Posted by Eric Ewert 
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

Re: Volvo 240 Rally build
September 01, 2015 02:27PM
Well pretty much done now. Not a lot to show as I had been working fairly heavy hours and trying to get through a online course on the side. That course finished 3 weeks ago though so now got some progress.

Forgot to grab a pic but the diff is complete... 4.88 with a supra diff + a max grip kit + a crush sleeve eliminator. Did the install myself; hopefully it doesn't blow up cause it was an absolute pain to set up the gears.

hydro ebrake installed with limiting valve and all new rear lines. bled it yesterday and its working with no leaks! t5 is good to go. don't have a speed sensor yet but hoping I can make the electronic one off the diff work. If not may just use a bike computer or a gps if I really need to.

MAF crapped for some reason while the car had been sitting. Replaced it today and car is running well.

Also built the exhaust... 3 inch which was unnecessary but finding 2.5 inch straight tube and mandrel bends locally wasn't happening so 3 inch is what went on. Not perfect and needs another hanger added to reduce movement but no clearance issues so far!

Also finally finished the brake adapters for the volvo calipers to toyota axle. If anyone is interested in how I did it I can post a few pics... its a two piece arrangement welded/ bolted together.

So just a few little brackets to support a few things like brake lines, etc. Buy some proper bolts for the 4 link, tighten everything down, fill the gearbox and diff with fluid and go for a drive to see what falls off first! Should happen in the next few days.

Anyone got a gear oil suggestion for the supra/ weir kit diff? Same for the non world class t5? I read somewhere 50w gear oil for the nwc t5 but can't find it. Would 75-90w be a terrible choice to try?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Attachments:
open | download - P1040830.JPG (55 KB)
P1040830.JPG
open | download - P1040831.JPG (61.2 KB)
P1040831.JPG
open | download - P1040832.JPG (23.1 KB)
P1040832.JPG
open | download - P1040834.JPG (50.2 KB)
P1040834.JPG
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 01, 2015 03:21PM
I thought T-5s used ATF.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 01, 2015 03:39PM
NoCoast
I thought T-5s used ATF.

Yepp thought so too Dextron..or whatever...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

September 01, 2015 03:41PM
From what I understood that was just for the wc stuff with the wizzy syncros but I could be wrong...
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mega Moderator

September 01, 2015 04:28PM
Non-world class T5 uses standard gear oil. GL4/5 75w-90 or so. Basically the same as what you'd use in the diff.

I remember Weir recommending non-LSD oil in the Supra diff. So you should be able to use the exact same oil for the diff and trans. Or you could step up to a heavier diff lube, like Redline Shock Proof or something.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 01, 2015 07:51PM
Eric. Believe what you want but interesting note:

02-11-2008, 11:00 AM #20
iroc_zz

Car: 1985 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 H.O.
Transmission: 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 7.5" 10 bolt, 4.10, torsen posi

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Re: T5 FAQ - Everything we know about the T5
I work at Zumbrota Bearing and Gear, a rebuild facility for manual transmissions and we recommend running ATF in all the rebuilt T5 transmissions that we sell.

I believe people get confused on what to put in the non-world class because each manufacture that used the non-world class transmissions (i.e. Ford, Chevy, AMC, and Nissan) recommended a different fluid. Ford and GM say to use ATF, AMC said to use 5W-30 motor oil and Nisasn said to use 80W-90 gear oil. All of the non-world class transmissions are basically the same internally so you should be able to use any of the three recommended fluids with out damaging the transmission. You will see better shifting quality when using ATF but it all comes down to personal choice on what you want to run.

We have found that running synthetic fluids in transmissions with brass synchronizer rings, like the non-world class, causes shifting problems over time. It seems like the synthetic fluids leave residue on the synchronizer rings and cones and does not allow the rings to grab the cones like they need to.

According to ZF the required fluid for the ZF6 is GM# 1052931 and is replaceable by Castrol Formula RS 10W60, the GM part number for synchromesh is 12345349. Amsoil recommends using their synchromesh part number MTF in place of both the 1052931 and 12345349 (it is a synthetic formulated 5W-30).

