Posted by Eric Ewert 
Paul Buck
Paul Buck
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Volvo 242 in progress

Re: Volvo 240 Rally build
January 05, 2017 04:46PM
I'm sure there's plenty wrong with coffee, but keep in mind that tea plants are flourine accumulators and store flouride like crazy if watered with florinated water. So, if you use hippy toothpaste sans flouride, your tea is likely delivering more flouride to your body than flouride toothpaste.

Lots of hippy dippy info about it out there, but here's a research paper on the subject.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15237954
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 05, 2017 06:33PM
Paul Buck
I'm sure there's plenty wrong with coffee, but keep in mind that tea plants are flourine accumulators and store flouride like crazy if watered with florinated water. So, if you use hippy toothpaste sans flouride, your tea is likely delivering more flouride to your body than flouride toothpaste.

Lots of hippy dippy info about it out there, but here's a research paper on the subject.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15237954

Well then, might just have to run a test on our ISE and figure out how much fluoride there is. Wife tests Fluoride levels in stuff daily at her lab. I know we've done tea for customers in the past as they searched for where the high level of Fluoride in their piss was coming from.

Grant Hughes
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

January 05, 2017 08:47PM
Thanks for the tea enlightenment while I slog through this. Now that I know more than id like on the subject of tea...

I atleast now know why it doesn't close proper... the bottom corner of the door is interfering where the b pillar merges into the rocker panel. You can see the scuffs where it has been hitting in the photos. Fyi it still hits with all hinges detached (did this to eliminate the idea that I could get away with just opening the hinge mounting holes up a bit)

So I took some measurements both vertically and horizontally. Things seem to match up with the good side of the car. With that in mind i am aware that body shells aren't known for being the most symmetrical of things.

From what I see separating the b-pillar is far from ideal: The inside portion of the pillar is actually stamped with the rocker panel. in other words moving the outer b pillar would result in some seriously misaligned panels.

Suggestions, ideas? Am i missing something obvious?
Attachments:
open | download - P1050074.JPG (47 KB)
P1050074.JPG
open | download - P1050080.JPG (47.1 KB)
P1050080.JPG
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

January 05, 2017 09:20PM
Hammer, door, done.

Rally on
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

January 05, 2017 10:24PM
Don't tempt me, i've got a 10 ton porta power in the shop right now.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 05, 2017 11:39PM
Mad Matt F
Hammer, door, done.

Rally on

Grant Hughes
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

January 06, 2017 12:21PM
Eric Ewert
John: As a result of having still not watching that damn movie I can't say too much (are you really that surprised?) drinking smiley Though I may have to find use for the word bambleweeny.

Read the book. Or listen to the radio play. Or watch the TV programme. Or play the text adventure game.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

January 06, 2017 12:33PM
Not sure if you guys are serious but that isn't happening, panel gaps are out too. Im starting to think the thing needs to take a trip to a frame rack/ jig thing and if need be pulled out. Does anyone have a factory service manual or something with proper datum points for measurement? I took some basic measurements before trying to fix this but i'm thinking I should dive a bit further.
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

January 06, 2017 12:57PM
Snarky comment:
Are you making a show car or a rally car? drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 12:57PM by Robert Culbertson.
Eric Ewert
Eric Ewert
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 240

January 06, 2017 01:19PM
Making it functional. You've seen it in person and know it is far from a show car.

Edit: I should elaborate on the panel gap thing. They are out to the point where the doors bind up on eachother. It isn't an appearance concern its a matter of the things actually working.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 01:54PM by Eric Ewert.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 06, 2017 03:10PM
Eric Ewert
Making it functional. You've seen it in person and know it is far from a show car.

Edit: I should elaborate on the panel gap thing. They are out to the point where the doors bind up on eachother. It isn't an appearance concern its a matter of the things actually working.

Snarky comment #2 - Hammer both doors?

Go to local body shop. Find guy with the Hoonigan sticker on his car. Recruit him to come over and check it out in trade for a twelver of Kokannee.

Grant Hughes
dreamsofjvl
Sancho Panza
Junior Moderator

January 06, 2017 04:30PM
Eric Ewert

Do you know/have heard of Jan/John (pick whichever way you want to call him) out in Cochrane?

He'll tell you what is what if you can drop the car off. I was very happy with the $1k I spent with him after Rocky. It might cost some money as time is money, but he'll probably do an assessment for basically free if you bring it to him.
mekilljoydammit
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

January 06, 2017 06:18PM
Pete
Eric Ewert
John: As a result of having still not watching that damn movie I can't say too much (are you really that surprised?) drinking smiley Though I may have to find use for the word bambleweeny.

Read the book. Or listen to the radio play. Or watch the TV programme. Or play the text adventure game.

Playing the text adventure game is about impossible without reading the book though, though it does take me back to 6 year old me trying to figure it out anyway.
Pete
Pete Remner
Godlike Moderator

January 06, 2017 06:26PM
mekilljoydammit
Pete
Eric Ewert

Playing the text adventure game is about impossible without reading the book though, though it does take me back to 6 year old me trying to figure it out anyway.

Reading the book didn't necessarily make it easier. I remember running through every possible synonym for "planet" before finding the one that didn't get a "Who cares about dirt?" response from Ford. I mean, I knew what was expected of me to do, but dammit the game was just being frustratingly particular. Rather like a Vogon, in retrospect.

Either way, the book's old, the radio play is literally a day younger than I am and I'm... not 40 yet. The movie is some newfangled thing that we all got along without just fine for many years.

Also, one should read the Dirk Gently books as well. Help you see how everything is interconnected, whether it be record executives with their heads on (Japanese) turntables, or Volvo B-pillars that don't fit right.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 06:27PM by Pete.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 06, 2017 09:16PM
Pete
mekilljoydammit
Pete
Eric Ewert

Reading the book didn't necessarily make it easier. I remember running through every possible synonym for "planet" before finding the one that didn't get a "Who cares about dirt?" response from Ford. I mean, I knew what was expected of me to do, but dammit the game was just being frustratingly particular. Rather like a Vogon, in retrospect.

Either way, the book's old, the radio play is literally a day younger than I am and I'm... not 40 yet. The movie is some newfangled thing that we all got along without just fine for many years.

Also, one should read the Dirk Gently books as well. Help you see how everything is interconnected, whether it be record executives with their heads on (Japanese) turntables, or Volvo B-pillars that don't fit right.

I second Dirk Gently and his Holistic Detective Agency..May as well start off with something with a connection to this problem and read "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul"..

Howuzzat for a segue?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 12:14PM by john vanlandingham.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login