car needs and its a light pedal.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

October 14, 2013 05:02AM
fidel
i'm actually finishing up the xmember for this swap for my DD today. i'll get measurments when i pull the stuff out of the mockup car. its on the lift so i'll try and snap some photos too.

and the oem volvo fork listed above. just had to remove a little legth off the pins and got some hardened tubing with the correct id and od , cut to lenght and pressed over the pins. i did have to take a little chunk out of the back of the fork and brace it to get the release clearance needed. and had to shim the pivot ball .

Trying to get this going again (no joke, every time I try to work on the Volvo life tries to put me in the hospital, or try take my apartment away)

Fidel- Ever get any of those pics? Why did you have to cut the fork/shim the ball? The throw out too tall?
Which TOB did you use- I was going to try the 87 Camaro one, but would like to not throw away $60 on something that doesn't fit.

Enablers, All of you.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 14, 2013 09:00AM
BobOfTheFuture
fidel

Trying to get this going again (no joke, every time I try to work on the Volvo life tries to put me in the hospital, or try take my apartment away)

Fidel- Ever get any of those pics? Why did you have to cut the fork/shim the ball? The throw out too tall?
Which TOB did you use- I was going to try the 87 Camaro one, but would like to not throw away $60 on something that doesn't fit.

Dood, Lawrence is re-trenching everything in life as he's been fucked up with some medical shit and I just on last Friday had the 7th surgery in last I dunno--4 years or some shit.. He sounded better on Friday thatn I did when we talked last or maybe that was Saturday--I was delirious (on DRUGS!) Friday---and busy painting half the apartment...

I now have some Volvo clutch arms and shit here so lemme look.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 09:01AM by john vanlandingham.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

October 14, 2013 08:08PM
John

Well, that's rough. Hope you both heal up. What's going on with you, still working on back problems?

I was pretty messed up as well, with some blood poisoning thrown in for good measure. As I paid that off (straight out of the 'cage the Volvo' fund which ran out far too early) my landlord kicked her husband out, then a few weeks later let us know she couldn't afford the house and the bank was knocking on the door.

Not saying I'm quitting- I'm saying I haven't, and I am back up to speed.

I have the fork/clutch arm dealie from a M47 and it seems its the wrong one (although correct stock part for my car as it is). I was going to try to get a M46 fork/arm with the pins and try to use the Kaplhenke blocks as CoryG above mentioned.
If you can look, that would be a great help John.
That still leaves the question of the TOB.

Also, I tried to call you today: I think I want to go with one of your flywheels if you have any made up. If you recall, you suggested wayyy back to use the stock with a motley of pressure plate and clutch discs... None of these am I sure what to use. I figure using your flywheel will simplify that, and save me adding it later. smoking smiley

Enablers, All of you.
coryg57
Cory Grunwald
Professional Moderator

October 14, 2013 08:17PM
Rob,

I used the throw out bearing out of a kit for a V6 chevy s10. I got it as part of a clutch kit, but you can find it by itself on rock auto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=219783&cc=1061053). Just make sure to verify the bore matches your input shaft diameter.
As for clutch disc, I called Lawrence and had him order me a Volvo clutch from spec but with a custom spline to match my input shaft. Pretty easy to get. It was a hair thicker so I had to get some nifty little washers from John to space the stock Volvo pressure plate up a little bit.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

March 17, 2016 04:09PM
John, From what Volvo trans was that modified bell housing from? M47?

Also, If you still have any, I need one of the mounts for the Chevy t5 to mount to your crossmember.

Enablers, All of you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login