The o-ring you are looking for should be available at most part houses in the universal o-ring kits they offer. Just take your old one in to match up.
iroc_zz is offline vBGarage Page Reply With Quote

jueye rolling smileys saying

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

September 01, 2015 08:29PM
So use oil. Just put SOME oil in it. It's basically an old truck transmission anyways. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

September 01, 2015 10:50PM
eric, i eagerly await tales of action! looks awesome! can't wait to hear how the 4link works. good work man!
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

September 02, 2015 11:44PM
Thanks guys. I have no idea where you found that bit of info john but thank you. Im pretty sure I got tons of atf so Ill throw some of that in tomorrow and if how it is!

Paul i hope the 4 link works well too! good amount of work into it so it better!
dalspaugh
David Alspaugh
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
'91 Audi Coupe Quattro

September 03, 2015 07:59AM
I must say, as the owner of a dirty, smelly, unfinished shell... this car looks great!

Some good inspiration to continue onward with my car. smileys with beer

Blog about my history with the rally car written for non-automotive folk: davescq.wordpress.com
Robert Culbertson
Mega Moderator

September 03, 2015 02:35PM
Not trying to beat a dead horse or start an oil war, the people over on Bobistheoilguy do a good enough job on that.

In the linky-poo that John posted, they recommended either synchromesh or 5w-30 engine oil over ATF. I've found that 10w-40 motor oil in the craptastic Volvo m46 is about the best thing out there for that trans.

I ran ATF in my Moostang with a WC T5, and it shifted great for about a month before it started getting slow. Switched over to Pennzoil Synchromesh and it has been infinitely better. No crunchy shifts while changing gears when it's bouncing off the rev limiter.

These guys also think that synchromesh is the bees-knees as well: http://www.pro-forceperformance.com/t-5_history.htm

Transmission Fluid
BorgWarner allowed each manufacturer to choose the lubricant for its particular application, but it seems that BorgWarner's recommendation was Dexron-II ATF from the very beginning. GM adopted the Dexron, as proven by the stickers placed on each transmission. Ford adopted Dexron as their official fluid, as proven by specifying the ATF product in their original 1983 and 1984 Field Service Manual publications. For some reason, AMC chose to continue specifying gear oil instead of ATF. The early style of Dexron is no longer available. Generic ATF such as DEX/MERC is a suitable substitute. A Ford dealer will recommend their Mercon-V ATF which is also a good substitute.

Many Internet sources insist that gear oil should be used in the Non-World Class T-5, but the documentation above clearly reveals that both Ford and GM chose to use ATF from the start. Using gear oil in a Non-World Class transmission will not significantly damage the transmission, but many times, due to Internet confusion as to what is, and is not, a World Class T-5, gear oil has been mistakenly used in the World Class units.

Update on Dexron VS Gear oil for NON-World Class T-5's:
Dexron-III ATF replaced Dexron-II in 1993. While Dexron-III meets or exceeds the previous specifications, the viscocity of Dexron-III is thinner than the original Dexron-II that was specified for the NON-World Class T-5. This thinner fluid is fine for the World Class T-5 with the lined synchro rings, but the NON-World Class T-5 with the brass synchro rings needs a thicker fluid to work optimally. As a result, Tremec has specified 30W MOTOR OIL for the NON-World Class T-5's. While Tremec has not published an official document about this, it is confirmed by an email dated 1/9/2012 from a Tremec Engineering/Support employee.

WARNING: Using gear oil or motor oil in a T-5 with the composite lined blocker rings found in the World Class T-5's will destroy the blocker ring linings over a period of a few months rendering those synchronizers useless.

Carry on, the car looks great mang!
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

September 10, 2015 11:57PM
IT WENT AROUND THE BLOCK!!!!

That is all. As an added bonus nothing exploded in its 300 meter excursion. drinking smiley
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

September 11, 2015 03:17PM
Good Work!!
MattP
Matt Pullen
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

September 11, 2015 08:09PM
Are you going to be ready for PFR then?

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 12, 2015 09:50AM
MattP
Are you going to be ready for PFR then?

If he has any brain cells left, he will go and drive the car for a couple of thousand km since its pretty stupid to build a car unlike anything he's owned, with tons of things to shake down and settle into it, without any experience learning the car's capability a little, before wasting money on entries just so he can satisy some immature whim and then shout on some forum...

And so far in some lengthy talks during the whole course of this build, he certainly seemed to have 'some brain cells left".

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login