Posted by SeanP 
SeanP
Sean Lane
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Dodge Neon G2, bruised

Re: Working with Kevlar?
June 10, 2013 04:24PM
Is the epoxy something to try to source locally or should I find an online/ebay vendor for it? Same for Kevlar. It looks like sheets of kevlar are on ebay.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DaveK
Dave Kern
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

June 10, 2013 04:34PM
SeanP
Is the epoxy something to try to source locally or should I find an online/ebay vendor for it? Same for Kevlar. It looks like sheets of kevlar are on ebay.

I've gotten stuff both locally and shipped. I think epoxy resin is ok to ship, but polyester resin isn't. I've used poly for building molds because its way cheaper, but for the actual parts, use epoxy.

Dave
SeanP
Sean Lane
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

June 10, 2013 04:46PM
If I wanted to make a mold of my existing tank skid to make a whole other skid, what should I use as a release layer? Basically coat/sheet the inside and then build up my layers of fabric.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

June 10, 2013 04:51PM
SeanP
If I wanted to make a mold of my existing tank skid to make a whole other skid, what should I use as a release layer? Basically coat/sheet the inside and then build up my layers of fabric.

I wouldn't bother. Take a couple strips of material and run them up over the top of the tank and you'll ensure there's no way the existing one could ever come off.

When I converted the Evo over to a mostly tarmac car I wanted to remove the weight of the kevlar panels. I had to use a 3' long pry bar and hang off the bottom of the car to get it to separate...it was a bitch.

But, to answer your question about building a mold, you'd use wax, more wax, even more wax, and finally some PVA release agent. Then when the mold cures, you start prying up the corners and flood it with water. Then curse, bitch, stab fingers, scrape arms, etc to get the part off.

Dave
SeanP
Sean Lane
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

June 10, 2013 05:27PM
LOL. Thanks for the help, Dave. I am going to build a second Neon for the inevitability of the event that wreck this one (again). Would like to have another skid ready to go built from the existing.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

June 10, 2013 05:31PM
SeanP
LOL. Thanks for the help, Dave. I am going to build a second Neon for the inevitability of the event that wreck this one (again). Would like to have another skid ready to go built from the existing.

From my experience with molds, I don't see it being worth the time or hassle. Since all you've got to do is cut up a few strips and lay them on the tank, it won't take much time to do a 2nd or 3rd.

Keep in mind too that the mold can't have any parts that would keep you from being able to remove the part from the mold (sorta hard to explain, but think of the compound curves) and your molded part will likely end up offering less coverage than doing it on the tank.

Dave
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

June 10, 2013 06:18PM
Best price on Kevlar and epoxy I got from Aircraft Spruce shipped.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
DaveK
Dave Kern
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

June 10, 2013 06:30PM
I just placed an order from USComposites.com. Showed up in good condition and was pretty quick. I have ordered some stuff from Aircraft Spruce, but I think unless they're running a special, there are cheaper places out there.

I opted for the 38" wide kevlar because with the 50" there's extra cutting you always have to do...did I mention cutting kevlar sucks balls? Also, with kevlar you don't want the standard weave pattern as it doesn't drape all that well. I use a 5.0 oz cloth with a slightly different weave pattern.

http://www.plasticareinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=I5720&Category_Code=Specialty_Materials

Not sure how good/bad the epoxy will be from uscomposites, but I will probably get to work with it in the next week or so. It was ~$125 for a 2.5 gallon kit and I'd paid $180 for a 1.5 gallon System Three Silvertip kit last summer. Silvertip was recommended to me as great to work with...but its damn pricey. My next project doesn't need to look good at all (air tunnels for rear radiator), so figured I'd try out some cheaper stuff.

Dave
Rallymech
Robert Gobright
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
91 VW GTI 8V

June 11, 2013 02:52PM
I got the blue tape to pull off just fine after the resin had tacked up a bit.

Robert.

"You are way too normal to be on Rally Anarchy." Eddie Fiorelli.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login